FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 517959 times)

ActiveTrapChecker

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #4935 on: Jun 30, 2023, 05:46 PM »
Not sure Taxid but I will say I am having my worst pepper year ever. I even lost a Hungarian Wax Pepper plant, just shriveled up!

piscesman

« Reply #4936 on: Jun 30, 2023, 08:07 PM »
Could it be the soil?? Type of water?? Well or city?? How about fertilizer?? We have city water but collect it off the roof into 40 gal buckets and down to 5 gal I get from the supermarkets. Those buckets are filled to the top with my soil and holes drilled up from bottom about 3" to give the roots more water as the plants grow. I have a basil plant that makes yours look like 1st prize at the county fair. Don't know why.
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

taxid

« Reply #4937 on: Jun 30, 2023, 09:04 PM »
Could it be the soil?? Type of water?? Well or city?? How about fertilizer?? We have city water but collect it off the roof into 40 gal buckets and down to 5 gal I get from the supermarkets. Those buckets are filled to the top with my soil and holes drilled up from bottom about 3" to give the roots more water as the plants grow. I have a basil plant that makes yours look like 1st prize at the county fair. Don't know why.
      Kim

If it's the soil why are the other plants doing well? I have been fertilizing. My water is well water and has never been an issue before.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishinator

« Reply #4938 on: Jun 30, 2023, 09:22 PM »
O.K. garden experts: What going on with my pepper plants? Every other plant in the garden is doing great which includes tomatoes, lettuce, baby corn, and zucchini. They suddenly started to wilt and one was so bad it was a lot cause. Two of the four never seemed to grow well although they did develop buds and one pepper. I wondering if I just bought bad plants. Is it too late to plant seeds and start over?

Not enough water can't be it as I water them every morning unless it rains. Maybe too much water? Too much sun? I did notice roots were exposed on one which could have been from the nozzle on the garden hose set to too much pressure. I covered the roots. But that doesn't explain the others.

any sign of bugs? Looks like lack of water but not if you water daily.  Peppers don't like too wet of soil but that doesn't look like your problem as that normally turns them yellow.

taxid

« Reply #4939 on: Jun 30, 2023, 09:34 PM »
any sign of bugs? Looks like lack of water but not if you water daily.  Peppers don't like too wet of soil but that doesn't look like your problem as that normally turns them yellow.

Thanks. Yeah could be some kind of bug. I still think they were bad plants as 2 of them never really took off.  Conversely the tomato plants are going to town on size and buds.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #4940 on: Jul 02, 2023, 07:50 AM »
      Kim

Could it be too much water? I’ve had a pretty rainy June and July isn’t starting any dryer

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4941 on: Jul 02, 2023, 07:54 AM »
Pull your straw back and see if the soil is wet or dry.  Check about four inches from the plant about 4” deep..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

62 & Done

« Reply #4942 on: Jul 02, 2023, 10:26 PM »
From the dirt comes dinner     I love my little garden  It has gotten smaller as the years go by, but the personal satisfaction is still huge. We've had our first crop of beet greens and the second is up and doing well. we've had lettuce, Swiss chard, and am looking forward to green and yellow squash in a couple days. The peas are showing blossoms so they won't be long. Cucumbers are starting to run. Carrots beans and potatoes all doing well. My one lonely tomato plant seems a little weak, but it will come around with the proper care and good rain water. So far no problems, no bugs and no rabbits. I took care of a couple wood chucks earlier.
     I get excited over my garden.

some time in May

this morning

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #4943 on: Jul 03, 2023, 08:08 AM »
Very nice 62

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4944 on: Jul 03, 2023, 08:32 AM »
Nice barns in the background..  Are they yours???
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

62 & Done

« Reply #4945 on: Jul 03, 2023, 11:19 AM »
My father-in-law was a dairy farmer  They belong to me and the Mrs now   Nice place to keep stuff but lots of maintenance to keep up  That's half of what we have in the photo with 240 acres.   185 are tillable and we rent it out to other crop farmers

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4946 on: Jul 03, 2023, 11:23 AM »
Most of the old family farms around here that went out of business have sold their barns for barn wood or in the process..  Sad to see them go.

taxid

« Reply #4947 on: Jul 03, 2023, 12:40 PM »
Pull your straw back and see if the soil is wet or dry.  Check about four inches from the plant about 4” deep..

Thanks. I pulled the straw back and quit watering. They have recovered although we got almost 2 inches of rain in the past couple of days.

taxid

« Reply #4948 on: Jul 03, 2023, 12:42 PM »
Most of the old family farms around here that went out of business have sold their barns for barn wood or in the process..  Sad to see them go.

A lot of farm land gets sold here too. Developers love it. :-(

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4949 on: Jul 03, 2023, 02:31 PM »
The lands not getting sold. No developers around here..The big farms pay big bucks to rent this land. 
  The barns are being taken down by contractors…

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.