FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Close Call  (Read 4695 times)

Little Brown Dog

Close Call
« on: Jun 12, 2006, 10:17 AM »
Almost got taken out yesterday while doing some trolling for trout.  Guy in a bowrider had four young girls standing in the front waving to everyone as they passed.  I watched him get closer, thinking that he was going to pass close down the port side.  He then turns right at me and comes full speed.  I couldn't see the driver because the girls were standing right in his view, and they were just laughing and waving.  I knew I had to do something quick or he was going to hit me.  I gave it full throttle and just got out of the way, yelling as he went by.   Next thing I hear is the sound of my trolling rods emptying line.  I keep yelling STOP STOP STOP!!!   SNAP!!!  there goes the lead core...spooled.  He finally stops and unhooks the other line from his bow and takes off.

Son of a...

I was upset, he didn't even stop...  I reeled in the line, frayed pretty bad, put the rods away and watched the guy keep cruising around the lake.  He started back up the other side, so I decided that I needed to have a chat with him.  I motored over to where he was headded and cut him off.  I flagged him down and he came over.  I really had to bite my toung and not swear in front of the little girls.

I asked if he know that the law states you have to remain at least 200 feet from other boats.  I then told him how luckey he was that I got out of the way.  He could have killed me and the four girls that were standing in the front of the boat.  He said he'd been boating on that lake for 20 years and never had a problem...  OK, So What, you just about killed me!!!  I told him he could have stopped so I could get the rest of my gear off of his boat.  He says there is no line on the boat.  I told him to raise his lower unit and we'll just see.  Sure enough, there was my lead core, trashed,  still dragging behind.  No leader or lure.

He then offered to pay for the gear that I lost, I think the people in his boat were paying guests and he wanted to get out of there.

I'm now waiting for the check, but I also know who he is and where he lives incase the money dosen't arrive.

It wasn't until after that I realized how close it was.  One of my lines got caught on his bow, meaning that he went between where the line leaves the rod to where it goes in the water.   Dam that was close.

carpcatcher

Re: Close Call
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2006, 10:32 AM »
Dang, that would be enough to give you little brown spots in your short's.  :o Glad you weren't hurt and don't hold your breath for the money.
           Jim
Love 2 fish

Slimechaser

• A sconni lawn ornament.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2006, 10:34 AM »
Thank God you had a cool enough head to get out of the way!!
20 years and no problems my arse!
He's darn lucky that lead core didn't go OVER the bow, that would have been very ugly indeed!
Then he could have put that "20 years" on his head stone!
Again Thank God YOU know what your doing!
Rockbass - not just another pretty fish!
Got nymph?         I do!

OTIS

« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2006, 10:39 AM »
Should have got his numbers and called the police.  Don't take this kind of crap from these mentally challenged individuals.  The more you let them get away with the more problem's you will have in the future.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

buzzbomb

« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2006, 10:41 AM »
Glad you weren't hurt and don't hold your breath for the money.
           Jim
If he doesn't pay just post his name and address on the forum and maybe he'll change his mind.  You never know......

walleye1

« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2006, 10:49 AM »
Glad you're ok LBD. That sounds freakin hairy!

Little Brown Dog

« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2006, 10:53 AM »
As it happened it wasn't scary, because it went slo-motion, but thinking about how close it was it what gets me.

I have friends with badges and sidearms, so I can always bring them for a visit if the money dosen't show by tomorrow.

Pikeguy

« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2006, 10:55 AM »
Jebus some people are stupid!  >:(

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2006, 11:05 AM »
I hope you took pictures of your damaged equipment. If no money arrives then prosecute.

Bartman44

« Reply #9 on: Jun 12, 2006, 11:37 AM »
Glad you're OK.  Unfortunately, there are many people that don't have a clue about boating and you have to constanty keep your guard up for them, especially during tourist season.  It can even happen in the off-season too.  My friend was run over in almost the same type of circumstance to yours in October one year where they guy's vision was blocked because the boat bow was riding high. My friend's boat was anchored and the other guy kept bearing down on him as he was run over in disbelief. My friend was chopped up by the prop and took 51 stiches to his leg. He was wearing a vest, otherwise he'd probably have died.

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
« Reply #10 on: Jun 12, 2006, 11:58 AM »
Good thing he only ruined your lines and lures.

I got hit by a sailboat in broad daylight while I was anchored.  The dip$hit in the sailboat said he has the right of way because he wasn't powered.   So I guess I'm supposed to hurry up and pull my anchor and get out of his way.

thats like hitting a parked car and saying the car should have moved because you have the right of way.
I now carry a flare gun for this sort of thing.  They get too close and they are getting a flare to the head.
care for a warm up?

Official authority on the Kraken

The "Habitual Offender" of the MIRC - I need a clear glass plate

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
« Reply #11 on: Jun 12, 2006, 02:26 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, and I remember my safe-boating course correctly, a fishing boat with lines out actually has the right of way.  Even over a sailboat!

I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Mac

either way I think the anchored craft isn't supposed to be hit by a moving craft.  Just like hitting a parked car.
Some people are just dumb as rocks.

I'll look into that one.  You are probably right.  Regardless of what type of boat you are or if you are moving or not there is a set distance you have to stay away from other boats.    Maybe our useless Marine Patrol should go out on the water a little more and enforce the law.
Get their fat a$$es out of the donut shop.
care for a warm up?

Official authority on the Kraken

The "Habitual Offender" of the MIRC - I need a clear glass plate

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #12 on: Jun 12, 2006, 02:36 PM »
Glad you are ok. Those are some scary times, and I have seen this sort of thing happen way to often.

So in other words a container ship that is anchored in harbor waiting to offload has to pull up anchor and move if a sailboat comes his way? Don't think so.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

ol crawdad

• ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jun 12, 2006, 02:46 PM »
geez dude, glad you are ok!  personally, I would get his check, then go see the local authorities.  even if they don't prosecute for reckless driving, they can maybe make the fool understand reckless boat handling will not be tolerated...
Oh Lord - there he is, it feels like a big one, please don\'t let me lose him, I\'ve never caught one this big before.  I\'ll try not to horse him, and if I land him, I promise to release him, and make a graphite replica, if my wife says it\'s ok.  Thank you for the Rapalas...

dachmation

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Jun 12, 2006, 02:46 PM »
I believe that states"When both are underway"
""TIGHT LINES"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.