FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: CORMORANTS  (Read 6311 times)

WOLF1964

CORMORANTS
« on: Mar 29, 2006, 02:03 PM »
SO HOWS THE CORMORANTS AROUND THE WORLD DOING? THEY HAVE GROUPS GOING AROUND HERE KEEPING THE CONTROL ON THEM. SEEMS TO BE 2 PEOPEL PER BOAT. ONE DRIVER AND ONE SHOOTER. THOSES BIRDS CAN REALLY MESS UP A GOOD FISHING LAKE. ITS ABOUT TIME WE STARTED TO CONTROL THEM.

GLEN..

NORTHERN MICHIGAN HERE. ALPENA AREA

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
Re: CORMORANTS
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2006, 02:07 PM »
around here in michigan, we have a big problem with them. we just take their eggs

Fishing is life

MIRC!

OTIS

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2006, 02:38 PM »
There not regulated nearly as much as they should be here in central New York.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

eyedoktr

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2006, 03:29 PM »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Pete Lewis

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2006, 03:31 PM »
i would love the chance to shoot some of those dirty birds but their protected in N.Y
OR      [IMG]

OTIS

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2006, 07:57 PM »
I thought that was duck hunting!?!?    ;)
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2006, 08:02 PM »
I wish these birds were on the endangered species list or extinct.  Here on Irondequoit Bay (Rochester NY), the population has exploded the past five years.  They are killing off trees all over the South end of the bay. 

chowder_head

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2006, 11:31 PM »
I"m not real sure of the regulations on them here in ontario but they are a real pain in the nads..check out this pic from last summer on rice lake

SYMPTOMS: continual complaints as to need for fresh air, sunshine and relaxation. Patient has blank expressions,sometimes deaf to wife and kids,frequent checking of tackle catalogs. Hangs out in sporting goods stores longer than usual.Secret night phone calls to fishing pals. Mumbles to self. Lies to everyone..NO KNOWN CURE!!

WOLF1964

« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2006, 06:31 AM »
SLIPBOB

THEY WILL EAT ALL THE BAIT FISH IN A LAKE AND THEN YOUR PERCH AND WALLY'S WILL NOT HAVE ANY FOOD. PLUS THE WILL IT THE YOUNG PERCH AND WALLY'S.....    THEY NEED TO BE GONE.

flockshot

• the official "shirt" of MIRC
« Reply #9 on: Mar 30, 2006, 08:30 AM »
i would love the chance to shoot some of those dirty birds but their protected in N.Y
they're federaly protected everywhere...but there out of control....we were surf fishing for browns in lake michigan last year...and a flock so large flew over..that we had to duck for cover from all the poop falling...my green hat was white by the end of the day.
team MI!!! MIRC CHAPTER MEMBER
"Rockbass are great..but the meats a little soft."

BIGTWINK

« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2006, 12:17 PM »
NOT SURE HOW FEDERALLY THERE PROTECTED IF WERE ALLOWED TO SHOOT THEM OFF HERE ??? THIS IS A QUOTE FROM OUR NEWS LETTER WE RECEIVE "THESE WILL BE SHORT MEETINGS, BUT WILL ACCOMPLISH A LOT TOWARD MAINTAINING THE BALANCE BETWEEN CORMORANTS AND FISH IN THE LAKES. VERY VERY IMPORTANT TO ATTEND. THE PURPOSE OF THESE MEETING IS TO SIGN UP PEOPLE WITH BOATS AND TIME, TO GO OUT IN THE WATER AS SOON AS THE ICE MELTS, TO DO CORMORANTS CONTROL. THERE WILL TYPICALLY BE TWO PEOPLE TO A BOAT, A DRIVER AND A SHOOTER. THE PROGRAM LASTS ABOUT A MONTH, BUT THE EFFECTS LAST ALL YEAR. WE NEED TO GET THESE BIRDS OFF THE SPAWNING BEDS, AND REALLY, OFF THE LAKES. WE NEED YOUR HELP, THE MORE THE BETTER BECAUSE  THE MORE WE HAVE, THE LESS EACH PERSON HAS TO SACRIFICE THEIR TIME." SO I'M NOT SURE IF IT'S JUST SOMETHING WE'RE DOING OR WHAT..BUT IT WORKED LAST YEAR PREETY GOOD.

proud member of the M.I.R.C

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2006, 12:27 PM »
sweet count me in when do I get to shoot cormorants? 
care for a warm up?

Official authority on the Kraken

The "Habitual Offender" of the MIRC - I need a clear glass plate

OTIS

« Reply #12 on: Mar 30, 2006, 01:02 PM »
That sounds like a blast, heck I'd pay to do that!  Shoot a couple extra for us, because we're not allowed to give them a dirty look.

bluefinforme

« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2006, 01:28 PM »
I hooked into one last year while shad fishing......it was a pretty good battle.......they are protected in Maine ::)    a big pain in the asss if you ask me

sst4life

« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2006, 01:42 PM »
In Washington they are bad.  In trout stocked lakes it is like they know when the trucks arrive I have seen them fly onto the lake and eat so much fish that they couldnt fly.  Also they eat alot of Steelhead and Salmon smolts in the rivers.  I say kill them all.
I play with my rod TWO HANDED !!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.