FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513123 times)

ActiveTrapChecker

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #3780 on: Aug 03, 2020, 05:53 AM »
Beans came up fast, second and third crops of radishes are all sprouted, tomatoes are still green >:( Spinach is doing well too.

Cayenne peppers are coming on fast. Brussels sprouts are growing big but still no signs of sprouts. I’ve  never grown them before so I really don’t know what to expect. Have to do some research i guess.

Rg

Sounds like nearly everything is coming in nicely. I’m in the same boat as you with the Brussel sprouts. I planted some for the princess’s pet rabbit. Sure do look nice and strong but there’s no signs of any sprouts

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3781 on: Aug 03, 2020, 06:08 AM »
Brussels sprouts grow slow..  But will keep growing through most frosts and even snow...If your plants are big and healthy they will start getting sprouts soon..    ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3782 on: Aug 03, 2020, 07:41 AM »
They’re big and healthy for sure. Had a few holes from the slugs but i put down diatomaceous earth and slug bait and put an end to that. There’s one that’s making very loose sprouts and from what I’ve read so far, I should pull that one. I have 3 more starting in another bed. Maybe they’ll do something this year as well.

Finished pulling my potatoes this morning.

Plenty for my Bride and I and a few friends.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #3783 on: Aug 03, 2020, 07:09 PM »
First real pull of the season 8)

filetandrelease

« Reply #3784 on: Aug 03, 2020, 07:34 PM »

Looking good Edd

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3785 on: Aug 04, 2020, 05:07 AM »
Nice harvests guys...... :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #3786 on: Aug 04, 2020, 06:05 AM »
Bought and mounted one today. Lowes...$3.98 less my still active 10% discount. Put it on the garden gate post.

Rg

P.s.

No rain today.probably never rain again.

Should get a decent workout today if the tropical storm gets inland towards you...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3787 on: Aug 04, 2020, 07:11 AM »
Just under an inch so far. We look to be on the edge of things. Could go either way i guess. Fine by me. We needed some good steady rain.

As long as it holds off around 10:00 for an hour or so Ill be happy. Headed to the driving range to work on my reconstructed golf swing....some more.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3788 on: Aug 04, 2020, 03:03 PM »
Up to 1 1/2” of rain now. Gardens are very happy.

Now I have to mow the damned lawns again.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3789 on: Aug 06, 2020, 06:14 AM »
So, my research tells me that my tomatoes may not be turning red because its been too hot. According to the experts, they want temps between 66 and 77 degrees to produce ethelyne, ( i think that’s how its spelled) the chemical that causes them to ripen. They also suggest topping the plants as a sort of last resort.

I'll wait on that for a while.

Rg

taxid

« Reply #3790 on: Aug 06, 2020, 07:40 AM »
So, my research tells me that my tomatoes may not be turning red because its been too hot. According to the experts, they want temps between 66 and 77 degrees to produce ethelyne, ( i think that’s how its spelled) the chemical that causes them to ripen. They also suggest topping the plants as a sort of last resort.

I'll wait on that for a while.

Rg

How about some kind of compost or straw to keep temps down in the soil?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #3791 on: Aug 06, 2020, 08:11 AM »
How about some kind of compost or straw to keep temps down in the soil?

No you got me thinking that my weed guard isn’t helping much. Someone previously asked in this thread if I was concerned about soil temp.

Cherry tomatoes are ripe daily. Just not the bigger tomatoes.

And the hot peppers are having a great year

gotagetm

« Reply #3792 on: Aug 06, 2020, 09:00 AM »
No ripe tomatoes here either ,lot on plants only one a bit yellow

taxid

« Reply #3793 on: Aug 06, 2020, 09:57 AM »
I have some ripe tomatoes but not many yet either.

Yellow peppers are just starting to change color to Yellow. But they are huge!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3794 on: Aug 06, 2020, 10:44 AM »
I think it’s more the temperature of the tomatoes themselves that matters. The chemical is produced in the fruit not the plant.....I think.

I’ll have to study this some more..

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.