FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 517848 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #4905 on: Jun 14, 2023, 05:50 PM »
Very nice gardens.

What’s better than growing a garden? Puts you in touch with life.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

gotagetm

« Reply #4906 on: Jun 14, 2023, 06:07 PM »
For sure Bob
Very nice Jim

Pequod1

« Reply #4907 on: Jun 16, 2023, 10:16 AM »
It also puts you in touch with your past. Can’t help thinking about my grandfathers gardens

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4908 on: Jun 16, 2023, 02:04 PM »
No way my parents gardened. Don’t really remember if my Grandparents did. Just know it’s something I love and passed on. To my Son at least. He’s not a vegetable gardener but…..

His gardens are spectacular. Just a very small sampling. Very very small. I really need to get a bunch of pics of what he tends.  It’s incredible.

My Daughter….well….that’s a different story. She has her own qualities though. A dedicated school teacher. Damned good one too.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

krispcritter

« Reply #4909 on: Jun 17, 2023, 06:24 AM »
Looks great. I think I got the garden gene from my Grandmother. She was straight off the boat from Appenzell, Switzerland. She had a 1/2 archer garden in Penn Yan, NY. Would help her when we were up there on weekends.

Just picked my garlic scapes. Think I'm going to try making a garlic, swiss chard pesto.
To make small fortune in business, start with a large one.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #4910 on: Jun 17, 2023, 07:03 AM »
Grew up on the east side of Buffalo, not exactly garden country!

My daughter joined the gardening club in kindergarten at school. That year we built the raised beds. She just finished her freshman year if of high school.

Planted Memorial Day weekend, have my first few cherry tomato flowers

62 & Done

« Reply #4911 on: Jun 17, 2023, 08:52 AM »
wow ! just wow I can't get over some of the pics here. I live on a hill which blesses me with colder temps and a lot more wind than surrounding areas and I also plant directly into the ground. No raised beds. I know all of this sets me back a bit, but I still can't help being a bit jealous.  Great work guys.

piscesman

« Reply #4912 on: Jun 17, 2023, 04:36 PM »
krispcritter, my grandmother also lived there and had a modest garden. My father had more land and planted much bigger crops. We lived outside of Dresden. Now to the others, a question here. I was talking to a guy today that has a small garden but didn't plant any garlic. He said someone told him to cut the scapes off to send more nutrients to the bulbs for more flavor and size. Is that true??? TIA.
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4913 on: Jun 17, 2023, 06:15 PM »
Yes….cut off the scapes. Eat them or not…your choice. I scatter them around my other gardens to keep the critters out. Makes a big difference in the bulb growth..

Dirt23

« Reply #4914 on: Jun 18, 2023, 05:59 AM »
Definitely trim scapes we've processed them like Dilly beans and turn out wonderful also like RG said good against pest.  We actually make a spray out of them grind to a slurry fill slurry to top with water let sit couple days strain into whatever you want to spray with but don't spray directly on plant oils from scapes will burn foliage in sun

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #4915 on: Jun 18, 2023, 06:19 AM »
Yes….cut off the scapes. Eat them or not…your choice. I scatter them around my other gardens to keep the critters out. Makes a big difference in the bulb growth..

I make pesto out of them.

piscesman

« Reply #4916 on: Jun 20, 2023, 05:05 AM »
OK, thanks for the advice. I don't have any scapes yet but nice to know some tricks. Finished most of separating on Father's Day and just a tad more to go. Peas have pods, beans tons of flowers. 4 nice Roma tomato plants with fruit. How do you guys "treat" your basil plants to give optimum leaves and flavor? Mine are starting to flower. Thanks..........
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

krispcritter

« Reply #4917 on: Jun 20, 2023, 10:20 AM »
Cut the flowers off your basil leaving a good 1 inch stem, bush them into potting soil and they should take root.
To make small fortune in business, start with a large one.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4918 on: Jun 20, 2023, 12:22 PM »
Put the basil flowers in your salads. Fresh is best but, I harvest them and dry them from my different varieties. Super nice flavor.

piscesman

« Reply #4919 on: Jun 20, 2023, 06:38 PM »
Thanks again. There's no comparison having fresh herbs to dried. Just have to figure out how to use certain ones with others to get the best flavor from them.
      Kim
      author unknown

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.