FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Webber Charcol BBQ  (Read 2519 times)

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
Webber Charcol BBQ
« on: May 03, 2006, 03:13 PM »
I have started the hunt for a charcol BBQ, so I always start at the top and in my book you cant really go wrong with Webber.....the question I have is this

what do I need to look for in a Charcol grill? from the outside there does not seem to be a ton of features so why are some way more expensive then others?

I was also look for a big cooking surface and there only appears to be 3 sizes, 2 are vary similar and the third (the Rancho?) is much bigger but also 4x the price..

Any advice for a seasoned pro on gas, but a complete rookie on charcol

Hood

Re: Webber Charcol BBQ
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 03:26 PM »
AHH, I am seasoned on coal and hardly ever used gas! The webers vary in price because some have fancy ash catchers and releases. The ashes will eventually collect in the bottom and can be spooned out, or in the pricy models ya swipe the little handle back and forth and it falls into the pan below. The cleaner your bottom is the better your coals will be and your cooking will follow. If theres too much ash to allow air through the bottom vents then it needs a cleaning. You can adjust your temp by messing with their "openness".  Some have a temp guage and stuff and optional rotisserie attachements. We have always had a standard webber and never any problems with it so long as its kept clean. One major piece of advice in regards to grills is to get one with hinged sides that flip up.  It makes it real easy to grab somethin that falls through and also aids in adding items in foil to the coals if you want to cook that way too, especially baked taters and corn....  Welcome to charred burger heaven, Ill be happy to answer any other questions ya got ;D
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 03:39 PM »
Her's a link the Grandaddy of all charcoal grills.
http://www.bbqgalore.com/store/item.bbq?invky=5824202

It's got all the features that professional chefs (and I am one) search out.  Enamaled cast iron grates, full width ash drawer, temp guage, and most of all, a massive cooking area.  Webers and other kettles tremble at the mere mention of it's name.  Properly cared for, it will produce outstanding results for decades to come.

All that being said, it's not for everybody.  It's heavy and expensive and goes through a lot of charcoal.  I'm not saying that it's for everybody.  I just thought I'd introduce you to the king of the hill.  If you have a small family, seldom host parties, or are short on space and cash (who isn't) than I'd go with something else.  If I were buying a new kettle style grill, I'd check around and see where I can get the cast iron grates.  They are wonderful!

I also never use briquettes or starter fluid.  Only real chunk charcoal -- Fireking is my personal favorite -- and a starter chimney.  All this lends itself to a much hotter and cleaner fire.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

Hood

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 03:42 PM »
yes...the starter chimney, thats another key, we have absolved from fluid for a few years now and it also gets ya cookin faster....rhino...that grill is insane, i want one ;D
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 03:45 PM »
Thats is a beauty grill...Money is not a real issue...or should i say is not a deciding factor in the final purchase.

If money was completly a non issue then here is my dream machine, i know a guy who purchased one for these a few seasons ago and they are incredible.

http://homepage.mac.com/komodokamado/PhotoAlbum1.html

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 03:59 PM »
Thats is a beauty grill...here is my dream machine, i know a guy who purchased one for these a few seasons ago and they are incredible.

http://homepage.mac.com/komodokamado/PhotoAlbum1.html

Sweet, Junky.  You are a man of fine taste.  I've been a fan of the Komando's for a while.  I've only ever had the chance to use one, but it was a dream, as well.  The Big Green Egg grills are a little better known, at least around me, but I enjoyed the Komando just fine.  These grill lend themselves perfectly to slower roasting and BBQing.  My needs are more often in the arena of traditional grilling not BBQing.  Fast and Hot vs. Long and Slow.  Is there a dirty joke there??  My only issue was the somewhat limited grilling surface on the egg shaped grills.  To each his own.  And certainly think of your own needs and preferences before you make a decision.  Happy grilling.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.