FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: SALMON RIVER , SALMON AND STEELHEAD THREAD...  (Read 339696 times)

choo choo

Re: SALMON RIVER 2015 SALMON AND STEELHEAD THREAD
« Reply #30 on: Apr 02, 2015, 08:28 PM »
Nice to see the SR thread again Snag.
 Last fall I fished the SR many , many days late September through mid November. I decided I was not going to take pictures of all the released steelhead anymore, only real exceptional fish ,if I landed any.I have enough pictures and have posted enough the last few years. It turned out It was a good thing to do without even knowing why there were  so many dead , dying and weak steelhead along the river. Knowing now why those steelhead died , I will definitely continue a "quick fight" "quick release"  no picture approach, and never  remove the fish from the water again. The amount of mishandling , beaching onto rocks and mud and sand, netting and removing hooks up on the bank, carrying and cradling fish 50 yards upriver so a friend could take a picture{I kid you not}, fish struggling and thumping on the floor of boats photographed then released, hands and fingers in gills while waiting for a picture...well lot's of mishandling going on. With this new more fragile run of steelhead in the rivers, we are going to have to treat them differently....Even a quick removal from the water for a picture might be doing them harm after they just battled for their life. Take pics of the fish you keep. I know this is not going to sit well with many, and I don't expect everyone to follow this approach, but it is what I'm going to continue to do...it is right for me.

Catching and releasing of fish is a great thing, if done right. For more than 1 or 2 or 10 guy's to be able to catch the same fish in it's lifetime is awesome.... a wonderful fish to be enjoyed by many.But the vitamin B issues in some fish will doom even some properly handled fish.T he current regulations and lack of manpower to enforce the regulations, and the mishandling of the fish is a continuing problem. The fly zone regulations and antics are a joke, lot's of fish stressed out and weak because many are being foul hooked and caught repeatedly. The same stuff is going on in the main river too..... as is the blatant targeting and snagging of steelhead by many salmon fisherman .... it is heartbreaking at times. If there are low numbers of salmon in the river, the steelhead will be targeted, snagged and put on stringers, especially during low water flows. I wish steelhead could be better protected from the salmon fisherman...maybe entire river no-kill of steelhead until after mid or late October when the salmon crowds thin out. Just some thoughts, sorry for the rant.
I'm fishing my way through life .

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #31 on: Apr 02, 2015, 08:42 PM »
choo choo I do think good fisherman will always  do  their best  to protect a  fishery , I also understand  the excitement in people  catching  what probably is  the biggest fish of their life  .... and  truth the salmon fisherman are the only reason we have  the steelhead to begin with .... like deer  ,lot of winter kill this year ,and very little  anyone can do about it  the fish been there a bad winter and are stressed ,so are the fisherman .....I know I  disagree  with the "native steelhead population thing"  I honestly feel that this shows our  fishery will always  depend on stocking ,always has always will
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

dimebrite

« Reply #32 on: Apr 03, 2015, 06:05 AM »
Choo choo, very nice to hear your passionate input. I'm not sure no kill on steelhead would solve the early run steelhead because nothing will stop the cannon balls from bouncing and ripping at them when they become present. It really comes down to one's intent and law enforcement. I've often thought that a snagging season brought back would help. Sep. 15th to maybe Oct. 7th or 15th.  It could possibly fullfill most of the snatcber's bellies in terms of hording and snagging salmon. And then anytime there after heavy fines would come along with any noticeable intent to snag.  Coupled with special regs for certain areas in certain times of the year could make big things happen. But I'm not in environmental law enforcement and I'm far from a PhD :)

Trapper: you're spot on.. A "good" fisherman should and will protect and respect its fish and habitat... These days there seems to be more bad than good though.

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #33 on: Apr 03, 2015, 02:58 PM »

Be careful what you wish for?  no fishin in winter?  winter steelhead is why we all moved here....that's no solution, when theres less fish less guys will show up, it will work it self out, I don't fly fish, but as long as theres a fly zone, shoot if I was a fly fisherman I'd be right there with them having fun.

