FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Champlain  (Read 4971 times)

bikrsrule

Lake Champlain
« on: Mar 25, 2021, 03:41 PM »
Hello from NH, I am not looking for anyones hotspot just some local info, I used to fish lakers out of shelburne bay in the spring so no need for downriggers or lead line, my question is: when is a good time to fish em, lakers and salmon? Do you have to go further south than shelburne bay to fish for salmon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, its just quite a drive with little or no info..
Feel free to PM if you would like to stay anonymous..
Mark

Fish Farmer

Re: Lake Champlain
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2021, 11:55 AM »
Right now and into May for shallow water salmon and lakers.

I hear lakers are caught right off the mouth of the Winooski River in the spring.

Both can be caught from the Champlain Bridge in Addison all the way north to Grand Isle. Good Vermont areas to focus are where warm water enters the lake, Otter Creek, Lewis Creek, etc. The Vermont side is shallower than the NY side and seems to warm quicker, eventually the fish will set up in summer spots in the deep areas of the lake.

Many have been having trouble finding consistent salmon fishing in recent years, but the lakers are doing very well, successfully spawning in the lake now.

Here is a link to another site where there is more chatter on Lake Champlain fishing, https://www.lakechamplainunited.com/forums/

bikrsrule

« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2021, 04:00 AM »
Thank you Fish Farmer for the info it was very helpful. Tight lines to you!!!!

Dirt23

« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2021, 05:43 AM »
We've gone up trolling for Lakers early April had some luck but early mid May when water temp hits 50 action really starts picking up, bump planers of shore with some stick baits we've trolled from Shelburne up to outer mallets with fish all the way, never caught salmon but may get some big smallies as they come up to spawn mid end of may

bikrsrule

« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2021, 07:09 AM »
Dirt23 That is what I was thinking too just wasnt sure I was remembering right, so I should hold off a few more weeks? The water is still a bit chilly.

Fish Farmer

« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2021, 12:13 PM »
Dirt23 That is what I was thinking too just wasnt sure I was remembering right, so I should hold off a few more weeks? The water is still a bit chilly.

Here's where I look for Lake Champlain weather, there is an interactive map for potential wind direction as well as a few temperature gages. Diamond Island off Otter Creek is a good one to keep an eye on since it is really close to the mouth of Otter Creek.
https://www.weather.gov/btv/recreation

I've generally done better in that area of the lake in May, early to Memorial Day, usually by Memorial Day the salmon are down a few feet.

FWIW my experience on the lake in the spring is a decade old. I usually go out in the winter with a buddy who knows the lake well.

Dirt23

« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2021, 06:25 AM »
Looks like Burlington Bay is still 36 degrees I'd hold out a bit I probably won't make a trip till last week of April first of May. 

bikrsrule

« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2021, 03:10 AM »
Thanks again for the info Dirt23, I see your from Lyme, any open water in your area? I have been to winnie twice, 1 4lb salmon and a 18" rainbow on thursday in the wind and rain, 1 small salmon and 2 nice rainbows yesterday..

Dirt23

« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2021, 05:34 AM »
Post pond opened up Wednesday Connecticut river has been open a couple weeks.  My kicker motor will be back from the doctors this week may try some prespawn walleye on river next weekend

bikrsrule

« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2021, 11:54 AM »
back on winnie this morning got 1 19" salmon right after sunrise then nothing..thats fishing..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.