FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fire pit recipes  (Read 9750 times)

wanabefisherman

Fire pit recipes
« on: Jul 04, 2006, 07:41 AM »
Hi! would anyone have any recipes they like to use over a fire pit, i'm looking for ones you wrap in tin foil and throw into the fire type recipes.
 i've got one i'll share piece of tinfoil (aprox 1 ft. long), put a dab of butter on foil, place raw ground beef on top, then add your veggies what ever kind you like (peppers, onions, potatoes, carrots,celery) these need to be small i like to use a veggie peeler to cut spuds & carrots as they take a little longer to cook, add salt & pepper or any seasonings you prefer and wrap up in your tinfoil and throw into fire for about 20 min. a great meal.

devil-man

Re: Fire pit recipes
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2006, 08:17 AM »
How about just using grates? You can do all kinds of things with them.
The only things I'll wrap in foil and put in the coals are root veggies (spuds, parsnips, carrots, etc.)

billybono

• just passin time till first ice!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2006, 05:52 PM »
there is a half hour special on the food network thats been airing for a while on the exact same subject. next time i catch it ill write some of em down

billybono

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms isn't just a government agency...
It's one heck of a party!!

www.myspace.com/billybono

windwalker

« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2006, 09:10 AM »
Sure, here's one for large trout, 2 to5 lbs. "Allagash trout": split belly and remove guts and gills, salt and pepper inside and out, You will need a cookie sheet, foil, onion, potato, carrots, and butter. grease the pan with butter, slice the veggies all the same size, then spread them onto the pan, fill the trout with onion and lay them onto the cut veggies, cover with foil {good seal} then put onto med high fire or Coleman stove, { Two burner} for about 45 min. OK? serve with white wine then catch more fish.  :P :P :P paul
LORD, GIVE ME STRENGTH
 TO CATCH A FISH, SO BIG, THAT NOT EVEN I,WHEN SPEAKING OF IT, WILL EVER HAVE TO LIE.

devil-man

« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2006, 03:55 AM »
You drink white wine around a fire?   ::)

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2006, 07:47 AM »
I think he meant to say white lightning  ::)

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2006, 08:59 AM »
This technique is known as en papillote, from the French for "butterfly."  The parchment paper was originally cut in a butterfly or heart shape before being filled and folded over.  Yes, it's french.  As are 90% of the tools and methods we use in the kitchen today.

There are a million of these dishes.  Some of them are classics that haven't changed much in decades and some different ones become popular each year.  Here are a few of my favorites.

This was classically done with cod or haddock, but I've seen/cooked it with tilefish, halibut, striper, and mahimahi.  Not to mention walleye and pike.
Fish of your choice
tomato slices
kalamata olives
butter
red pepper flakes
orange zest
few herb spears of your choice thyme, basil, flatleaf parsley, whatever you've got other than sage
S&P

This is almost always done with steelhead, but I think any salmon works well enough
Fish
carrots
yukon gold potatoes
kalamata olives
lemon zest
thyme
garlic
olive oil
S&P
Slice and blanche the veggies for a minute, toss with the EVOO, continue as normal

Here's my favorite chicken en papillote
chiken thighs
cooked bacon with a pat of the grease
yellow and red grape tomatoes
asparagus spears
summer squash
mint sprigs  Yes, mint...trust me
a splash of beer  It'll be all the better if the the beer is from a WI microbrewery  ;)

Enjoy, Wannabe.  If you're camping, you can cook all of these in the oven at home and then just warm them in the fire so you don't have to wait as long.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

billybono

• just passin time till first ice!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2006, 06:38 PM »
I think he meant to say white lightning  ::)

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

hehehehehehe   now thats fun...dont care who ya are

billybono

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms isn't just a government agency...
It's one heck of a party!!

www.myspace.com/billybono

Eye Hunter

« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2006, 08:34 PM »
( Dutch Oven Walleye )     Place a layer of bacon slices in the bottom of a dutch oven. Add a layer of Walleye fillets. Sprinkle black pepper on the fillets.At right angles add another layer of bacon. then another layer of Walleye and pepper. Keep doing this until you run out of Walleye.  Cover the dutch oven securely and mound hot coals on the sides and top. Cook for 35 - 40 minutes.  ;D  you can wrap some spuds in foil and throw them in the coals also.

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #9 on: Jul 13, 2006, 12:01 AM »
.  Yes, it's french.  As are 90% of the tools and methods we use in the kitchen today.

Sounds great xrhino. 

90%?  Don't tell my wife that----she is Polish and uses methods and tools from there <90% of the time  ;D

1tigger

• Nothing like a Jitterbug in the dark !!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 13, 2006, 10:57 AM »
( Dutch Oven Walleye )     Place a layer of bacon slices in the bottom of a dutch oven. Add a layer of Walleye fillets. Sprinkle black pepper on the fillets.At right angles add another layer of bacon. then another layer of Walleye and pepper. Keep doing this until you run out of Walleye.  Cover the dutch oven securely and mound hot coals on the sides and top. Cook for 35 - 40 minutes.  ;D  you can wrap some spuds in foil and throw them in the coals also.

I gotta try that it sounds really good  ! Thanks for the recipe .

blaque

« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2006, 01:08 PM »
Cook up a tupperware bowl full of elbow noodles before camping. Throw a handful in a sheet of tinfoil, hunk of a large chunk of velveeta to throw in top, close the foil up with nice tight, neat seams, and throw it in the hottest nook of the fire. Better than Kraft anyday. What about hobo pies. butter, two pieces of bread and fill em' up.  Pepperoni, sauce and Mozz. and ya got pizza at the campsite. Some blueberry pie filling in a can , and ya got desert! Very cheap. Gotta get a good iron though or they stick and just P### ya off.

devil-man

« Reply #12 on: Jul 13, 2006, 07:00 PM »
What about hobo pies. butter, two pieces of bread and fill em' up.  Pepperoni, sauce and Mozz. and ya got pizza at the campsite.

One of my favorites! We always make a jar of sauce with meat and goodies added, then freeze it before we leave. I have lived on them!

ifishhi

• fall togue on a 6wt.....what a fight!
« Reply #13 on: Jul 15, 2006, 08:27 AM »
This technique is known as en papillote, from the French for "butterfly." 

my understanding of that term means "in paper"  8)

Polar

« Reply #14 on: Jul 15, 2006, 09:48 PM »
One of my favorites! We always make a jar of sauce with meat and goodies added, then freeze it before we leave. I have lived on them!

Mine too! Pizzia ones are my favorite followed by cherry pie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.