FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: My Best "Tackle"  (Read 5604 times)

FishCrazy14

My Best "Tackle"
« on: Mar 21, 2004, 05:19 PM »
     I was fishing off the dock at a small lake nearby for bluegill, perch, crappie and whatever else would bite that day. I was catching little gills left and write just casting right next to some weeds. I cast once and out of nowhere my bobber just shot down. I set the hook and I realized this was no bluegill. It's tail hit the top of the water and it started splashing everywhere in only a few feet of water. I reeled it in and it was a whopper. I had no idea what it was...it was one of the ugliest fish I had ever seen. I got it by the dok but realized I had no net. So I reached down to pick it up and it slipped out of my hands time after time. The back of the dock only had about an inch of water behind it so I dragged it up there and the fish just layed there so I tried to figure out what to do when it started flopping back towards the deeper water. I gave the line a tug and it snapped! I wasn't about to let this fish get away so I jumped in there shoes and all and grabbed at it but after it slipped again I jumped on it and wrapped up nicely as I made a very fine tackle. I threw it on the dock and got it into a cooler full of water. IT started sucking air and it scared the crap out of me. I thought it was maybe a pike or something but I soon learned it was a hideous dogfish...a relative of the carp and not something I cared to eat. So after all that, I let him go back into the water.

broken rod

• CPR
Re: My Best "Tackle"
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2004, 08:50 PM »
i caught my first one of those last year on the wisconsin river that is one ugly looking fish ;D
tight lines, chuck

livin4ice

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2004, 08:52 AM »
When I was a kid we use to camp at a lake up north.  The owner of the camground would give us two dollars for every dog fish we brought him.  We would catch small bluegill during the day and use them for bait in the evening.  Those dogfish are good fighters though.

broken rod

• CPR
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2004, 10:33 AM »
did he eat those dog fish :o
tight lines, chuck

reubenpa

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2004, 08:07 PM »
Are dogfish another name for a bowfin?  I caught one about 10 years agi and didnt' know what it was, so I took it home and ate it... well I ate about a half a mouthful, the rest came flying back out and the rest went to the woods.   MUSHY SLOP!!
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

livin4ice

« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2004, 07:19 AM »
No, he put them in the dumpster.

fishboy899

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2004, 06:31 PM »
I have done some things to get fish in but never jumped in after them. :)
A 17 yr. old that is addicted already.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.