FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 517363 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #3840 on: Aug 23, 2020, 11:37 AM »
need a little help.I know its early but i have pumpkins that will be fully orange within days and vine is starting to go the other way.Should i leave em in the yard in the sun or pick and put in cellar.they are only for jack o lanterns for nieces and neighbor hood kids.But really dont want to lose em.What think you .THANKS

I have actually keep pumpkins all winter long and carved them on an end of May camping/fishing trip...  My buddies thought I was  :cookoo: :cookoo: :whistling: :whistling:
 Try this....
https://oklahoman.com/article/5334801/ray-ridlen-how-to-preserve-pumpkins-until-halloween 
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #3841 on: Aug 23, 2020, 11:49 AM »
Looking great loser  8)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3842 on: Aug 23, 2020, 11:52 AM »
Looking great loser  8)
  You OK there little buddy? You just posted this same thing 20 minutes ago.....  :o
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3843 on: Aug 23, 2020, 01:50 PM »
Jubilee, beefsteak hybrids. And pickles gone wild.

Makes nice salad for dinner.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #3844 on: Aug 24, 2020, 06:22 AM »

You OK there little buddy? You just posted this same thing 20 minutes ago.....  :o
:o :o

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #3845 on: Aug 24, 2020, 07:20 AM »
Those are some tomatoes Dacker!

Pulled some jalapeño, Anaheim, Serrano and Hungarian wax peppers. Making pepper jam tonight when I was planning to watch the subway series....

Canned 10 jars of pepper jam last night. Amazing how much sugar is required but soooooo good

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3846 on: Aug 24, 2020, 09:00 AM »
Use the low sugar fruit pectin and you can cut it in half. Tastes just as good too.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #3847 on: Aug 24, 2020, 09:10 AM »
Good to know, I’ll throw that little tip in my notes. Thanks RG

fishinator

« Reply #3848 on: Aug 25, 2020, 07:16 AM »
  Any of you guys try topping your pepper plants? I decided to give it a try this year and I haven't been disappointed. I have never had pepper plants get this big or produce this much. One jalapeño plant has already produced 135 peppers and it is still loaded. It worked great on the bell peppers too. I counted 50 on one plant.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3849 on: Aug 25, 2020, 07:35 AM »
That’s a lot of peppers. I’d say it works!

Rg

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #3850 on: Aug 25, 2020, 08:25 AM »
Can’t say that I have and can’t argue with your results.

Along the same lines I grow peppers well into October. And there seems to be more buds after I start harvesting.

You may be into something

fishinator

« Reply #3851 on: Aug 25, 2020, 09:00 AM »
I read several articles about it. Basically when the plant gets about a foot tall and has 8 to 10 leaves, you just pinch off the center. I also picked off the first 2 rounds of blooms. I did it to 6 plants and all of them are huge and producing. I also gave them miracle grow plant food every 10 days.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3852 on: Aug 25, 2020, 06:06 PM »
3 batches of garden goodies shredded up for zucchini relish to be cooked and jarred tomorrow..

Now time to hose the deck off.... :P

Bartman44

« Reply #3853 on: Aug 25, 2020, 07:25 PM »
Looks great Dom!  I plucked a pile of tomatlllos this morning and the wife was busy making green salsa today. It's harvest time.   

seamonkey84

« Reply #3854 on: Aug 25, 2020, 11:17 PM »
I read several articles about it. Basically when the plant gets about a foot tall and has 8 to 10 leaves, you just pinch off the center. I also picked off the first 2 rounds of blooms. I did it to 6 plants and all of them are huge and producing. I also gave them miracle grow plant food every 10 days.
Yea I’ve seen a few videos that described topping or not, along with pinching off blooms so the plant grows bigger before fruiting. That is all seems relative to the type of pepper and the length of your growing season. Some types, like serranos or bells take longer mature or ripen. Doing much pruning may set your harvest back too far into the season.  then again you may end up with a bigger harvest instead Either way.  That’s also assuming your not just picking them when they’re plump but still green. Yes you can pick a pepper at about any point. but since your growing them yourself, shouldn’t you let them mature and taste the fully ripe goodness vs the always immature store bought peppers.  Then again, if you prefer the green pepper taste, who am I to judge.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.