FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hurshtown  (Read 7154 times)

taxid

Re: Hurshtown
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 03:14 PM »
I may head over there for some female white crappies next week. I have a second pond I can put them in with the black crappie males to produce hybrids. I was just going to settle for all black crappies in onother pond but looks like I still have a little time. I only need four or five females

I would prefer producing hybrids over regular crappies. Much easier to control in a pond vs. non hybrids. And supposed to grow faster the first couple of years.

I put 200 hybrids I feed trained over the winter into my grow out pond a few days ago. Went from 3 to 4 inches to almost 7 inches in a few months. Hopefully the feed trained largemouth in the pond won't eat too many.

The fish originally came from a hatchery in Arkansas last November. A friend brought them up.

So trolling with small crank baits and perhaps a mepps spinner should pick up a few crappies?

A hybrid close to 7 inches

Sorting out the runts:

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Spencerville

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 03:28 PM »
Yes taxid,  I see VT hem stacked along north Shore 20 to 30 yards off the bank... suspended 12 to 15 in 20 fow. Shouldn't have any trouble once you mark the school.

taxid

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2019, 03:33 PM »
"VT hem?"

Them?

Thanks for the info!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Spencerville

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 04:31 AM »
"VT hem?"

Them?

Thanks for the info!

Yes...them... :D

Spencerville

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 04:44 AM »
Hey taxid... are you ready to take in a steelhead for a reproduction mount?

taxid

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 11:52 AM »
Hey taxid... are you ready to take in a steelhead for a reproduction mount?

If it's a reproduction I don't need the fish.  I think you mean just to order the blank of the appropriate size and paint it?

I can order a blank as long as I get the deposit to order the blank.

RoeBoat

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 12:12 PM »
Trolling flicker shad works good out there

taxid

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 12:17 PM »
Good to know thanks!

Spencerville

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 05:47 PM »
Ditto on flicker... taxi yes I understand.  I called you 5 or 6 weeks ago and you wanted to get caught up before you took it on. Just wanted to see if you were ready for me.

taxid

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 08:39 PM »
Ditto on flicker... taxi yes I understand.  I called you 5 or 6 weeks ago and you wanted to get caught up before you took it on. Just wanted to see if you were ready for me.

Yes I am taking in fish again. Only about a dozen left hanging from the rafters but more in the freezer. That's better than 70 hanging from the rafters a year ago at this time!

FW88

« Reply #25 on: Jun 04, 2019, 09:01 AM »
Caught some small mouth on top water and small cranks.

Saw a boat pick away about 30-40 crappie. I wish I brought minnows.

No walleye. I've caught some 24-25 inch out of there but nothing this year. Most are usually 12-14 inches.

This was Saturday. Wish I had a boat tho lol!

RoeBoat

« Reply #26 on: Jun 04, 2019, 10:06 PM »
Don't know anything about that.  He takes a couple vets fishing every year.  My friend served and that is how he went along.  Owns one or two of his microliners also.

bigr

« Reply #27 on: Jul 03, 2019, 08:48 AM »
IMO the somewhat new regulation of 16 inches isn't working at all. I catch a lot of eyes every year and I have not seen any change in overall size or even number of fish. I'm still willing to give it another couple of years to see what happens but I sure do like those 12 to 14 in perch/walleye fillets. A put and take resource should allow for take portion much easier than it is now. Next step in my opinion should be the put portion of the resource. Increase. Walleye reach 14 inches very fast then seem to disappear in any body of water. For me number of fish aren't down just the number of keepers by a lot. 

FWCanoeFisher

« Reply #28 on: Jul 03, 2019, 09:48 AM »
How many people are keeping walleye, regardless of what size they are?  It makes perfect sense that the average size should increase with an increased size limit.

taxid

« Reply #29 on: Jul 03, 2019, 10:03 AM »
I want to hit Hurshtown sometime to bring back some whites to hold in a pond for broodfish to produce hybrids next year. May wait until the fall when the water cools down though.

I do have some black crappies fry in one of my ponds I put black crappie broodfish in caught in Eagle Lake here in Noble County Strange thing is they can't be more than two weeks old judging by there size. I didn't think crappies spawned that late!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.