FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ice or open water fishing???  (Read 6618 times)

fishman88

ice or open water fishing???
« on: Apr 15, 2004, 07:02 AM »
wat do u like better ice or open water fishing???

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
Re: ice or open water fishing???
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2004, 07:10 AM »
I like open water fishing; more variety in what, when and how to fish. The hard water pursuit is a very close second, it gets me outside during our depressing, cloudy winters here in Central NY.

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

water_wolf

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2004, 08:10 AM »
I actually prefer ice fishing.  Must be the cold crisp air or something...the sound of an auger at sunrise...LOL  :P

wyogator

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2004, 08:46 AM »
I like open water...more variety. I do start to look forward to the hardwater season around late fall, but I'm just as happy, when it ends in March, to break out the fly rods and waders.

Mugz

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2004, 08:47 AM »
I must say I like Ice fishing better (Freshwater), but prefer to fish the surf and saltwater during the summer.
Better chance for bigger and more quality fish, plus, it's a little more challenging. Don't get me wrong I fish my share of open water freshwater as well............I feel for you guys who live in the middle of the US and Canada who don't get the chance to fish the salt.............it's a whole vast other world.

wyogator

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2004, 08:57 AM »
Saltwater rules Mugz! I miss it already.

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #6 on: Apr 15, 2004, 09:01 AM »
I love open water as well as ice fishing but spring and fall stripers on light tackle in the back bays of NJ is by far my favorite.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2004, 09:21 AM »
I LOVE FISHING PERIOD! ;D

Mugz

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Apr 15, 2004, 09:37 AM »
Amen..........fishing, golf, horseshoes, pool, darts.................all the drinking sports. Ahhh........ Relaxation.

TGF

• MFF Mod Team
  • I still got my eye on you guys...
« Reply #9 on: Apr 15, 2004, 10:51 AM »
Ice fishing way more. I move around so much that I don't get a sore butt like summer fishing. There is less closures in winter so I get more of a variety of fish. I can pinpoint a hot spot and don't have to worry about the wind drifting me to fast past. Ice fishing is also where I go usually very quiet and peaceful. Sure you get the odd snowmobiler but very few. In summer the lake is fished more and also some flipping noisy sea-dooer buzzing around. Hate those things cause I have not mastered leading them with my 7mm Rem Magnum at 150 yards going 65 miles an hour ???

Polar

« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2004, 11:17 AM »
I like to do them both.I just like to fish, weather has never been a factor.

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #11 on: Apr 15, 2004, 11:24 AM »
I'd have to say open water. I think peoples preference really depends on if you have a boat or not. I'm sure it can get really boring fishing from shore after a while. Having ice you could move all you want on a lake. I do have a boat hence the reason I like the open water better. You have way more variety on what you are going to use to catch fish. I like the warm weather as aposed to the cold weather. Summer to me in general is just so much nicer than winter. Don't get me wrong, I to get that urge to ice fish in the fall also but boy do I sure like it when all the snow is gone.

"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #12 on: Apr 15, 2004, 01:41 PM »
I like them both equally. But I already miss ice fishing and it just ended here.

Tyler

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #13 on: Apr 15, 2004, 02:21 PM »
i prefer ice fishing as lake access and parking are muchj less of a problem
Scotty 

fishboy899

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Apr 15, 2004, 03:26 PM »
I like both of them equally.  Both have things that are great about them. :)
A 17 yr. old that is addicted already.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.