FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing hurts  (Read 6375 times)

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
Re: Fishing hurts
« Reply #15 on: Jun 23, 2004, 04:15 PM »
I second that!

I second that!

grumpymoe

« Reply #16 on: Jun 23, 2004, 04:18 PM »
i second fatboys second....2 very excellent posts rg  ...grump  ;D

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #17 on: Jun 23, 2004, 04:25 PM »
Hey good thing you posted this Izzy my kids not watching Finding nemo now that's for sure!!!!! I got so mad after checking that out >:( >:( :-X what about all the poor vegetables booo hoooo!!!! :P

fishin_musician

• Stupid's the New Awesome
« Reply #18 on: Jun 23, 2004, 04:52 PM »
I personally don't gave a rat's behind if fish or anything else feels pain. As far as I know pain is just another part of the life experience. PAIN PAIN PAIN, boo hoo hoo, sorry a$$ cry babies. I'm not making any excuses. I love to catch and occaisionally eat fish. Go cry about it!
FM 
Life is Good on the Susky!
Date Registered:   Mar 04, 2004

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #19 on: Jun 23, 2004, 07:13 PM »
if it dont kill you it makes you tougher!!POKE A FEW HOLES IN A FISHES MOUTH BIG DEAL HOW ABOUT ALL THE POOR LITTLE FISH THOSE BIG FISH EAT?!dont they feel any pain??its all part of the food chain baby!!deal with it!!
Scotty 

izzyfender

« Reply #20 on: Jun 23, 2004, 11:13 PM »
They seriously just show the stress of fishing and over exagerate it. watch this vid http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs.asp?video=angling its a propaganda video that shows how cruel fihsing is. it shows some guy holding a trout with a towel and ripping the hook out. then it shows some "marine biologist" aka peta supporter talking about how fish pain while standing behind an anti fishing poster. i usually dont get caught up in these things but this seriously is nothing but lies

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #21 on: Jun 24, 2004, 12:12 AM »
I got some scientific proof from an angler who is a non biased biologist, and it's in the December - January 1999 - 2000 Issue of In Fisherman Magazine, which is the best and most balanced fishing magazine in existance. It is dedicated to educating people how to catch more fish, protecting our rights to fish, AND educating and stressing selective harvest of fish, which allows us to eat and enjoy fish while conserving the resource.
The article was written by Dr. James J Rose, a professor in both Psychology and Physiology of Fish, with a doctorate from The University of Wyoming.
Basically what he stresses is that we all know a mammal and bird brain has two basic areas, a brain stem and a cerebrum. Both areas have many different structures which perform different functions. The brainstem regulates survival and natural functions, and also detects nociceptive (injurous or threatening) stimulu, which includes pain. It is the cerebral cortex however, that produces a conscious awareness of this stimuli (pain). Humans have the only well developed cerebral cortex of any known organism, thus the sensation of pain is most intense in us. Even other mammals, while they can feel pain, feel it less than us do to the fact that their cerebral cortex is more primitive, so they are not as consciously aware of it, so the experience is less intense.
Fish, being the most primitive of all vertebrates, have no cerebral cortex. They are a brainstem dominated organism. This enables them to respond to injurous stimuli so they can survive, which might confuse some people into thinking they feel pain. But, since they have no cerebral cortex, they are not consciously aware of the stimuli. Thus, Dr. Rose has basically proven they don't feel pain.
If eating meat was immoral or wrong, God would not have created animals that eat others. All predators, including hunters and fisherman, perform a crucial function of keeping certain animals in check. In fact, many fishing waters are less productive than others because anglers DON'T harvest as many fish. Also, take a look at the game animals in parks like Yellowstone where hunting isn't allowed. They are skinny and unhealthy compaired to game elsewhere.

