FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit out sponsor FishUSA.com

Author Topic: Kayak Bug  (Read 32928 times)

Spider1

Re: Kayak Bug
« Reply #30 on: Mar 09, 2017, 05:33 AM »
yep, I started with a 12' john many years ago. Later I picked up a 15' canoe and used it for a season. Mostly paddled it solo, kinda set up like a kayak. It was great and I had a ton of room but it was hard to manage at times. Sold it and saved a few bucks, I was gonna buy an Eagle Talon. But, the guy sold it out from under me so I looked on craigslist and found the wildy 115 for less than the other guy wanted for his Talon.

Rutt, save your pennies and sell your john boat. Set your goal for $500. When you get there let me know and I can find you a good deal. The thing about buying a used one is you get extra stuff that would drive the cost up. Say you get a kayak for $300 from big box. Then you buy a $100 paddle and a $50 vest and maybe a dry box for your wallet and keys and maybe a rod holder and maybe some other gadgets, and lets not forget taxes. Well, that cheap big box kayak is gonna cost you about the same as what you would spend on a much better kayak with a paddle and vest and other gear that some guy is trying to unload because it got in the way when his wife tried to park the Volvo in the garage.

In my case, I ended up with a $1000 kayak, with a $180 paddle and a $75 vest, a kayak cart and some other toys for $525... I talked him down $25  :evil: ... There are really good deals out there, but you need to have some cash so you can jump when you need to. Sell the John and canoe, save your pennies and use Chez's kayak until a deal comes up. we might have to take a road trip to get it but that's what ya gotta do some times.

One more thing, and it's about the road trip thing... I found just by diggin around that for some reason the prices for fishing kayaks are better in some of our neighboring states than they are here. I saw some great deals for fishing kayaks down in Maryland and a bunch up in NY also. And Long Island! fa-get-about-it! tons of great deals.

RuttNutt

« Reply #31 on: Mar 09, 2017, 06:35 AM »
Get it sent to you Rutnut.
Dont loose out.
You won it.
Im not sure what it was but iys better than nuttin.
Full draw Bob got the shaft.
Poor guy.
Hes getting intouch with sponcers.
I feel bad fir the guy.
You dont get a yak ,,,You know i have 3.
Your welcome to use one of mine.
Be safe.

It's not about the prize, Chez. I was actually gonna post on his site that I was not accepting it. Then I realized I could no longer post on his site(or send PM's).  ::) That's when I changed my mind and decided to accept it face to face. I guess his PM to me months ago that he was "going to do his best to ignore me" was just hot air!  ;) 
And what he did to Bob was just not right! Posting he won a Marcum and then getting on the next day saying "oops, no you didn't- my bad!" WOW!  :o

Well, enough of that @#$%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What were we talking about? Oh yeah, KAYAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D  Checking the Cabela's flyer as we "speak"!

RuttNutt

« Reply #32 on: Mar 09, 2017, 06:43 AM »
yep, I started with a 12' john many years ago. Later I picked up a 15' canoe and used it for a season. Mostly paddled it solo, kinda set up like a kayak. It was great and I had a ton of room but it was hard to manage at times. Sold it and saved a few bucks, I was gonna buy an Eagle Talon. But, the guy sold it out from under me so I looked on craigslist and found the wildy 115 for less than the other guy wanted for his Talon.

Rutt, save your pennies and sell your john boat. Set your goal for $500. When you get there let me know and I can find you a good deal. The thing about buying a used one is you get extra stuff that would drive the cost up. Say you get a kayak for $300 from big box. Then you buy a $100 paddle and a $50 vest and maybe a dry box for your wallet and keys and maybe a rod holder and maybe some other gadgets, and lets not forget taxes. Well, that cheap big box kayak is gonna cost you about the same as what you would spend on a much better kayak with a paddle and vest and other gear that some guy is trying to unload because it got in the way when his wife tried to park the Volvo in the garage.

In my case, I ended up with a $1000 kayak, with a $180 paddle and a $75 vest, a kayak cart and some other toys for $525... I talked him down $25  :evil: ... There are really good deals out there, but you need to have some cash so you can jump when you need to. Sell the John and canoe, save your pennies and use Chez's kayak until a deal comes up. we might have to take a road trip to get it but that's what ya gotta do some times.

