FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Striped Bass  (Read 7352 times)

BAZOOKAJOE

Striped Bass
« on: May 15, 2006, 10:13 AM »
I just got a few over the weekend and need some tasty ideas.

slipbob

Re: Striped Bass
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 11:20 AM »
I fileted them and cut out the mud line dividing each filet into two whole pieces.  Cut off all the dark parts as well.  I marinated some in ginger, soy sauce and fresh garlic and then just grilled it.  Very good.  I also just grilled some while basting it with melted butter.  Even better.  The last pieces I just rolled in seasoned flour and sauteed in butter and olive oil and then topped with more melted butter and lemon wedges.  Outstanding and by far the tastiest method I tried.  Of course that was the first and only striped bass I've ever eaten(a 10lber) but my girlfriend and I ate the whole thing in three nights.  My cat Gary also helped out ;).  These fish were almost as good as walleye.  I can't wait to get time to try and get another one but it will probably be next year before I can go again but I was totally impressed with the flavor of the fish and I would think they would be excellent deep fried, poached, broiled or baked as well.  Good luck cooking yours and enjoy, they are DELICIOUS.  ;D   Their white flaky flesh has a delicate flavor that stands on it's own and it would be well served with a wide variety of cooking methods suitable for walleye, haddock or cod.  In other words, it's really good.  ;)

jo-jos_jigs

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 08:48 PM »
I grew up fishing/eating walleyes. When I got stationed in MD on the Ches. Bay, I got hooked on striper (or rockfish as they call them) I have always prefered walleye until I ate striped bass. Anyway, my favorite way to make them is to fry them with a home made batter similiar to beer batter. I like to spice it up with some creole seasoning too! Heres the recipe for anyone to try:

(For about 3 lbs)
2 cup all-purpose flour
3 cup pancake mix
3 cup club soda
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp seasoned salt
Directions
Dip moistened fish pieces evenly but lightly in the flour. Dust off
any excess flour and allow pieces to air dry on eaxed paper, about 5
minutes.

Whip the pancake mix with the club soda to the consistency
of buttermilk- pourable, but not too thin and not too thick. beat in
the onion powder and seasoned salt.

Dip floured fillets into batter and drop into 425~ oil in heavy saucepan using meat thermometer.
Brown about 4 minutes per side. Arrange on cookie sheet in 325~ oven
until all pieces have been fried.
To err is human, to forgive is divine......... Neither of which is my policy

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 03:48 PM »
Thanks guys...i'll have to give these a whirl.  Jo-jo i hope i don't hurt your feelings if i substitute beer for the club soda.   :laugh:

jo-jos_jigs

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 05:38 PM »
No biggy! I do the same every once in awhile!
To err is human, to forgive is divine......... Neither of which is my policy

slipbob

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 03:23 PM »
Thanks guys...i'll have to give these a whirl.  Jo-jo i hope i don't hurt your feelings if i substitute beer for the club soda.   :laugh:

Did you try any of the stripers you caught yet?? 

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 11:58 AM »
Did you try any of the stripers you caught yet?? 

Slip, not yet...might de-thaw some this weekend.   Going to try the beer-batter (if it's good on whiteperch--it's gotta be great with striper  :laugh:) and your method of sautee in butter with lemon.   :)  Thanks for the tips!

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2006, 04:35 PM »
I finally got around to eating some of the striper that's been in my freezer since may.  I fried chunks in peanut oil w/ beer batter (after soaking in milk w/ icecubes for a 1/2 hour).  Not bad.  Not my favorite, but better than most bass.  It seemed if the batter was golden brown the flesh was slightly dry.  I did another batch with a shorter cooking time...but the batter wasn't as crisp. I guess i was expecting walleye taste   :-[.  I'll try the sautee in butter and lemon on the next batch. 

scansy

• IX - X - XIII - XIV - XL
« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2006, 05:04 AM »
I guess i was expecting walleye taste

Ummmm, no fish is like walleye.

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2006, 07:55 AM »
Ummmm, no fish is like walleye.

I like perch just as much.   ;)

scansy

• IX - X - XIII - XIV - XL
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2006, 01:03 PM »
I like perch just as much.   ;)

:P

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2007, 03:05 PM »
rolled in seasoned flour and sauteed in butter and olive oil and then topped with more melted butter and lemon wedges

That was really good!!

bluefinforme

« Reply #12 on: Apr 05, 2007, 03:12 PM »
I just got a few over the weekend and need some tasty ideas.
send em up here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 06, 2007, 02:14 AM »
Stripers are great any way you want to fix them. They don't call them "Chicken of the Sea" for no reason......Oh, and sorry Charlie..(the Tuna)....but I like Stripers better ;D...WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 03:19 PM »
I marinated some filets in white cooking wine (w/ lemon flavoring) then cooked on med-low heat in a fry pan.  Squeezed some lemon on them and a few twists of a pepper mill  w/ a pinch of salt.  Man, those schoolies taste good!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.