FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: power bait  (Read 7961 times)

Jigwiggler

Re: power bait
« Reply #15 on: Apr 16, 2004, 01:31 PM »
I have never fished the paste or nuggets.  I do fish the Berkely power bait grubs, tubes, worms and others with VERY good results on most species.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #16 on: Apr 16, 2004, 02:13 PM »
Here's an interesting thing that I found on a google search.  Could be a hot ticket especially for bigger trout.  Powerbait molded around hooks in the shape of a lure...hmmm...great idea.  Anyone try it?

It's not English, not sure what the language is...I couldn't find a way to convert it, maybe someone here knows how?  Anyway, the picture is worth a thousand words anyway.

Here's the link:  http://www.salar.dk/powerbait.html

Sluggo

« Reply #17 on: Apr 16, 2004, 03:13 PM »
I've had great luck with Power Bait.  A Florida rig 10" worm has always produced bass for me.  Unfortunatly they got rid of my favorite which was the 6" Power Slug.  Those things were my go to bait for a few years.
GET IT ON!

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #18 on: Apr 16, 2004, 10:41 PM »
I have seen the power bait paste work very well on stocked trout. I have two colors, yelow/orange and the second chartruse. Have not had a time where it knocked them dead for me yet. The main problem, aside from gummy fingers received from forming the paste around a hook, is keeping the paste on the hook. Was thinking of tying a fuzzy body on a hook that could be rolled in the paste, to both hold the paste material and eliminate putty fingers.

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #19 on: Apr 17, 2004, 08:12 AM »
Sandman, I've got a tip for ya that will allow you to get better action on those stiff tail grubs (any kind) so that you don't waste your money.  Take you clippers and make 3 or 4 small slits in the inside curve of the tail (depends on the length of the grub).  This "loosens" the tail giving it more action.  It seems to draw more strikes too.  The only problem is that sometimes the tails are bitten off or pulled off by fish a bit easier.  But, it's better to use them than let them gather dust in your tackle box.

Cider

« Reply #20 on: Apr 17, 2004, 10:26 AM »
reelcharacter - I had trouble keeping it on the hook too.  Switch to a treble and really mash it on the hook and you should be fine.  The other thing is that you have to get your bait out there in the "ideal" spot and leave it alone.  The more you fuss with it and continuously cast it, the power bait gets soft and water logged and comes right off.  That may not be a bad thing if you use it on a jig or lure though because some of the scent will stay behind...

Jigwiggler

« Reply #21 on: Apr 17, 2004, 10:47 AM »
I wonder how that stuff would work for channel cats?  It sounds similar to some of the commercial dip/paste baits available today.  Anyone ever try it for cats or carp?

peple of the perch

« Reply #22 on: Apr 17, 2004, 08:01 PM »
what about jigging the small 1 inch tubes for ice fishing

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #23 on: Apr 18, 2004, 10:32 PM »
Cider,

Before I purchased my two jars of the paste, that is kinda what the person I was with used to catch the stocked trout. He used a tiny gold hook and balled the paste completely around the hook, cast it to the bottom and left it there. Every "hit" was a swallower, reqiuring a cut line and re-hook with each trout caught.

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #24 on: Apr 18, 2004, 11:14 PM »
POTP, I'd bet that they would work well.  I've used the Bass Pro Shops squirmin squirts (1 1/2" tubes) with good success through the ice.  Why not the Power ones?  Also, I've caught many a fish on the Power Wigglers through the ice.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #25 on: Apr 18, 2004, 11:28 PM »
Here's an interesting thing that I found on a google search.  Could be a hot ticket especially for bigger trout.  Powerbait molded around hooks in the shape of a lure...hmmm...great idea.  Anyone try it?

It's not English, not sure what the language is...I couldn't find a way to convert it, maybe someone here knows how?  Anyway, the picture is worth a thousand words anyway.

Here's the link:  http://www.salar.dk/powerbait.html

I almost gaurantee that this wouldn't work as powerbait has a mind of its own. The excess bait would fly off leaving you where you started, except you had a pretty peace of artwork that nobody saw.

Powerbait is the best bait for stocked trout, and even wild ones will eat it once in a while, but, overall, you don't want to use powerbait unless it is stocked trout.

worms are your best bet for wild trout.

Also, for like the power bait tube jigs, I have found these to be ineffective compared to others for bass and walleye. I think this may be just because the lure isn't constructed like some of my favorites, like zoom super flukes or senkos. The power bait rubber crawfish has never worked for me at all, and I have given it a solid, fair try when other things were catching fish. Stick to conventionals.

Overall, the berkley company has cheated us all with all of their powerbait products, except they do catch stocker trout quite well, and some people like to carry it in an emergency, even though I don't because I don't fish for stocked trout.

buzzbomb

« Reply #26 on: Apr 19, 2004, 07:19 AM »
.  Anyone ever try it for cats or carp? Yes, but with no success.  We took a poll on another site and it came out about 0 for 10.  The trout stuff was good for stockers, but I haven't tried it on native trout.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #27 on: Apr 19, 2004, 10:51 AM »
Also, for like the power bait tube jigs, I have found these to be ineffective compared to others for bass and walleye. I think this may be just because the lure isn't constructed like some of my favorites, like zoom super flukes or senkos. The power bait rubber crawfish has never worked for me at all, and I have given it a solid, fair try when other things were catching fish. Stick to conventionals.

TFB - You may want to give these another shot before writing them off.  I have had several 200+ bass days and many 100+ days, musky, pike, walleye  and my biggest brown trout to date all fishing Berkely power tubes and craws.  I would be willing to bet it's your presentation rather than the lure.  Mix it up a little and you might be suprised.  If you still don't care for them you can send all of your extras to me, send me a PM for my mailing address.   ;) ;D

peple of the perch

« Reply #28 on: Apr 19, 2004, 03:19 PM »
 id only say that they r good for stocked trout. and nothing else.   how did they become so popular then if no one likes them that much

peple of the perch

« Reply #29 on: Apr 21, 2004, 06:39 PM »
 i think that power bait scent comes off on the 10nth cast on their tubes because after i use hem they smell lke rubber

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.