Tyler

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
« Reply #22 on: Jun 24, 2004, 03:56 PM »
I remember reading an article in Field & Stream, I think, years ago about how they set up to get the photos of the hooked fish breaking water.  Apparently, when the fisherman was getting a bite he would set the hook once quickly then let the line go slack.  I believe they were fly fishing in calm water, i.e. no current.  They found that the fish would just continue to go about its business if there was no pressure on the line and once the photographer was setup they would start reeling in the fish.  When the fish felt the pull of the line their fight or flight instincts kicked in and they reacted to the external stimulus.  If fish feel pain like PETA says, don't you think they would react to having a piece of metal hanging from their mouths?

PETA = Please Execute The A**holes
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #23 on: Jun 25, 2004, 01:36 AM »
Personalize it for yourself, put yourself in the fish's position, except that you are still human. If there were 2 huge trebel hooks gouged deeply into your cheek, with a lot of force going against you, would you be able to run in the opposite direction and fight the way a fish does? (well a fish swims, but you get the idea.) No, you wouldn't, you would be on the ground screaming. Therefore, the fish does not feel pain like we, or most other vertebrates do, if any at all.

This is my answer without the science mumbo jumbo, which I do know, but I prefer to tell it this way to those that don't really understand the heavy biology. Both ways get the point across quite well

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #24 on: Jun 25, 2004, 06:47 AM »
Well said TFB.  I agree.  It's all about survival to fish, to avoid the threat of demise.

JigAwhopper

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #25 on: Jun 25, 2004, 07:25 AM »
well,  if fish lips were so delicate and full of nerve endings,  the would all starve to death.  I can not imagine a smallmouth bass with sore lips trying to feed on crayfish or a shellcracker  busting little clams on the bottom.  Or a Walleye trying to eat a prickly perch.  You get my point.   Fish have evolved with certain adaptations to their environment, and wackos like PETA start to look very stupid very fast once they decide to impose their feelings on everyone else; and twist science into a pretzel to fit their argument. :P.  What's next......  fish have feelings too??       PLLLEEEAASSSEEE........                                   J
GONE FISH'G.......

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #26 on: Jun 25, 2004, 07:54 AM »
Have you ever seen Penn  & Teller's  Bull---- on Showtime? They did a program debunking  Peta. Intelligent, direct and well investigated.

Worth watching.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fozsey

« Reply #27 on: Jun 25, 2004, 09:32 AM »
You guys should stop picking on PETA. After all they sanction the murder and torture of humans in order to further their political aganda and to save our beloved furry and swimming critters. Read this...

http://www.nmagriculture.org/peta_statements_spark_agroterror.htm

This isn't the only idiotic statement made by PETA officials. Statements like this made outside PETA would attract the attention of the Government and could be considered terroristic threats.

Someone emailed this to me and I had a good laugh...I just had to share...More PETA idiotoc statements...

"Human beings, as a species, have no more value than slugs." - John Davis, Editor of The Earth First! Journal

"It seems an easy choice - sacrifice the tree for a human life - until one learns that three trees must be destroyed for each patient treated. Suddenly we must confront some tough questions. How important are the medical needs of future generations?" - Al gore in Earth in the Balance

What is scary is that this man was the VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!

"It ought be able to establish a coordinated global program to accomplish the strategic goal of completely eliminating the internal combustible engine over, say, a twenty-five-year period." - Al gore in Earth in the Balance 

"Circuses make animals sad" - PETA demonstration posters

Yes, animals launched a complaint with PETA about those horrible circuses and then told circuses how they felt.

"Animals forced to endure such confinement [in zoos] often suffer from a kind of mental illness called zoochosis." - PETA online

Psychiatric disorders in zoo animals?

"Captivity drives many animals insane, causing them to sink into depression" - PETA online

The animals told PETA this themselves. Yeah, OK

"Ronald McDonald tells children that hamburgers grow in patches like vegetables. Call McDonald's to find out if Ronald is coming to town. If he is, why not "pie" him? " - PETA online

Funny, I don't remember hearing that... 

"Ronald McDonald is a scary, scary clown" -PETA online

I think this one speaks for itself.

