FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: treestand thieves  (Read 2641 times)

FarginIcehole

treestand thieves
« on: Oct 10, 2006, 05:30 PM »
well last week i scouted and put up 4 portable treestands on some private property i have been hunting on for 4 years.chained and padlocked. yesterday i got a call from a land owner with a better piece of property that i have been trying to get on for 10 years, he finally gave in and gave ne permission. well this morning i went out to retrieve the stands i put up and lo and behold they were all gone. 4 stands padlocks ,chains, screw in steps, the whole shebang.$500.00 worth of stands gone. these guys must carry boltcutters and hammers and crowbars with em.needless to say i am a little bit mad, but even more disappointed i will miss the opening weekend. disposable income is just not there to go out and buy even 1 or 2 stands.i am sure you have all had stands stolen,but i bet you never had 4 of em swiped at once. any new yorkers want to rent a portable to me??? just kiddin, somehow some way i will find a way to be 18 feet hight come this weekend.Fargin

Corporal Punishment

Re: treestand thieves
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2006, 08:01 PM »
I seen a tv show before that had the camera rolling when they ended up at there stands,the stands were gone.They said it could be Anti hunters doing it also.. :-\

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2006, 07:33 AM »
Despite heavily posting our farm, we still get tresspassers who have vandalized our equipment. Sorry to hear about your tree stands. If you have a Dick's sporting goods near you they have tree stands on sale right now for $29.99 on up. Good luck with the season.

FarginIcehole

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2006, 08:11 AM »
i think dicks has the gorilla, bottom of the line hang ons, thanks roy.$29.00 and a good safety vest should keep my big ass on that 12 x 12 platform. thanks   Fargin

Pikeguy

« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2006, 08:20 AM »
Sorry to hear that fargin. That's a real low blow  :'(
Good luck figuring something out. If we were closer I'd definitely loan you mine  :-\

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2006, 10:05 AM »
Wow fargin, I'm really sorry to hear that.  :-\ Unfortunately I've had the same thing happen.  While I never actually caught the guy doing it, I know it was a forester who was marking trees on the adjoining property.  How do I know this?  There were trees that were on OUR property that were marked, our posted signs were torn down and his spray cans were thrown over the boundary.  :cursing: I wish you the best of luck in getting back and/or replacing your stands. 

-Zach

HOOKEMNCOOKEM

« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2006, 10:16 AM »
I would be mad as h#ll too, sorry to hear that. That's 1/2 the reason I use climbers. The other 1/2 reason is the GOOD BUCKS make lok-ons guick. They're way to slick for them, unless you get lucky and catch a roamer in rut. I made that mistake for years, we would go put up stands and the good bucks would say bye bye. I think ifishhi can help you get 18ft high though. ::)
I didn't come here to stay home.

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2006, 10:28 AM »
I've gone the way of the climber too....bought a new Summit Bullet backpacker over the summer...my dad has one and I love it...so light (especially next to the Viper I used last year!) and it folds flat.  Definitely a worthwhile investment!

-Zach

Damanski

« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2008, 03:34 PM »
Maybe the other landowner who called you and asked you to hunt his property needed a few new stands to.

luckyduck22

• Get em
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:08 PM »
happened to my dad and i last year. went out scouting a few weeks before bow season and was walkin up to our stand and we couldnt find it anywere. i walked up to the tree we thought it was in and there lay on the ground was the chain,lock and a few pieces of the stand.now when we go there we bring climbers and usually leave on portable up and take out the bottom 3 foot pegs and leave them in our truck. very disappointing when it happends to you....sorry to hear it happend to another hunter. good luck on getting some new equipment

north54

« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2008, 09:50 PM »
My buddy was in his stand one morning situated fairly close to this old logging road when along comes a truck full of guys, they see him, get out and start shooting there rifles in the air, screaming up a storm.  The next day he came back to try it again and found his tree with his stand in it had been chainsawed down.  You meet all kinds.....

fiddlehead322

« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2008, 07:12 PM »
I guess no matter the sport, there's always an a-hole to come along and ruin it for ya! Theiving low lifes! Had a stand stolen myself as did a friend. Just when you think it's gonna be the day, wham! It's gone.

troutchaser

« Reply #12 on: Apr 21, 2008, 08:37 AM »
dont leave your gear around     people will rob ya blind   they do it all the time to our shacks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.