FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: advise on crappies?  (Read 6147 times)

bradmoun

advise on crappies?
« on: Mar 16, 2010, 03:04 PM »
hey guys newbie here just looking for some advise for crappie fishing this spring about when do they start to spawn  what are the best baits to use minnows, jigs, flies any advise would be appreciated

ryno-salmon-slayer

• Fish On
Re: advise on crappies?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2010, 03:22 PM »
RIGHT NOW Is a good time to start targeting them...i been doin fairly well witha  minnow under a bobber.....as the fishing picks up u can use tubes..and other jigs but as of today minnows have been the key!

jiggalo

• TROLL! TROLL !TROLL!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2010, 03:27 PM »
Good advice from salmon slayer-slow and subtle right now. Crappies start spawning when surface temps are in low to mid 60's. As the water warms jigs and small cranks are deadly! You just have to let them tell you what they want. Good luck!

big70bo

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2010, 05:14 PM »
I would definitely stick to the minnows under a bobber for the crappie. I also like to take a small jig head with hair and tip it with a minnow (hooked through the tail) and drift the lake as long as the wind is blowing a little.
The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't

Crappie Expree

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2010, 05:37 PM »
i agree stick with the minnow unless you want less action and bigger fish.
Take a kid fishing!

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2010, 05:52 PM »
Nothing can usually out perform a minnow in the open water, but one thing I learned about five years ago that matches the success and has worked GREAT for a couple weeks right after ice out is using a ratso 4-6 ft. behind a bubble bobber fishing in the channels and mouths of feeder creeks, keep it moving slowly, you can cover a lot of water.  Don't be afraid to go shallow, have caught limits of BIG crappie in March/April in 1-2 feet of water in channels next to heat absorbing structure (concrete walls, piers, overhanging trees/bushes).

Icejunkie0602

« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2010, 06:06 PM »
Went out today for a  hour and a half.  Only caught 3 with a minnow under a bobber in 1' of water.  After the next couple of days of warmth they should really turn on this weekend.

jiggalo

• TROLL! TROLL !TROLL!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2010, 08:28 PM »
Nothing can usually out perform a minnow in the open water, but one thing I learned about five years ago that matches the success and has worked GREAT for a couple weeks right after ice out is using a ratso 4-6 ft. behind a bubble bobber fishing in the channels and mouths of feeder creeks, keep it moving slowly, you can cover a lot of water.  Don't be afraid to go shallow, have caught limits of BIG crappie in March/April in 1-2 feet of water in channels next to heat absorbing structure (concrete walls, piers, overhanging trees/bushes).
Great idea - Gonna have to try that

Fishslayer81

« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2010, 11:56 PM »
 Black/chartreuse creme mini tail tubes under a bobber. Fishin 1-1.5ft deep in 2-3ft fow. Had my limit in less than 2hrs sunday and tuesday. Look for muck bottom areas or places where lily pads grow right after ice off... Those areas warm up alot faster due to the bottom being black, wich atrracts alot of fish early!! Channel I fished today hit 50 degrees surface temp!
Gone Catchin!

jiggalo

• TROLL! TROLL !TROLL!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2010, 12:12 PM »
Black/chartreuse creme mini tail tubes under a bobber. Fishin 1-1.5ft deep in 2-3ft fow. Had my limit in less than 2hrs sunday and tuesday. Look for muck bottom areas or places where lily pads grow right after ice off... Those areas warm up alot faster due to the bottom being black, wich atrracts alot of fish early!! Channel I fished today hit 50 degrees surface temp!
Nice job! be a little while before our temps are that high but it's only going to get better for you. Nothing better than a mess of fresh crappies in the spring.

MarbleEye2

« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2010, 05:41 PM »
Fished Sullivan past Saturday 44 Crappie all 6"-8" nothing with any size. All caught slow drift with minnow and gold hook. Fish caught in 12-18 fow nothing in shallows.
“If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.”

Rairdog

« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2010, 05:50 PM »
Been tearing them up on tubes the last few days on Morse.  With or w/o a crappie king bobber and pretty much any color.  I rarely use minnows in the spring.  They are way to active and it would just slow me down.

Fishslayer81

« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2010, 07:48 PM »
Been tearing them up on tubes the last few days on Morse.  With or w/o a crappie king bobber and pretty much any color.  I rarely use minnows in the spring.  They are way to active and it would just slow me down.
x2 agreed!!! I rarely ever use minnows anymore in the spring...
Gone Catchin!

Blueultra2

« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2010, 08:00 PM »
x2 agreed!!! I rarely ever use minnows anymore in the spring...

I've never tried minnows for crappies.  Maybe that's why I just placed an order for 500 tubes!!

big70bo

« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2010, 08:09 PM »

Rairdog, Any size to those crappie on Morse?
The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.