FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hurshtown  (Read 7153 times)

FW88

Hurshtown
« on: May 04, 2019, 10:16 PM »
Spent all day without a bite. I have never figured out that dang reservoir.  I'd starve if my life depended on catching fish.

However there are reports of walleye and smallmouth. Just been open 3 days.

Only place to fish with all the flooding. Just remember there is an entrance fee.  Better to buy the annual pass.

Daybreak

Re: Hurshtown
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 06:33 AM »
Spent all day without a bite. I have never figured out that dang reservoir.

Did you fish from the shore or were you in a boat?  I am thinking about fishing it to catch some of the white crappie.  Looking at the topo map of the lake, it definitely has some structure to check out.
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

FW88

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 07:38 AM »
From shore. But yes I often see boats trolling about 25 yards from shore picking at the white crappie. I didn't hear any reports yet tho.

When the biting is good just need a minnow at 8 feet deep from shore. I typically like the south side the best but sometimes it depends on the wind.

Daybreak

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 08:05 AM »
Thanks.  Sounds like you will be on them next time out.  Water will warm up a lot today with the light winds and abundant sunshine.

satyr36

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 06:50 AM »
are you able to put a boat in that has a gas motor on it? I know you cant "fire it up" but ive heard you cannot even put the boat in if it has an outboard motor on it (unsure if true)

RoeBoat

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 07:12 AM »
Yes, you can have a gas motor on the boat

taxid

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 09:02 AM »
I was headed there yesterday with the boat but as described on another thread ran into some SNAFOOs. Maybe it's a good thing I didn't go?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

FWCanoeFisher

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 09:07 AM »
are you able to put a boat in that has a gas motor on it? I know you cant "fire it up" but ive heard you cannot even put the boat in if it has an outboard motor on it (unsure if true)

You can have a gas motor on the back but you have to keep it tilled up out of the water as much as possible.

FW88

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 10:40 AM »
No you wont have an issue. I'd like to go out today but closed on mondays :(

Daybreak

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 11:37 AM »
That's good to know.  I have pretty good trolling motors, but my tin boat sits pretty high up and can catch a lot of wind if it is bad.

Spencerville

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 09:32 AM »
I fished Hurshtown yesterday.  Great weather,  nice chop on the lake and cloudy.  Trolled for walleye with raps for about 3 hrs... caught 5 short in the 15" range and took one 16.5 home. Hit several nice crappie and a nice smallie. Keep in mind there is a no launch restriction for wind exceeding 15mph. Seen some guys blown onto the bank last week.  That water blows white caps pretty fast so if your in a smaller boat beware. And have a good strong trolling motor, 40lb wont get it when the wind picks up. Walleye is 16" on that water. There are better ways to fish for walleye there and I'm trying some new techniques next trip out. Here are a couple fish from there yesterday.  You can get into crappie by trolling really easy.

RoeBoat

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 10:21 AM »
Good to see you got a few.  A buddy of mine is out there today fishing it with Bricker.  I haven't made it out there yet this year but hopefully soon.

Daybreak

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 12:45 PM »
Good to see you got a few.  A buddy of mine is out there today fishing it with Bricker.  I haven't made it out there yet this year but hopefully soon.
Let us know how your buddy does.  I hate the thought of trolling motor only, but don't mind putting in some time to learn new water.  It's just hard to drive past all the good lakes in Noble, Whitley and Lagrange county to try Hurshtown.

Spencerville

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 03:23 PM »

Good for him, Bricker is on his game there... he was there the other day. He said he was catching a lot of shorts also but I'm sure he grinder out his limit after I left. I almost went this morning. ..maybe tomorrow in the rain.

RoeBoat

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2019, 02:46 PM »
Yeah, he spends a lot of time there.  They caught quite a few, mostly shorts but kept a good mess.  Should be much better once we get this next warm front.  They will feel better if we ever see 60 degree water!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.