FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: WHAT'S THIS MOTOR WORTH?  (Read 1969 times)

DIRTBALL2

WHAT'S THIS MOTOR WORTH?
« on: Jul 10, 2004, 12:50 AM »
I have a 17ft Grumman square stern canoe and a 1975 6HP Evinrude motor I have been thinking about selling. Have a pretty good idea of the value of the canoe but have absolutely no idea what the motor is worth. Motor is in excellent condition. Every time I used it I always disconnected the gas line before I landed and ran the motor until it died. Consequently, it never gave me any problems in all the years I used it. Sure it has a lot of dings and scratches on it, but so do I after 66 years. Can anybody out there give me an idea about it's approximate worth? Thanks for any input.
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Liar

Re: WHAT'S THIS MOTOR WORTH?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2004, 04:28 AM »

I believe that in 1975 new motors were going for $100 per h,p, (approx).  So brand new yours might have cost anywhere  from $600 - $675.  If the motor is in good condition as you say I would start out at $475.   I saw a 1982 - 6hp going for $895.  Sooooooooo  take it from there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I myself would have to stay at that price or $450.  I hope I was of some help.  Oh yes....parts for that motor are plentyfull, so if something happens it CAN be fixed

Liar   ;)  8)

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2004, 12:07 PM »
DB2,  Soooo you got a lot of nicks and scratches on ya!  Well at 66 you probably call them "war wounds" eh? ;D  I think Liar, (although his name may be questionable when it comes to believing him) is pretty close on a price. ;)  If your lower unit is still in good condition, powerhead is clean, and runs a good compression test, "I" would ask for up to 500 bucks for it.   Good luck my friend!  Barleydog

Jigwiggler

« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2004, 01:33 PM »
I'd say that motor is probably worth more now than when it was new.  When pricing a used object you need to compare it to what it would cost for a new replacement.  If you motor was in 100% condition than I would say it is worth 50 - 75% of the cost of a new one.  Then deduct for any wear and tear and also age.  I'd say $500- 800, you can always com down on your price but can rarely go up. ;D

May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

HIMO

• MFF Mod Team
  • Goatboy's- Wisconsin chapter "1st Wisconsin goat"
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2004, 01:41 PM »
I have the exact same motor. I bought it new and it still runs as good as the day I bought it. I also run the gas out of mine. the only repairs have been the water pump.I would say the value is priceless.

HIMO
"IT'S NOT HOW DEEP YOU FISH, IT'S HOW YOU WIGGLE YOUR WORM" !!!

Polar

« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2004, 05:09 PM »
Somewhere in the range of 400-500 dollars. I talked with a buddy of mine that owns a marina and he has sold 2-6hp(1995"s) for 850-900.

Esox

« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2004, 06:01 PM »
Part of the answer is ...How long do you want to hold onto the motor?  I tend to price things to make a quick sale, just so I don't have to deal with "tire kickers" forever. $400-500 seems like a good price.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.