"McDonald's is one of the largest murderers of animals on this planet." - PETA online

Great imagination guys. I suppose Kermit the Frog is number 2

"Disneyland... continues to use the cruelest mousetraps--glue traps... Please write to Disneyland officials and remind them that there is no excuse for such atrocities." - PETA online

How dare that Disney attempt to control disease carrying rodents.  Never mind the rest of the world does also. 

"There was also a video [on Americas Funniest Home Videos] of a man singing "Home on the Range" to call his cows. John Fugelsang, one of the hosts, remarked, 'Look at all the cows running to the slaughterhouse.'" - PETA online

Gasp! That mean-spirited man made a joke about cattle - he's not allowed to do that!

"Another video showed lambs in a pen with a man holding a single bottle. The babies were all frantically try to get it. Fugelsang commented, 'Look at all these live sweaters walking around.'"- PETA online

He did it again! Nevemind that wool is collected by shaving the animal, not killing it. Let's ban comedy!

"Shoprite food stores are giving away turkeys to customers who shop at their stores." - PETA online

And? ? ?

"Back in her home waters in the Puget Sound, her closely bonded family continues to swim, play, and forage together." - PETA online

So the killer wale family, after bonding together and coming in touch with their emotions, embarked on an expedition of playing together? I guess they then wrote a letter to PETA to tell them about it.  Things like this remind you of children's books.

"Hunting is presently banned in most national parks, but fishing continues" - PETA online

"...an unidentified group of fur foes who rub itching powder into fur and fur-trimmed garments, including gloves and hats. ... Itching powder is available from most joke and novelty stores at about $1.00 a package. We are not, of course, recommending its use" - PETA online

Sure, just innocently informing the public about one effective method they may combat fur. nevermind the price and retailer information  are given.

"Stores from coast to coast have been the targets of angry and vocal protests, including more than 100 arrests at Christmas time." PETA online

Great advertising campaign..Tell them how many idiots are PETA members...That will help your cause.

"Please call Starbucks Coffee corporate headquarters and let them know how much you would appreciate their offering soy milk." - PETA online

Soy Milk? Looks like PETA is again getting desperate for things to "protest"

"By selling reptiles, birds, and small animals, PetSmart is overlooking the fact that these sensitive animals suffer terribly in captivity." - PETA online criticizing pet shops

Yes, we all know the emotional trauma suffered by lizards in pet shops.  Especially since they write letters of complaint to the management daily. 

"Please let General Mills know that America's breakfast tables are no place for the glorification of a violent activity like fishing." - PETA online criticizing "Wheaties" boxes showing a fisherman on them.

Millions of fish are slaughtered each and every day to fufill your "Wheaties" breakfast. Pl EEEASE

"The only way to ensure that chicken won’t kill you is to throw it away." - PETA online

Then again, cooking chicken kills bacteria.  Strange that "dangerous" pesticides on veggies are casually overlooked 

"Feeding kids meat is child abuse." - PETA online 

Feeding kids Bulls*** from your website isn't?

"The meat industry tries to brainwash kids into believing that eating flesh is healthy" - PETA online

Speaking of brainwashing...

"Help us get the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile out of your town!"

And I thought protesting "Ronald McDonald" was a joke

The Rocket

« Reply #28 on: Jun 25, 2004, 08:05 PM »
I found Fishinghurts.com to be irrelevent and extremely enraging!!!!!! I grew up fishing.
And all that website does is create lies that fishing is wrong. It is all pure B.S.!!!!! Aimed at children.  >:( >:( And the Bull Sh** that eating fish is also bad. Makes me want to go fry up some Crappie filets!!!!!!!!!!! and enjoy a good meal....
You can either be the type of person that spends a saturday watching Dr. Phil, eating tofu in your bachelor appartment, or you can be the type that goes fishing.... Your call....The bass are biting...

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #29 on: Jun 25, 2004, 08:43 PM »
well,  if fish lips were so delicate and full of nerve endings,  the would all starve to death.  I can not imagine a smallmouth bass with sore lips trying to feed on crayfish or a shellcracker  busting little clams on the bottom.  Or a Walleye trying to eat a prickly perch.                       

Very well put, I had never thought of it that way.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.