FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Some fishing days are not meant to be!  (Read 3638 times)

taxid

Some fishing days are not meant to be!
« on: May 05, 2019, 04:30 PM »
Ever have a day like that?

Was about to pull out of the driveway with the boat and trailer and lo and behold the trailers lights don't work! They worked fine last year after I installed LED's but shucks no lights! And the boat and trailer have been in the garage all winter. Turns out where the connnecter connects to the vehicle for some reason nothing happens unless I wiggle it a little. Full in no juice. Partially out it works. I added some WD-40 in hopes that would help. Anybody else think these types of connectors are junk? I've actually had a male prong break off with one of these on another harness. I'm going to be changing this out for something better quality!

Anyway, I figured for now to get the the lake I'll just tape the connection together in the position it works. But only one turn signal is working1 So I got under the trailer and made sure there were no loose connections and did find one and fixed that. However now original turn signal stops working but the other side started working. ***censored****?!

So decided to get down there and re-strip some wires and make some good solid connections with screw caps and tape them. Only problem is for only a year old the harness wires are brittle and stripping just breaks the entire wire plastic and inner wire. Very thin aluminum wires in the harness and not much wire in them. The short wires from the LED wires are cooper and more substantial while the harness wires are inferior thin aluminum.  They seem to disintegrate in your hands!

Looks like I need to find a better quality harness to the LED lights along with a better connector!

A friend says he bought a heavy duty extension cord, cut it to length, opened the ends and used that for his harness. Left most of it in the rubber sheath. I think that may be a good idea?

Then I realize the trailer plates have been renewed but my boat sticker has not! No big deal right? I'll just get on the computer and renew and print something out. Wrong! Laptop is dead and charge up cord won't work! Never had an issue with I before now! Wife knows where the other cord is but she's snoozing. I am now typing this as it has been charged with the new cord.

So anyway there's aways tomorrow!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Badbrad2186

Re: Some fishing days are not meant to be!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 08:53 PM »
It's a sign it just wasnt meant to be

rivereddy

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 09:27 PM »
My profound sympathies... In late February, took my John Deere rider to a well known dealer. When I picked it up a couple of weeks later, it was ready to go.  When we finally had a break in the rain last week I went out to the garage and was greeted by a low tire.  No problem- get out  the air can eh? ....all the air had leaked out so off to get it filled.  Roll  it out of the garage.... flip the switch....dead battery....put battery on charger and called it a day.  Went out the next morning and the tire was again low. Aired up tire and ordered a new one. Started the mower and things went fine until the deck threw a drive belt 30 feet later.  And that's how it can take 3 days to mow a small yard. Aside from my yard, I've got a family home on the market. And as a favor, am doing two others for  vacationing friends.  A new boat sits in my garage waiting for the day that I can christen the keel... Some retirement?

fish on

rivereddy

taxid

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 09:31 PM »
It's a sign it just wasnt meant to be

You know I don't want to sound superstitious but you may have a point.

I've also had endeavors that started poorly or had setbacks and it seems they never end good.

Locked my keys in my car before a long trip and the entire trip was nightmare!

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 09:35 PM »
My profound sympathies... In late February, took my John Deere rider to a well known dealer. When I picked it up a couple of weeks later, it was ready to go.  When we finally had a break in the rain last week I went out to the garage and was greeted by a low tire.  No problem- get out  the air can eh? ....all the air had leaked out so off to get it filled.  Roll  it out of the garage.... flip the switch....dead battery....put battery on charger and called it a day.  Went out the next morning and the tire was again low.  aired up tire and started mower.  Ordered new tire. things went fine until the deck threw a drive belt 30 feet later.  And that's how it can take 3 days to mow a small yard. Aside from my yard, I've got a family home on the market. And as a favor, am doing two others for  vacationing friends.  A new boat sits in my garage waiting for the day that I can christen the keel... Some retirement?

fish on

rivereddy

Well that sucks! I'm glad I am not alone!

I do hope you have an easier time than we do removing and reinstalling the mower deck on our Deere for cleaning and blade sharpening.

I got my registration today on the Internet and will head over to a lake within 5 minutes from me tomorrow afternoon after a day of work in the shop. I figure it's close I can use hand signals! Only on right turn there and one left turn back!

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 03:00 AM »
Maybe some intersection you weren't meant to be in when some idiot blew the light.  Persistent setbacks at the most inconvenient times happen for a reason.  A least that's how I try to rationalize it as I'm blowing steam out of both ears.......lol 
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 04:48 AM »
Well, my boat was all ready to hit some local waters for crappies this past weekend. Woke up Saturday morning with a blistering sore throat. Spent the last 2 days on the couch with a cold.

Mama said there'd be days like this!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 07:55 AM »
Maybe some intersection you weren't meant to be in when some idiot blew the light.  Persistent setbacks at the most inconvenient times happen for a reason.  A least that's how I try to rationalize it as I'm blowing steam out of both ears.......lol

Yeah sounds good. lol You know there are those stories about people missing their flights that ended up crashing.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 09:01 AM »
Well, my boat was all ready to hit some local waters for crappies this past weekend. Woke up Saturday morning with a blistering sore throat. Spent the last 2 days on the couch with a cold.

Mama said there'd be days like this!

Rg

Well that sucks!

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 11:38 AM »
You have my sympathies...there are DEFINITELY days like these.

Here in the northeast most of the eastern part of MA has water levels well above the norm, which means rivers are running faster and stronger than usual and ponds and lakes are a little deeper and sometimes murkier than usual.

I am thinking about a kayak day this coming weekend.

Then I checked the weather forecast for the region and it may be my only option for awhile (lots of rain after Mother's Day).

Luckily there I do have a few other options available...
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 07:53 PM »
Three weeks, ago and 4 1/2 hours into a trip to Ohio to fish the Maumee river walleye run, I realized I left my wallet home. Turned around at the next exit and drive another 4 1/2 hours home. I surprised the hell out of myself. Blood pressure never went up. It wasn't meant to be. Doo-doo happens.

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2019, 09:48 PM »
It ALWAYS could be worse....that's what I tell myself but I usually don't listen to myself either....anyway I've had a couple of stinky weeks too...but it could be worse.
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

rivereddy

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 11:22 AM »
Long, long time ago my dentist and long time angling buddy won a trip to Ely Mn to base camp on Basswood lake.
He prepared and prepped for days.  With new line and reels cleaned, at last the time came and up north he went.  When
he arrived, poles and tackle in hand, there was a phone message from his wife.  She was asking him what to do with
all of the fishing reels he had left on the kitchen table..... Fortunately, the outfitter who awarded the prize was a class act and loaned him what he needed.  After a rocky start he had a good trip.

Fish on, anybody see the life jackets?, fish off

rivereddy

taxid

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 01:13 PM »
One summer when I was working as biologist aid, a van pulled up to the borrow pit we were working on. A couple of kids and an adult pulled the boat out and suddenly someone exclaimed, "Oh crap we left the fish poles at home!" So they loaded up the boat and took off again. Didn't see them come back.

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 01:03 PM »
That was last saturday for me....new kicker...flooded it immediately...no trolling getting poured on.  Towed the boat home
...grabbed 2 5w fly rods and my gear and hit the river.  Sometimes having a simple backup is the way to be. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.