FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fish ID Icons  (Read 3986 times)

piscesman

Fish ID Icons
« on: Aug 12, 2014, 11:10 AM »
I have a Hummingbird with the little fish icons. Are the fish in the icons the same size whether in 15' or 50' of water?? Curious mind.
Kim ??? ??? ???
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

steelie1975

Re: Fish ID Icons
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2014, 07:34 PM »
turn fish ID of and learn to read the echos, Reason being throw a rock or stick under the transducer with FISH ID on and it will show up as a fish, as that is all the unit knows. Turn it off and you will see the difference, Then adjust sensitivity accordingly
Steelieslayer

princecraft

« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2014, 06:09 AM »
turn fish ID of and learn to read the echos, Reason being throw a rock or stick under the transducer with FISH ID on and it will show up as a fish, as that is all the unit knows. Turn it off and you will see the difference, Then adjust sensitivity accordingly
X2  I never use fish ID

filetandrelease

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2014, 06:47 AM »
X3 turn it off , it's not hard to read , you will get more out of it that way , I use an LCD on the ice the same way , just give your self a little time

piscesman

« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2014, 10:25 AM »
I do not have a flasher. The original old style hummingbird. When I come to a drop off I can see fish waiting on the lower side. Sure enough When I drift through there with my bait the fish will bite. I can see schools of fish suspended and fish hovering the bottom. How would I locate them by turning the ID off?? As stated it is a cheaper unit. The Piranha 15 Max. Thanks for your help.
Kim
While searching for the meaning of life an older gentleman showed me how to fish. Since then I FOUND IT!!!!!!
      author unknown

stripernut

« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2014, 10:44 AM »
There are still marks on the screen when the fish ID is turned off, but there is more info in the "Marks" than just a little fish. With practice you will see and understand much more, than you can with the fish ID.

Lundin-loading

« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2014, 11:08 AM »
With fish ID off, the fish show up as arcs, or bands, not just a little picture of a fishy. There's a lot more info in the arcs than the little fishys, you can judge size, and location in relation to your transducer, whether its bait sized, or even potentially structure. Turn off the ID mode and give er hell!!
Beauty

jiggin4perch

« Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2014, 12:04 PM »
I have the Humminbird 160 Max portable FF.  I too have the little fish icons and i just checked to see if i could turn the fish ID off and i cannot. this unit is only about three years old it was a cheap unit i bought for ice fishing but never did ude it for that purpose.  I rely on it mainly for depth so i don't hit bottom/weeds while trolling. 

To answer your question i kinda believe that if you are in shallow water and mark a "big" fish it could be a 10" perch but then while in 50' of water and mark a "big" fish it could be an 8lb Landlock.  I kinda ran into this last year when i marked a large fish and it turned out to be a perch.  like i said i mainly rely on mine for depth readings.  I am looking into buying a color fish finder that is a little more $.

eyedoktr

« Reply #8 on: Aug 13, 2014, 12:15 PM »
I have the Humminbird 160 Max portable FF.  I too have the little fish icons and i just checked to see if i could turn the fish ID off and i cannot. this unit is only about three years old it was a cheap unit i bought for ice fishing but never did ude it for that purpose.  I rely on it mainly for depth so i don't hit bottom/weeds while trolling.  

To answer your question i kinda believe that if you are in shallow water and mark a "big" fish it could be a 10" perch but then while in 50' of water and mark a "big" fish it could be an 8lb Landlock.  I kinda ran into this last year when i marked a large fish and it turned out to be a perch.  like i said i mainly rely on mine for depth readings.  I am looking into buying a color fish finder that is a little more $.

From memory it seems like you
Go to set up menu/fish ID and turn off.
Pete Lewis

jiggin4perch

« Reply #9 on: Aug 13, 2014, 07:08 PM »
Yes you are correct I was able to turn the fish id off. I held the power button too long. Thank you

piscesman

« Reply #10 on: Aug 15, 2014, 06:19 AM »
I will try turning the ID off and see what appears. If mine has arcs then they will show me size and quantity. Thanks.
      Kim :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:
      author unknown

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #11 on: Aug 21, 2014, 02:55 PM »
Yes you are correct I was able to turn the fish id off. I held the power button too long. Thank you

I was gonna say, I have that exact fish finder for my canoe and jon boat and I can turn mine off.

darrenf442

« Reply #12 on: Sep 02, 2014, 08:24 AM »
I talk to lots of guys on the lake who say the lake is loaded with fish but they wont bite. I ask them if there are lots of fish icons on the screen , they always say yes. They are picking up stuff other then fish. When i turn on my fish id lots of fish, turn it off and nothing.

Arches are the best way to identify fish.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2014, 08:41 AM »
After turning off the fish ID the next thing is to adjust the sensitivity. In cloudy particulate waters you have to lower the setting.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.