One more thing, and it's about the road trip thing... I found just by diggin around that for some reason the prices for fishing kayaks are better in some of our neighboring states than they are here. I saw some great deals for fishing kayaks down in Maryland and a bunch up in NY also. And Long Island! fa-get-about-it! tons of great deals.

Oh Geez- forgot about the paddle! Yeah, I guess you have to buy that separately when you buy new?  I think used is looking better and better!  ;D  WOW! You really got a good deal! All that for $525????

CHEZ2

« Reply #33 on: Mar 09, 2017, 06:43 AM »
Get yourself a YAK BUDDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
The river trip will be much more fun.
Let ROSS BRING HIS FLOAT TUBE :D :D :D

Spider1

« Reply #34 on: Mar 09, 2017, 07:26 AM »
some of the cheap big box kayaks come with a cheap paddle. all that for $188.99. I wouldn't take one out on a pond that was deeper than 3' and I would never even think about it on a big river. I'm no kayak snob, but I do want some quality when I'm putting my life on the line. There are inherent dangers when we go on big water, whether it's a river, a big lake or the ocean... do you really wanna trust that to a wally world bargain basement plastic boat?

When you get the scratch together let me know, I'm good at hunting down deals. But aim for $500 if you want a sit on top fishing platform that will fit you.

chris458wm

« Reply #35 on: Mar 09, 2017, 09:22 AM »
One of my concerns is if it tips over how do you get it right side up and loosing all my gear. 

CowDawg

« Reply #36 on: Mar 09, 2017, 09:23 AM »
Rut.... sell that johnboat and battleship canoe you have!!!

You won't regret it...  You will be able to do more with the yak.

Spider1

« Reply #37 on: Mar 09, 2017, 10:19 AM »
Chris, the #1 rule that I learned when I got my kayak and started rigging it was "rig to flip, dress to swim". Cuz the possibilty is always there that you will do both. Sit inside kayaks can be flipped bak over pretty easily with practice and there are ways to do it when you are inside it, but it is something you need to practice. But once it's righted, you will have water in it. Guys that use these in deep water, surf and what-not often bring a hand bilge pump. A sit on top is easier to right and won't fill with water unless one of the hatches opens. Usually doesn't happen, it can but not to the extent of a sit inside type kayak. Getting back on isn't too hard either. But again, practice is a good thing.

Take your kayak to a shallow swimming area and get wet. Have fun, but don't do it alone... just in case.

that's the swimming part, now the rigging part.

I have a crate in my kayak. it is attached to the kayak so it can't come out if I flip. It has a hinged top that lockes in place with a bungie. my rods fit into rod holders on them and have floats that get attached so if they do go in, they can be recovered. Some guys use leashes. Basically, leash everything you don't wanna lose or take you chances.

rig to flip, dress to swim.

L.A. fisherman

« Reply #38 on: Mar 09, 2017, 10:44 AM »
spider can you show a pic of your setup? I'm looking for ideas on mine. thanks!

RuttNutt

« Reply #39 on: Mar 09, 2017, 11:27 AM »
Rutt, save your pennies and sell your john boat. Set your goal for $500. When you get there let me know and I can find you a good deal.

OK- thanks! Will do!  8)

Spider1

« Reply #40 on: Mar 09, 2017, 11:58 AM »
Unfortunately, I can't. My security settings won't let me do pictures.

L.A. fisherman

« Reply #41 on: Mar 09, 2017, 02:56 PM »
ok thanks,i'll just have to use my imgaion

CHEZ2

« Reply #42 on: Mar 09, 2017, 05:11 PM »
Spider.
Send it to my phone and i will post it.

CHEZ2

« Reply #43 on: Mar 09, 2017, 05:11 PM »
Spider.
Send it to my phone and i will post it.

Blur

« Reply #44 on: Mar 09, 2017, 08:12 PM »
Hey what's all this 247 talk lol. How bout some kayak talk it's better then that waste of space lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.