FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fish Finder Suggestions  (Read 2321 times)

sculver7

Fish Finder Suggestions
« on: Feb 11, 2020, 08:29 AM »
Hello everyone. I wanted to ask opinions on fish finders. I have narrowed my decision down to 2 models: Lowrance Hook2 5 with tripleshot transducer or the Humminbird Helix 5 DI GPS G2. I was originally going to go with the Humminbird, but then I saw the Lowrance with the tripleshot ducer (this includes down imaging and side imaging) for a good price. The only reason I am hesitant on the Lowrance is that my brother-in-law had gotten a Lowrance about 2 years ago and has had nothing with trouble with it. Also, I read multiple reviews of the Lowrance that explained catastrophic failures of the units after about a year of use.

Does anyone have any experience or input on either of these units? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

lovetfish

Re: Fish Finder Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2020, 11:00 AM »
What ever make you decide on I would go with at least 7" screen I have a Helix 5 and a Helix 7 wold never have another 5 in screen

fishcrazy

« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2020, 11:37 AM »
Having owned both...Humminbird all the way.

LundProv

« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2020, 05:41 PM »
sculver, I hate to go outside of your search, as you clearly mentioned Lowrance and Hummingbird but I would encourage you to look into Garmin.  I have had Lowrance for many years and struggled with menus and lousy customer service.  Now don't get me wrong, once I got the hang of Lowrance, I could use it as far as I was willing to learn it.  I know nothing about Hummingbird and I am certain they are fine units.  I purchased a Garmin Echomap 94SV on black Friday for $599 at Cabela's and it is crazy easy to use.  All touch screen with easy logical menu's and very clear imaging.  I also have a panoptix (extra money) transducer and this has been fun to learn and play with.  It has the capability to upgrade to livescope and I have seen and read on the internet that most everyone that has paid more to upgrade to livescope, declares it to be a game changer.  At this stage of life, I am trying to keep things simple and have finally (duh) figured out that most of us are blessed with plenty of toys and all we need to do now is prioritize the use of these toys... Too many options in this abundant life...

sculver7

« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2020, 08:52 PM »
I’m not particular to brand, I just want something that is going to work. I had looked at Garmin, but looking in my price range (wanting to stay under 400 bucks), Garmin seemed to be a little bit lacking for features in this price range. I just can’t justify spending more than 400 at this point, as you talked about, a fish finder is not a huge priority in my life right now.... but I DO want the best fish finder that 400 bucks or less can buy! 😂 Thanks for the input. Much appreciated!

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2020, 10:47 AM »
I’m not particular to brand, I just want something that is going to work. I had looked at Garmin, but looking in my price range (wanting to stay under 400 bucks), Garmin seemed to be a little bit lacking for features in this price range. I just can’t justify spending more than 400 at this point, as you talked about, a fish finder is not a huge priority in my life right now.... but I DO want the best fish finder that 400 bucks or less can buy! 😂 Thanks for the input. Much appreciated!

Why not buy a used HDS8 or 7, Gen2 from ebay.
Solid unit for the money.
But get a Gen2 - not a Gen1.
Better processor and internal GPS software.

sculver7

« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2020, 06:23 PM »
Why not buy a used HDS8 or 7, Gen2 from ebay.
Solid unit for the money.
But get a Gen2 - not a Gen1.
Better processor and internal GPS software.

I just checked on eBay. I didn’t see any gen 2’s in the price range I’m looking for.

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2020, 07:02 PM »

Mac Attack

« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2020, 07:07 PM »
And there are more
You might need to buy a power cord and transducer
But you should be able to locate a deal on everything
Or a complete unit
You have a couple months to locate one before the weather breaks

BTW, I just bought an HDS8 with bracket and power cord for $300
No ducer but I already have one

Good luck

sculver7

« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2020, 07:57 AM »
And there are more
You might need to buy a power cord and transducer
But you should be able to locate a deal on everything
Or a complete unit
You have a couple months to locate one before the weather breaks

BTW, I just bought an HDS8 with bracket and power cord for $300
No ducer but I already have one

Good luck

Thanks for the help. It is much appreciated. I actually ended up buying a Garmin echomap 63CV. I don't know if Cabela's accidentally listed it at this price or if they were trying to move old models, but I got it for $299.00 and when I looked again this morning, they don't even have it listed on the website. Either way, I am happy with my purchase. Thanks for all the input. It is much appreciated.

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:10 AM »
Thanks for the help. It is much appreciated. I actually ended up buying a Garmin echomap 63CV. I don't know if Cabela's accidentally listed it at this price or if they were trying to move old models, but I got it for $299.00 and when I looked again this morning, they don't even have it listed on the website. Either way, I am happy with my purchase. Thanks for all the input. It is much appreciated.

Sweet!

fishcrazy

« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2020, 09:32 AM »
Congrats. I do have a Garmin on my little boat. It is pretty sweet

gotagetm

« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2020, 06:40 AM »
garmen are nice but like hummingbird
got helix 5 on my terrova trolling motor a helix 7 on dash and a helix 9 on  bigger boat love the all

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.