FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 518031 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #5040 on: Aug 05, 2023, 01:18 PM »
Yellow zucchini? Never grown them. Always just grown dark green here.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5041 on: Aug 05, 2023, 02:12 PM »
It’s called gold rush.  Tastes the same but just yellow..😁
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5042 on: Aug 05, 2023, 02:40 PM »
Have to look for it next year. Zucchini on the Weber tonight 👍
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #5043 on: Aug 07, 2023, 08:45 PM »
Finally made some pickles. Spicy kosher dills on the left, kosher dills on the right

62 & Done

« Reply #5044 on: Aug 08, 2023, 03:26 PM »
Yellow zucchini? Never grown them. Always just grown dark green here.
    No, sorry I should have said summer squash,  the little crooked necked yellow buggers.   They make excellent bread- try it
     I did however, have a batch one year that couldn't decide whether they were yellow or green. some were mottled and some were just weird colored. they were supposed to be zucchini - they ate good.

piscesman

« Reply #5045 on: Aug 09, 2023, 07:10 PM »
Question for you garlic guys. My 1st crop has turned out with very small bulbs. MAYBE 1" in diameter. I found a mature garlic scape that has these very tiny white clove shaped "seeds". Do you plant them??? TIA.
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5046 on: Aug 10, 2023, 05:00 AM »
No Kim but when did you plant them and were all the stalks/leaves brown when you pulled them??? 
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5047 on: Aug 10, 2023, 01:51 PM »
Seed from scapes will take you several seasons to get a harvest.

Takes some time to develop a good garlic strain. Plant the largest seed cloves you get and supplement it with new seed cloves. Farm markets are a good source.

Rich well drained soil. Lots of water till the bottom leaves start turning brown. Fertilize lightly with organics. Plant in mid October and cover with 6-8” of leaf mulch. Don’t worry if they pop up and get hit by frost. They’ll be fine come July. Pull them when the bottom 3-4 leaves are dead. They could go longer, but I can never wait. Fresh garlic is sooooooooo good!

Rotate your beds or plots. Mine are grown in beds. Easier to amend and control.

Just my $.02

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5048 on: Aug 10, 2023, 03:44 PM »
Mums are coming along good. Even have color already..

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5049 on: Aug 10, 2023, 04:33 PM »
Thousands of mums…….mums.

piscesman

« Reply #5050 on: Aug 10, 2023, 06:19 PM »
All planted last oct. I have cut the previous scapes off and put them in salads or other meals. I don't get over 4 hours sunlight where they are planted. I know they need more but a learning curve. Can you use planters for them, or a bucket even though not buried in the ground?? The German hard bodies were growing like crazy then petered out. Thanks.
      Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #5051 on: Aug 10, 2023, 10:13 PM »
Bob , excellent advice on the garlic ,

Dom , holy cow , that's a lot of mums.

Kim , I've heard of many people planting garlic in containers i believe Bob does. I'm going to try it myself this year .

Keith

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5052 on: Aug 11, 2023, 05:43 AM »
Kim google it they say it can be done but there’s a lot of things to do to make it work.. 
 You’re better off putting them in the ground in a new spot or maybe a small raised bed in the sun. 

Miller that’s not even half of them. There’s about 5600 in different sized pots…

Mac Attack

« Reply #5053 on: Aug 11, 2023, 07:26 AM »

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5054 on: Aug 11, 2023, 11:26 AM »
Maybe his methods work for him, but mine certainly work for me.

I don’t think he plants deep enough or puts enough mulch over those containers. Mine go in around 3” down and I pile on the mulch. They get full sun and plenty of water. The mulch gets worked into the beds every year.

Anyway, my beans and snow peas and spinach are sprouting up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.