FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Panfish Maniacs !!!!!  (Read 286563 times)

Doubles Shooter

Re: Panfish Maniacs !!!!!
« Reply #1695 on: Jun 16, 2020, 05:42 AM »
My fishing buddy passed two years ago.  Yesterday took his niece and her five year old son out for his first boat ride and to catch his first fish.  My buddy would be proud!

Great job. That young man is now probably hooked for life. He probably fell asleep that night dreaming of fights with huge fish. :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1696 on: Jun 16, 2020, 09:26 AM »
Trolled the canal this morning. Fish were striking short on the worm harness so I switched to a Walley Diver. Caught quite a few largemouth and smallmouth, a few Rockies, one big channel cat and lost something pretty big after a few minute fight. I'm guessing another cat or maybe a drum. All it wanted was bottom and I couldn't stop it with a fairly heavy rod and 10 lb braid. All were released to bite another day.

All the warriors showed up around 8:30. 2 of the Yahoo's passed me at full throttle not more than 10 yards away while I was trolling. Made me wish I had my wrist rocket and some ball bearings. I was fishing at 5:00 and home by 9:45.

Think I'm going to head to the creek for a batch of crayfish later. Haven't played with them in a while.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Pequod1

« Reply #1697 on: Jun 16, 2020, 02:52 PM »
I would probably lose it if that happened to me. I had a much better experience today. A couple dozen perch, a few bass, sunnnues  and Rockies. I kept 9 perch for dinner and the rest went back.  Only one yahoo out there in a pontoon boat. Zipped by me heading south with the rap music blazing  away and then zipped by me heading north.  Also had a float plane practicing take off and landings on the opposite shore.  Kind of neat.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #1698 on: Jun 17, 2020, 04:28 AM »
Great job. That young man is now probably hooked for life. He probably fell asleep that night dreaming of fights with huge fish. :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
Thanks, everyone!  I Was glad the whole day came together.  Nothing better than kids and bluegills.  Well, maybe an old guy with a light rod and bluegills...............  Taking a buddy and his wife out this morning.  She likes to use an ice rod icefishing style for them.  I have a couple of microlite 4' rods with underspins I'm taking along so I can play too.  Should be fun! 
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #1699 on: Jun 17, 2020, 03:03 PM »
Another fun day was had!  Gin clear water and the high blue sky made the vertical bite about non-existent.  Switched his wife to a long rod/rocket bobber for suspended fish and we filled their little cooler in short order.  Long casts with a weighted Bully's Bluegill Spider was the ticket this morning.  The slow drop seemed to be the key.  Released as many as we kept, a lot of fun!

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #1700 on: Jul 17, 2020, 08:32 PM »
Hit a local panfish hole this afternoon.  Tough bite on jigs and dropshots.  Started trolling the little worm harness and they couldn't resist.  Tried some plastics on it and the bite died.  Went back to meat and they hammered it.  Caught and released a few dozen gills, a few perch, and a couple bass in three hours.  A lot of fun!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1701 on: Jul 18, 2020, 06:38 AM »
Those mini harnesses really do the job. I don’t fish weekends...too many yahooos, but I plan on Monday morning. Ive caught just about everything there  is to catch in the canal on them. Your little sinkers are the best!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

gotagetm

« Reply #1702 on: Jul 18, 2020, 09:14 AM »
My brother uses this little eagle claw spinners wit half a crawler for eyes in silver lake and catches everything else too

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #1703 on: Jul 18, 2020, 06:39 PM »
Those mini harnesses really do the job. I don’t fish weekends...too many yahooos, but I plan on Monday morning. Ive caught just about everything there  is to catch in the canal on them. Your little sinkers are the best!

Rg
I dont' either but I knew I could get in and out this spot with no crowd before the weekenders showed up.  Wanted to scout some gills for a morning gill fest with a friend this week coming.  You know where they live if you need a few more.... 8)

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #1704 on: Jul 18, 2020, 06:40 PM »
My brother uses this little eagle claw spinners wit half a crawler for eyes in silver lake and catches everything else too
Hit Silver last week and caught a bunch of decent gills and I couldn't tell you how many 8 3/4" crappies....lol

Pequod1

« Reply #1705 on: Jul 19, 2020, 05:16 AM »
I stay away from the weekends too especially with too many people and Covid. I have to get back to the panfish fishing soon.  I am a little disappointed in Silver lake this year.  I fully expected all the 8” crappies from last year would be descent size this year.  Can’t figure out why. I hope the reason isn’t fishing pressure.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1706 on: Jul 19, 2020, 06:00 AM »
I’ve been taking the fly rod to a spot on the canal after my morning walks. Testing flies and catching little gills. Water is really warm and the fish are slow to do anything during the day. (So am I) My creek is still riled from the heavy rainstorms but it should settle down this week.

In the mean time I’m playing around with making a fixture for painting and winding the “old timey bobbers”.

Rg

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #1707 on: Jul 21, 2020, 04:06 PM »
Put a new graph on the boat and wanted to take "getting to know you" ride.  Got a bunch of nice gills on jigs for my neighbor but proceeded to slam them when I dropped the little spinner to ride around  and work with the graph.  Stopped counting @ 100 at 1100.  They were stacked up at 20' over 40 fow.  Never would have stumbled on them other than trolling.  All but 20 released for another day.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1708 on: Jul 21, 2020, 04:19 PM »
Thats great SM.  Nice job.. :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1709 on: Jul 21, 2020, 05:57 PM »
Very nice!

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.