FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit out sponsor FishUSA.com

Author Topic: Kayak Bug  (Read 32915 times)

perchgypsy

Re: Kayak Bug
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2017, 05:19 PM »
I keep I nice strong branch (about 7-8 foot long) on my kayak ,sharpen one end and stick it in the bottom and tye off to it, beats pulling up a anchor if your shallow enough...

CowDawg

« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2017, 06:58 PM »
Thanks guys! Unfortunately my budget is well under $500  ::), so I am looking for something cheap just to get in one for now!

Rutt.  if you missed what I told ya before  ::)..   Watch the Dick's ads in the very near future.!!!!! 

I got my particular kayak on sale last year on their Father's Day sale.......  way under your  $500. budget...   

I wanna say it was "almost" half price off but just a tad slightly higher.. it was a super sweet deal!   They have a couple sweet sale days like that.   

BUT you gotta stay sharp and watch for it. :thumbup_smilie:

If your really interested I can dig up my receipts and get the actual price.

If you buy something cheap, you may regret it later..  for fishing you need some storage room. If your a big guy you need a little body room.. just look at Chez!   ;D

chris458wm

« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2017, 11:18 PM »
Chris   your welcome with us guys anytime.
John boat or Yak.
I have 3 Yaks your welcome to use one.

Thanks Pal, I greatly appreciate the offer and invite and will certainly be joining you guys this year. 

Spider1

« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2017, 05:28 AM »
Rutt is tall, not much fat unless he's been hittin the second helpings, but he is a big guy.

Don't think cheap. You will regret it. Get a good deal and don't turn your nose up at used. Some of these nicer kayaks are bought buy guys that try them once and decide to stick to the couch. A couple years later they need the garage space.

Do you need to have a sit on top or would you be happy with a sit inside like Chez and cowdawg got. They tend to be less expensive because there is less plastic and they don't tend to put as many gadgets on them. Get a longer one so you'll be comfortable but wide also because you will be using it for fishing more than cruising.

I just took a quick look, there's a 12' Future beach trophy 144 with 2 paddles, flush mount pole holders and a scotty holder and a launch permit that's good until 2018 for $375 in Tamaqua. That's a very good deal. I don't know what make of paddles the guy has but they can get pricy and you can figure they would be $100-$300 unless they are really cheap. They guy has 2 so I'm figuring he got a cheap one and then spent the cash for a better one... I'm guessing.

CHEZ2

« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2017, 06:39 AM »
That is a good deal SPIDER..
RUTNUT should HOP on that.....
Maybe sell his prize winnings from the ice tournament and buy the YAK.

CHEZ2

« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2017, 06:41 AM »

just look at Chez!   ;D
NOT FUNNY ,,,BEACH BALL BELLY :D

chris458wm

« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2017, 08:53 AM »
I don't have a kayak and never have been in one and have been thinking about them.  To me it seems like a 10' boat would be more stable and user friendly, stable, and have a lot more room for stuff especially for a bigger guy like me.

Spider1

« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2017, 09:54 AM »
Chris, they are great. basically, if you can get to the water, you can get on the water. No need for a boat ramp. I have a wilderness systems ride 115. It's 11 1/2' long and it's perfect for PA fishing. But if I could, I'd trade it for a 135 in a flash. I have dreams of getting out on salt water this year and would like a slightly bigger boat. The 115 will be fine for bays and staying close to shore, I won't be going much farther than a mile out. As far as length goes, I wouldn't even look at a yak that's less than 10ft because I don't do white water or small rivers and don't plan on it. 10' boats are easier to store and easy to throw in the back of the truck... but, they will leave you with the feeling that you need a little more. 12' is a what I usually look at. 14' and larger for a fishing kayak is a big boat. Big lakes, and beyond the breakers.

one of the most important things though when you buy a kayak is the paddle length. There are web sites around that have a suggested scale for figuring paddle length. They calculate the paddlers height and the width of the kayak, but other things like the height of the kayak seat and the paddling style (high or low) matter also. Basically they give you a ballpark figure.

