FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Knots - Braid to flouro, flouro to lure?  (Read 6539 times)

TheDL

Re: Knots - Braid to flouro, flouro to lure?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 27, 2011, 09:20 PM »
sluggo - yep that sounds about right - guess I'll wind up the second spool with mono.  so far, I'm not a braid guy - but I really think it'll help detect bites once it warms up a little and I can cast it :-\...definately picks up the water and ice though

so, I'm hearing other knots here - and I'm determined to get this right - let's hear what's the best knot for braid to flouro leader:
-blood knot?
-uni-uni?
-back to back clinch?

I will give the vanish one more try in the warmer weather, might have to upgrade though...best flouro leader line?
tight lines....

ma_fisherman

« Reply #16 on: Apr 16, 2011, 12:06 AM »
a few thoughts....

berkley vanish is garbage...literally i threw my spool in the trash can and would never allow it to touch any of my tackle again.  the worst flouro.  you get what you pay for.

as for braid to flouro leader connection....the uni to uni is ok but eventually the braid will wear into the flouro and it will break off.  the greater the difference in the diameter the sooner this may happen.  the best knot to use in this situation is an albright or preferably a modified albright called an alberto knot.  the alberto knot is great....do a search on it....its an easy knot to tie.....basically just an albright except instead of just wrapping one direction you wrap it back again in the other direction...check it out....this knot is solid. take care.

slipperybob

« Reply #17 on: Apr 16, 2011, 06:23 AM »
I've always used uni to uni, but beginning to change over to nail to nail.  I've never been able to get a consistent blood knot to work for super lines.

I prefer Seaguar for leader material but will probably give P-Line a try.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #18 on: Jun 11, 2011, 05:01 PM »
This connection looks pretty easy.   I haven't tried it yet but will.  I think that this is the same knot that ma fisherman mentioned.

http://www.outdoorchannel.com/Shows/FishingUniversity/Videos.aspx?pid=qZa4DyqaA50G7p3pDCYpwdom9ao72U3s&tpid=1823279863

TheDL

« Reply #19 on: Jun 13, 2011, 05:37 PM »
thanks for the video FatBoy - I think I'll try that.  Although, that guy in the video did something I've never seen, flouro main line with a braid leader?!  What could possibly be the benefit there?  ???
tight lines....

stripernut

« Reply #20 on: Jun 15, 2011, 09:51 PM »
Check out the Slim Beauty knot, for Floro To Braid, it is what many tuna guys use and nothing tests a knot like a tuna! It is not hard to tie and passes through your guides easy.
Tight Lines!

the jigs up

« Reply #21 on: Jun 28, 2011, 09:19 PM »
This year tried Berkley Vanish leader with Suffix 832 and used blood knot to tie. Had no issues with the knots or strength but was very disappointed with several Pike bite offs. I was jigging for Walleye and lost 3 fish to bite offs. Felt the tap, set the hook, felt the weight and then nothing but line left. Gonna go straight braid and catch those 3 fish instead of retying a new jig.
BORN TO FISH...FORCED TO WORK... TO PAY FOR FISHING...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.