FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I want to get into fly fishing  (Read 4212 times)

icefisher47

I want to get into fly fishing
« on: May 16, 2019, 09:49 AM »
Fly fishing has always fascinated me. Is it more peaceful then regular fishing? I just had the first of 3 surgeries where I had 3 discs in my cervical spine fused. Next surgery is going to be in June early July on my lower back so I don’t have as much pain in my leg and I can walk. Looking to tie flies until I can hit the water. Looking for what is good to get to tie flies and while i’m Down what should I get in the ways of equipment for fly fishing. This way I don’t have a big expense all at once. Thank you
Take a kid fishing

lowaccord66

Re: I want to get into fly fishing
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 10:11 AM »
It can be more peaceful or you can end up flailing down the river in your waders after wading too aggressively. 

Too many opinions on what gear is right on both the fly tying and rod reel selections.  I tried to keep it affordable...and failed miserably. 

What I will say is after a 10 or 12hr session my shoulders and lower back are worked!

claymore6

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 10:15 AM »
if you are close enough to Manchester, Vermont; check out the Orvis Fly Fishing school. They will get you started correctly and it is well worth the cost. If you are closer to Maine, LL Bean also has a very good school.  If that fails, check with your local Rod and Gun clubs for an experienced fly fisher that will offewr to show you around.  Fly fishing is great fun and does not have to be expensive.

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 11:59 AM »
Lots of sporting goods stores have fairly cheap rod kits to get you started. That's what I did with my kids. I have a cheap fly tying kit, it's a self contained box with a vice and all the tools. If you look around on the internet at janns netcraft, barlows, eBay, Amazon you probably could find some deals also.

bigal409

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 12:59 PM »
I have been fly fishing for around 10-12 years now and agree that it doesn't have to be all that expensive to get started. I have certainly added to my collection of rods and materials over the years. I've caught something as small as a blue gill to as big as a king salmon that can tip a scale to well over 25 pounds on my flyrod. There are a ton of youtube videos out there that show how to do proper casting as well as tying flies. As far as needing materials to make flies, collecting materials to do the job can be fun as going out in the woods and gathering up turkey feathers, or possibly other breeds of bird feathers. I get a lot of my materials from a craft store as well. The rest can be bought at any sporting goods store that carry tying materials. Cabelas and Bass Pro have some nice materials. good luck and have fun.  :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 01:27 PM »
Chris Myers videos on YouTube really helped me with my casting.

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 10:51 PM »
Yes YouTube can be one of your best friend....tying, equipment and materials as well as tying and casting tutorials....I started out on bluegill/panfish which can be rewarding for catching and tablefare...right now bass pro has a special on a cabellas fly rod outfit with rod tube, reel case, fly box with flies...tools and shoulder bag for $99.97....good luck in your endeavors and your surgeries.
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

icefisher47

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 11:05 PM »
Thank you, I will definitely check out you tube videos. I have heard Cabellas does have good deals on fly fishing rods. I think there might be a fly fishing store near me. I never see it open.
Take a kid fishing

oatkasut

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 08:21 PM »
Cabelas or now Bass Pro Shops has starter outfits for $180, rod, reel, backing, line , case, flies,and leader. Get a 5 weight floating weight forward fly outfit and you can fish most waters.  For lessons and information go to a Trout Unlimited meeting in your area and you will meet fly fisherpersons where you can learn all you need to know. AND you don't have to be a member. I have fished flies now for 35 years on Cabelas equipment with no problems   am self taught  fly casting. There are some basic books at Amazon  or Borders book stores on all the basics of fly fishing for less then $25. Initially all you need are 2 flies, an Adams size 16 dry fly for surface fishing and a gold bead head pheasant tailed nymph size 16 for underwater fishing. Any trout stream will produce fish  if you make the fly look real; a drag free drift for the dry and  close to the bottom for the nymph.You can go from there  and good luck!JUST HAVE FUNMy  goal each season is 100 trips and 1000 trout!   Good luck.

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 07:26 AM »
X2..but that cabellas outfit is the one that is on sale right now at basspro for $99.97.....check out their recent flyer online....some great info from oatka.
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

taxid

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 08:19 AM »
I get as much enjoyment out of flying fishing for panfish as I do on a trout stream. Maybe more.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

seamonkey84

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 09:37 AM »
I get as much enjoyment out of flying fishing for panfish as I do on a trout stream. Maybe more.
+1! Especially when compared to fishing catching small stocked trout. A bluegill over 7” puts up a hell of a fight on a fly rod.
Start yourself with a cheap 9ft 5 or 6wt rod to get a feel for casting. When your comfortable casting and not making a cracking whip sound or hitting the rod with your line/fly (yes, hitting the rod with the fly can break your rod), then get something nicer. I went through two rods in my first full year of fly fishing.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 09:47 AM »
icefisher47, look for a Trout Unlimited Chapter in your area, a wealth on information and a lot of hands on casting and fly tying instruction.
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

icefisher47

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 11:41 AM »
Thank you, I never thought about trout unlimited. I will try them. Want to learn how to tie flies first. I have at least one more back surgery before I can hit the water.
Take a kid fishing

oatkasut

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 09:33 PM »
Most Trout Unlimited meetings start with a fly tying demonstration. Also many have fly tying classes which run independent of the meetings but are held in the winter for 8--10  (Jan. thru March)where you learn the art for a small fee. Each meeting usually has a speaker who talks about some aspect of fly fishing and might also include fly tying. Our last meeting was Bass on the Fly(both small and large mouth). Go to TU online and look up a chapter in your area; then go tho their website and that will give you info on the meeting details. Most clubs  run meetings monthly from Sept. until May and recess for the summer.Good luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.