RuttNutt

« Reply #23 on: Mar 08, 2017, 11:19 AM »
If your a big guy you need a little body room.. just look at Chez!   ;D

Well, the last time I saw Chez, he was a...............................LEAN, MEAN, FISHING MACHINE!  ;D

RuttNutt

« Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2017, 11:26 AM »
That is a good deal SPIDER..
RUTNUT should HOP on that.....
Maybe sell his prize winnings from the ice tournament and buy the YAK.

LMBO!!!!!!!!!  ;D  I'm thinking that probably won't ever happen. I offered to meet him any day, any time, any place to pick up my prize(as HE suggested on his site) and he refuses to meet me face to face.  ::) Not surprised though.......................................I figured he wouldn't have the stones for it!  ;)

RuttNutt

« Reply #25 on: Mar 08, 2017, 11:34 AM »
Rutt is tall, not much fat unless he's been hittin the second helpings, but he is a big guy.

Don't think cheap. You will regret it. Get a good deal and don't turn your nose up at used. Some of these nicer kayaks are bought buy guys that try them once and decide to stick to the couch. A couple years later they need the garage space.

Do you need to have a sit on top or would you be happy with a sit inside like Chez and cowdawg got. They tend to be less expensive because there is less plastic and they don't tend to put as many gadgets on them. Get a longer one so you'll be comfortable but wide also because you will be using it for fishing more than cruising.

I just took a quick look, there's a 12' Future beach trophy 144 with 2 paddles, flush mount pole holders and a scotty holder and a launch permit that's good until 2018 for $375 in Tamaqua. That's a very good deal. I don't know what make of paddles the guy has but they can get pricy and you can figure they would be $100-$300 unless they are really cheap. They guy has 2 so I'm figuring he got a cheap one and then spent the cash for a better one... I'm guessing.

Thanks SPider! I am not totally ruling out buying something used. But I'm thinking by the time I save up enough money, most of the good deals will be gone. So might need to buy new. $375 IS a great deal. Just a bit out of my price range. (for now)  Worse comes to worse, maybe I'll get thru this season with the canoe/Johnboat and save $$ for next season. I DO prefer the sit On as opposed to sit in.

Thanks for the info guys. Gonna keep the eyes open! I regularly get the gander, dicks, dunhams flyers and will check even more frequently now.

CHEZ2

« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2017, 12:00 PM »
LMBO!!!!!!!!!  ;D  I'm thinking that probably won't ever happen. I offered to meet him any day, any time, any place to pick up my prize(as HE suggested on his site) and he refuses to meet me face to face.  ::) Not surprised though.......................................I figured he wouldn't have the stones for it!  ;)
Get it sent to you Rutnut.
Dont loose out.
You won it.
Im not sure what it was but iys better than nuttin.
Full draw Bob got the shaft.
Poor guy.
Hes getting intouch with sponcers.
I feel bad fir the guy.
You dont get a yak ,,,You know i have 3.
Your welcome to use one of mine.
Be safe.

CHEZ2

« Reply #27 on: Mar 08, 2017, 12:13 PM »
Well, the last time I saw Chez, he was a...............................LEAN, MEAN, FISHING MACHINE!  ;D

Thanks buddy.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #28 on: Mar 08, 2017, 01:23 PM »
After deciding on whether you want a sit -in or a sit-on-top version, and have decided on length (usually based on general weight limits) you can figure on what bells and whistles you will want to add.

Most kayaks are easily transportable, so, as stated earlier, if you can get TO the water you can get ON the water.

I have a SOT that has seen plenty of action, fresh and salt, and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the water world.
One BIG plus is that a kayak (and canoe, as well) can get into places that boats usually can't go!

I love to fish shallow coves off of the main body of water (pond, lake or river) and powerboats cannot navigate those big fish nurseries, but I can.

You will learn to love your kayak, and will look for every opportunity to use it, day AND night!!!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

CHEZ2

« Reply #29 on: Mar 08, 2017, 02:43 PM »
I agree with you 100%.
I find myself leaving my boat home and taking my Yak out.
I luv it.best investment i ever made.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.