FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623678 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3615 on: May 12, 2018, 07:35 PM »
combing out yarn  and  using it  works and  if  your tying   small yarn flies  it's ok  but if  you  use   it for  bigger  flies  it  retains  a lot  water and  makes  it  hard  to pick up  ....rug yarn   can  be that way
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

bigal409

« Reply #3616 on: May 12, 2018, 08:03 PM »
The walleye sure like it.  :laugh:

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3617 on: May 14, 2018, 12:47 AM »
Boy....you guys have the bug bad.  :laugh:

It's addicting ....isn't it?

Rg
....tying is very addicting and using different things to make flies is awesome..if my yarn retains water that's OK it works good for me after you brush out yarn you have dubbing 2 products from one I can give my coffee bean grinder a break

trapper2000

« Reply #3618 on: May 14, 2018, 03:43 AM »
it's  not that it  doesn't  work  good  and  not that  walleyes  don't  like it    and if your  using a  spinning rod you have no problem  but your  casting with a  fly rod is  handicapped ....I think  cotton yarn  retains  the  most weight 

bigal409

« Reply #3619 on: May 14, 2018, 07:18 PM »
You must be using the wrong yarn trapper. Lion brand yarn is 100% arcrylic. No cotton. True I use it on my jigs but my buddy makes great flies with it and gets steelhead using it.  ;D

trapper2000

« Reply #3620 on: May 14, 2018, 07:45 PM »
I've  used  all  kinds  al   cotton  was  the  worse   like  rug yarn   antron  was  pretty  good  ....  mc fee glow bug  yarn is   good   I like that  i'll show  you how  to  make a  glow bug  pen  you can  have  50  glow  bugs in a hour  and  never have to trim a one   :D

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #3621 on: May 14, 2018, 11:34 PM »
I love it, I got it half way right then, I called this one half a rainbow chicken when I was done with it

This would be the other half I guess, not as long, but I added double and triple the layers of marabou

Those started off as

The deep end of that worm hook is wrapped with a bunny strip so it maintains a deep body profile. Those use the same magnum bunny strip as the this bunny seaducer/leech (two bunny strips palmered together for the body)

My son loves to flyfish for pike and ties some amazing flies for pike and stripers...i'll show him your post fir some nice tie patterns...thanks for sharing.
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

seamonkey84

« Reply #3622 on: May 15, 2018, 07:12 AM »
My son loves to flyfish for pike and ties some amazing flies for pike and stripers...i'll show him your post fir some nice tie patterns...thanks for sharing.
https://www.flytyer.com/well-fed-pike-flies/
Here is the recipe that I found. I’ve tried a few different hooks so far, and the gamakatsu mentioned in the recipe are what I’m going to stay with, but the eagle claw lazer wide gaps work too.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #3623 on: May 15, 2018, 09:48 AM »
Here is the recipe that I found. I’ve tried a few different hooks so far, and the gamakatsu mentioned in the recipe are what I’m going to stay with, but the eagle claw lazer wide gaps work too.
Thanks for posting this. Happen to have a bunch of old offset worm hooks that should work.   Cabela's just refunded us a gift card for 6 year old floor lamps that were falling apart due to bad materials.  Mama said use it for something nice.  An 8 wt. fly outfit is on the way that somehow added up the penny what the refund totaled.  :laugh: Hope to get after carp, bass on bugs, and pike this year.  Lofty goals but, hey, it's my dream.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

MattyP123

« Reply #3624 on: May 15, 2018, 10:30 AM »

Threw some black crap at a couple hooks to see what would stick. Not used to having a second hook or tail hook or whatever. stuck myself a few times.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3625 on: May 15, 2018, 05:30 PM »
Very sexy looking Matt.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

westernmas

« Reply #3626 on: May 15, 2018, 07:23 PM »
Decided to tie a couple of flies during these crazy thunderstorms. Luckily just missed the hail. Two buggers and two hares ears w a Partridge collar n a hot spot.

AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

MattyP123

« Reply #3627 on: May 15, 2018, 11:14 PM »
Thanks Bob. Schlappen is a hell of a material for streamers I've learned

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #3628 on: May 15, 2018, 11:48 PM »
Thanks seamonkey...i will pass it on to my son....will post some pics if he ties some of these.
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3629 on: May 16, 2018, 05:28 AM »
I was tying up a few spin flies this morning. I like spin flies👍. It occurred to me to try tying a "Spin Mop".

It's got real possibilities for the crappies......I think. Need to do a few more to get it looking good.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.