Runoff is ramping up in all the cricks and off Tug hill, River should be headed up, ending the fly zone's low water hookupfest run, probably won't be this low again til May.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

neilc

« Reply #34 on: Apr 03, 2015, 07:33 PM »
good to see you made it off that silly pond ice down there in oneida

dimebrite

« Reply #35 on: Apr 04, 2015, 06:04 AM »
Shane I'm with ya on less fish less guys. Seen it happen in the past. Not saying total closure of refuge areas, but something maybe??? Anything to stop the unethical practices. I have no solution myself. Just tired of seeing guys elbow to elbow "saying" their fly fishing for "elusive" steelhead while most of their fish are getting reeled in backwards.  OK I got it out...enough of my rants...lol!!!

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #36 on: Apr 04, 2015, 01:26 PM »

Every creek and rivers flooding but Brookfield power is sleeping again, forgot about the redfield reservoir again, rivers still at 350cfs even though Reservoir has gained 6 feet in 36 hours.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

trapper2000

« Reply #37 on: Apr 04, 2015, 03:57 PM »
snag that's  crazy  they have everything wide open on the Oswego river ....  yesterday I fished fulton and phoenix  water was  pretty clean and  normal  today its a foot from the  bulk heads and chocolate brown.... I knew it was coming but it came  fast .....

Clint S

« Reply #38 on: Apr 05, 2015, 09:09 AM »

Every creek and rivers flooding but Brookfield power is sleeping again, forgot about the redfield reservoir again, rivers still at 350cfs even though Reservoir has gained 6 feet in 36 hours.

They finally upped the river to 1250 and it's about 1700  in Pineville.  Brookfield better get there thumb out of their holes and do this right. My dad worked for Nino 40 years and back in the day it was a drive up to the hill at least every other day to check snow pack and ground saturation.........

It disgusts me how the people in the zones treat the fish. Saw a guy rip one off a bed the other day and whoop and holler about hot ''hot'' the fishing was. The DEC could pass one law to stop some of this mishandling up there.  No pictures in the zones and the fish does not leave the water if at all possible. If they catch you license is gone for one year and a hefty fine

trapper2000

« Reply #39 on: Apr 05, 2015, 10:16 AM »
we need no more laws, I see more fisherman abused bye the dec in Oswego then I see fish misused .....

paul young

« Reply #40 on: Apr 05, 2015, 02:44 PM »
I fished the Lower fly zone on 3/31. I had a great day, landing 8 nice steelhead. Six males and 2 females, which makes sense; most of the girls are busy right now, and not feeding. All 8 were caught in the roof of the mouth or in the corner of the jaw. The smallest fly I used was a size 10 stonefly and I was fishing with 5 lb Drennan. The fights were short and the fish never left the water except for 1 nice male I wanted a picture of.

No one was fishing above me ( physical impossibility) and the upper fly zone was closed. I had 3 swirlers hit me in the legs as they struggled to survive. I doubt these fish had been caught that day.

Guys, these fish are just dying. It's no one's fault.

Fish are mishandled the entire length of the river, not just in the fly zones. Fish are lined the entire length of the river, not just in the fly zones. AND, SADLY, fish are SNAGGED the entire length of the river, not just in the fly zones.

If you see someone mishandling fish, or fishing in an unethical manner, try to show them how to do it properly in a friendly way. If they continue after that, use the tip line.

Too much hate in this thread. Lighten up.....-Paul

kowboy

« Reply #41 on: Apr 05, 2015, 05:40 PM »
Happy Easter everyone, Choo now its time to get your river on lol and Deadeyez BINGO is in the future

monic20

« Reply #42 on: Apr 05, 2015, 06:40 PM »
 boom! :w00t: :w00t:

snyder3500

« Reply #43 on: Apr 05, 2015, 07:44 PM »
Never fished the SR. Where should one start?

monic20

« Reply #44 on: Apr 05, 2015, 08:43 PM »
Flyzones  :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.