FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 559387 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #3945 on: Mar 30, 2024, 08:49 PM »
62 &done, take traps advise, a pheasant tail nymph and the Adams is all you need, my favorites as well. BUT I have boxes of flies that I love to look at but seldom use  except the tricos, a mickey finn and a blk. woolly bugger. Plus I decided to just fly fish in retirement and not tie  flies. Winter time , I ice fish!

i kinda like a weighted muddler minnow too
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #3946 on: Apr 05, 2024, 11:13 PM »
Tying up some leaches for the season.  March brown too. G

62 & Done

« Reply #3947 on: Apr 15, 2024, 09:19 AM »
Got a little break in the weather yesterday so I went out for a bit of experimentation. I wanted to see if I could cast a fly while sitting in the canoe. With just the 7' rod, I found if I was satisfied with a short cast (30-35') I could do fairly well. If I tried to reach the other side of the pond it was quite the disaster. Didn't catch much but I was more interested in fishing than catching. I just threw the same fly all afternoon till the rain rolled in again.
  Next, I want to start using more different flies since I have accumulated a nice little variety and I have been complacent with just using a select few. Any suggestions for springtime gills and/or crappie would be appreciated. I miss my ice fishing, but I'm ready to start swinging a fly between bullhead nites.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3948 on: Apr 15, 2024, 11:29 AM »
Early stone flies have been all over.  I think the crappies/gills would slurp them up.

62 & Done

« Reply #3949 on: Apr 15, 2024, 03:10 PM »
got a bunch of them  gold, brown, black  thanks Iowa

lowaccord66

« Reply #3950 on: Today at 12:34 PM »
Your question caused me to go do some testing last night.  The gills and a single crappie preferred a #8 pats rubber legs without a bead. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.