FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 518027 times)

Badbrad2186

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #4320 on: Jul 19, 2021, 05:21 PM »
Possibly knettlesl

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4321 on: Jul 19, 2021, 05:35 PM »
Jezzz Bob..   Hope it goes away soon..   
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4322 on: Jul 19, 2021, 06:46 PM »
Ruled out stinging nettles. I know them from stream fishing and an encounter or two. Nothing like wild parsnip either. I’m not too bad at identifying plants. But, I pulled so many weeds I really can’t determine which it was.

Upped the Zyrtec dose today. Hoping it calms this down. I’m about ready for good old fashioned calamine lotion.

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Dirt23

« Reply #4323 on: Jul 20, 2021, 05:46 AM »
Be on the lookout for white and black catipilars hickory tusuck to be exact worst rash and itch have ever had

iceman260

« Reply #4324 on: Jul 20, 2021, 06:02 AM »
Bob I had a similar incident happen recently, was clearing a piece of land behind my garage. Got a rash similar to poison ivy but it didn't itch, just blistered, went away in about 2 weeks. I put calamine lotion on it. Still don't know what caused it, did notice some wild rose and black caps.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4325 on: Jul 20, 2021, 09:58 AM »
Didn’t see any of the above mentioned. The Zyrtec is doing a good job suppressing the reaction though. Much better this morning. I took one Sunday, 2 yesterday about 12 hrs apart and I’ll take another today. Noticeably  more comfortable. Hardly any itch. No new blisters.

Seems like I’m on the right path to healing up. Aside from that, the gardens are looking great.we’re getting tomatoes and the potatoes are starting to die off.

Next time I decide to do some weeding, I’m gonna hit it with weed killer. >:(
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #4326 on: Jul 20, 2021, 12:46 PM »
You guys live in New York. Hard telling what's left over in the soil.  :rotflol:

Love Canal?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4327 on: Jul 20, 2021, 01:56 PM »
You guys live in New York. Hard telling what's left over in the soil.  :rotflol:

Love Canal?

And you probably live in Gary…………..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishinator

« Reply #4328 on: Jul 20, 2021, 04:45 PM »
  you don't have to live near Gary to experience pollution in indiana. Farmers constantly dump chemicals......on their TILED fields that drain into our waterways. It's not pollution if farmers do it though.
  I work in wastewater and I know of a treatment plant whose effluent dumps into a small creek.  That effluent has to be treated to darn near drinking water quality,  including using uv sterilization (to kill e.coli). Along the same creek the farmers dump so much manure from dairy farms in the fields that it looks like a lake.

taxid

« Reply #4329 on: Jul 20, 2021, 04:49 PM »

No, but my wife was born in Gary when it was a much nicer place. (1959). I'm about 2 1/2 hours east of Gary thank God!

Maybe there is something in MY soil as my tallest sweet corn right now is 9 feet +, or I added to much Miracle Grow plant feed.  :whistling:

My front deck floor is 10 feet above ground and some of the corn is little higher than that. Accounting for the raised garden the corn is over 9 feet tall. No tassels yet.

Too much nitrogen? I'm new to this -- only my second year gardening. I took over the garden for my dad. Still a lot to learn.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #4330 on: Jul 20, 2021, 04:53 PM »
  you don't have to live near Gary to experience pollution in indiana. Farmers constantly dump chemicals......on their TILED fields that drain into our waterways. It's not pollution if farmers do it though.
  I work in wastewater and I know of a treatment plant whose effluent dumps into a small creek.  That effluent has to be treated to darn near drinking water quality,  including using uv sterilization (to kill e.coli). Along the same creek the farmers dump so much manure from dairy farms in the fields that it looks like a lake.

A lot of things to blame for pollution, not just farmers. Aren't there still sewage treatment plants that have the local storm drains running into the plants, and when there is too much rain they have to release untreated sewage into the local waterway?

We have properties on the lakes here that look like mannicured golf courses. Has to be some serious fertilizer and herbicides doing that.

fishinator

« Reply #4331 on: Jul 20, 2021, 05:01 PM »
A lot of things to blame for pollution, not just farmers. Aren't there still sewage treatment plants that have the local storm drains running into the plants and when there is too much rain they have to release untreated sewage into the local waterway?

We have properties on the lakes here that look like mannicured golf courses. Has to be some serious fertilizer and herbicides doing that.
Several treatment plants still have combined sewers that do overflow during heavy rains. And the ones that don't have people illegally pumping storm water in their sewers.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4332 on: Jul 20, 2021, 05:52 PM »
Where I live there’s little worry about that problem. I’m well out of harms way here in our little village of Macedon. This was definitely a plant based attack. Which really pees me off because I provided the little demon……whatever it was….a place to live and grow. Then it goes and makes me miserable…well…uncomfortable for a week or more I’d guess.

Anyway, I’m gonna spray the worst possible horrible chemical on those weeds I can find and never think about it again. ( not a lot though)

9’ corn…….sounds like it doesn’t need a shot of MG nastiness.

taxid

« Reply #4333 on: Jul 20, 2021, 06:49 PM »
Where I live there’s little worry about that problem. I’m well out of harms way here in our little village of Macedon. This was definitely a plant based attack. Which really pees me off because I provided the little demon……whatever it was….a place to live and grow. Then it goes and makes me miserable…well…uncomfortable for a week or more I’d guess.

Anyway, I’m gonna spray the worst possible horrible chemical on those weeds I can find and never think about it again. ( not a lot though)

9’ corn…….sounds like it doesn’t need a shot of MG nastiness.

I don't blame you. I'm very sensitive to poison ivy and have had it really bad in my younger days. Plant base dermatitis is no picnic. So whatever it was...

I was only kidding about New York.  I actually lived on military property as a dependent in Massachusetts that ended up a Superfund clean up site. They used some kind of chemical around the foundations of our quarters that must have been pretty bad as they totally removed the soil and there is still no development there.

Yeah I have since heard disparaging comments about MG.

taxid

« Reply #4334 on: Jul 20, 2021, 06:52 PM »
Several treatment plants still have combined sewers that do overflow during heavy rains. And the ones that don't have people illegally pumping storm water in their sewers.

It's a shame we can't fix all those. We can spend billions on the military industrial complex but ... (Not knocking the military as I am a veteran.)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.