FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cranberry Lake & Ranger School help  (Read 3920 times)

bcons

Cranberry Lake & Ranger School help
« on: Apr 24, 2012, 02:38 PM »
Hey guys taking my son this weekend to Wanakena for a campus tour for RS.  He's all into it so far.  Tour's on Saturday any advice on questions to ask or things to see?
Next question, while up there going to do some fishing from shore.  Any advice or tips? Fly vs spinning? bring both etc?
Thanks for the help.
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

Munson

Re: Cranberry Lake & Ranger School help
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2012, 05:50 PM »
Hey guys taking my son this weekend to Wanakena for a campus tour for RS.  He's all into it so far.  Tour's on Saturday any advice on questions to ask or things to see?
Next question, while up there going to do some fishing from shore.  Any advice or tips? Fly vs spinning? bring both etc?
Thanks for the help.

Ask where the ranger school is.  That would be a good start.    A rod, reel, line, hooks and worms will catch anything in the area

bcons

« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2012, 07:19 PM »
Considering I'm a wise az I deserved that, except ya coulda done better.  Ask where the school is?
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2012, 08:42 PM »
As a graduate, I can say kudos for your kid looking to go there.  After touring the school, I recommend checking out the general store in Wanakena, then drive over to Cranberry lake village. Make sure he sees how beautiful and isolated it is up there.   Ask what he needs to bring. If he hasn't done his first year at a community college, what he needs to take. PS, feel free to PM me any time about that place. Greatest college in the world!

Munson

« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2012, 11:08 PM »
Considering I'm a wise az I deserved that, except ya coulda done better.  Ask where the school is?
:-)

oswegatchieEd

« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2012, 07:45 AM »
they stock below the dam in cranberry. water is still cold up here.

ADK Tank

« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2012, 09:29 AM »
Also as a Ranger School grad, he is making a great choice in my opinion. Going there opened a lot of doors for me in my career and my time up there was an amazing experience that he'll never forget.  For fishing go into town and hike up the Oswegatchie river where is comes into the lake for brookies and browns. I always had good luck with mepps or panther martin spinners with some worm or crawler on them. I don't fly fish but I bet you could do alright with the fly rod too. If you have the time for a hike go up to Cathedral rock which is a real nice spot and you can also climb up into the firetower up there for a great view of the area. These aren't a far hike and are right on the school property, just ask and I'm sure someone there will tell you how to get there. Same as Roy, PM me anytime about the place. A lot has changed since I was there in '01 but I will do my best to answer your questions and one of my buddies little brother graduated from there last year so I can always ask him too.

PSC13

« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2012, 11:11 AM »
Check out paul smiths college ;D I am a current student now and i love it up here and i can spend my whole college life in the adks.

ADK Tank

« Reply #8 on: Apr 25, 2012, 12:35 PM »
Leave to a Smitty to chime in on a Ranger School thread! ;D

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #9 on: Apr 25, 2012, 02:50 PM »
Check out paul smiths college ;D I am a current student now and i love it up here and i can spend my whole college life in the adks.

Maybe if he wanted to go in to hotel management but I think he would rather get a degree in forestry.  ;D ;)

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #10 on: Apr 25, 2012, 02:55 PM »
Best advice?  Tell him to look into SUNY ESF if he has good grades.

That said, if he likes the outdoors he should like Wanakena.

But if he likes women, ESF will give him more typical college experience (with state tuition), a nationally-valued degree, and a lot more opportunities to meet a female co-ed  ;)
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

ADK Tank

« Reply #11 on: Apr 25, 2012, 03:20 PM »
Jimmy,

You can still meet women at Ranger School, he just might have to lower his standards a little. :laugh:

Last Cast 69

« Reply #12 on: Apr 25, 2012, 03:23 PM »
Plenty of women up here at smittys too, just have to spend some time figuring out which ones they are...

bcons

« Reply #13 on: Apr 25, 2012, 04:45 PM »
Thanx for all the info so far!   Girls?   ::)  much to the dismay of my other 2 boys, this one gets plenty of attention.  As for the outdoors he's nutz, I have to get on him ice fishing to come back inside or warm up his nearly frostbitten hands.  This time of yr he's gone fishing or in the woods somewhere till 0 dark 30.  He's the only one without a facebook acct.
I worry more about ticks on him or getting stuck out in a thunderstorm than anythimg else.

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #14 on: Apr 25, 2012, 05:15 PM »
Jimmy,

You can still meet women at Ranger School, he just might have to lower his standards a little. :laugh:

The ones at star lake or the ones at Newton Falls?  :whistling:

Actually the best thing is go to wanakena then to ESF. He will have a huge advantage over any one who just went to ESF only.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.