FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fall perchin in finger lakes  (Read 5465 times)

filetandrelease

Re: Fall perchin in finger lakes
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2020, 08:23 AM »

Well done mcully

mcully

« Reply #16 on: Oct 19, 2020, 09:10 AM »
Tried Skinny Saturday and it's tough. Dropped on a 40' spot I marked fish and bam hit a nice 11" double and thought game on. Wrong. The perch are really moving around and that school was gone before I could drop on them again. Did figure out a little weed bite and ended up with a dozen with a few in the 13" range but fished a bunch of water from 40-10'. plenty of rockies and smallmouth to have fun but tough compared to where I've been fishing. Wife and a few of her friends asked me to take them on a short booze cruise or I would have stuck to the easy bite lake. Now I'm drawn back to skinny to see if I can get on those big ones better. Waters 59 degrees and waters down about three feet.

Pequod1

« Reply #17 on: Oct 19, 2020, 12:16 PM »
I read that John Gaulke was recently in Skinny and one of his clients caught a 23" walleye. They also got a 14" perch and the normal bunch of rockies and small bass.  I just can't get over how thin the fish are in that lake. Probably from a lack of alewives.
  I am thinking of making an Oneida appearance later this week. Should be interesting.

mcully

« Reply #18 on: Oct 19, 2020, 01:03 PM »
Skinny isn't short for the real name. You need 10 plus inch perch to get anything but they sure do taste good. Everything eats crayfish, shrimp or perch fry for the most part. The mayfly hatch is also big food source. It's not an easy big fish lake for sure. Much better in our area

mcully

« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2020, 08:43 AM »
Little breezy for lake I was on but perch were biting still. Took 4 year old grandson out.

mcully

« Reply #20 on: Oct 26, 2020, 09:06 AM »
Some scrawny Skaneateles perch jumped in the bucket yesterday. It was tough for me but managed 20. 8-20’ near weeds.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #21 on: Oct 26, 2020, 09:59 AM »
Looks like a good bucket to me...
 Congratulations....     :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Pequod1

« Reply #22 on: Nov 06, 2020, 05:27 PM »
Went to Cayuga today out of union springs.  The water is low at the launch and my back tires were in the water.  It was doable though and I was alone.
Fishing was good in 17-18’. I caught non stop perch in all areas I stopped . Unfortunately, the size was no where near as good as Oneida but I did manage a bunch of nicer fish.  I am back to releasing everything so they are there for the taking.. I even played around with my ice rod jigging under the boat for a while.

SeanP

• Formally known as SPN
« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2020, 06:45 PM »
Yeah the Cayuga perch are a bit skinny!!!!

SeanP

oatkasut

« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2020, 06:48 PM »
Practice makes perfect!

mcully

« Reply #25 on: Nov 21, 2020, 01:50 PM »
Still chewing
Stuffed with two inch perch and one inch sunnies in 20-30’ water

filetandrelease