FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What hook style?  (Read 3825 times)

scooter22

Re: What hook style?
« Reply #15 on: Aug 30, 2008, 09:41 PM »
For some reason I couldn't find any "circle" hooks. I got some #4 egg hooks. They looked the most circle. I also saw "octopuss" style. I did get some #4 Aberdeens also. I've used those on trout in the past. I just want to illminate as many swallowed hooks as possible. I would keep them myself to eat but I'm fishing Onondaga Lake in Syracuse. I'm sure most of you know about it. A polluted toilet, but alot of fish. I can't belive people eat fish from it. But they load up the 5 gallon pails of sunnys.

Steelie Slayer

• Serious Steelhead NUT!!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Aug 30, 2008, 10:20 PM »
octopuss

Thats wut you need....
TEAM STEEL!!!!!!!

I caught a fish once!

"We drank all this fish..... And we caught all the beer, err we caught all the fish...... And drank all the beer!"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #17 on: Aug 31, 2008, 04:15 AM »
The problem I've experienced with Octopus hooks is,  if they're small enough for a bluegill to inhale, they'll suck them right into their stomach. With a bucktail, they take the bait but the jig head stays outside the mouth. If you crimp the barb, which I do in most cases, the fish is easily released without damage.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fire314

« Reply #18 on: Aug 31, 2008, 08:59 AM »
try somthing with a long shank small hook they dont inhale it as much and it is easier to get leverage when they do .

Eye Hunter

« Reply #19 on: Aug 31, 2008, 04:57 PM »
Set the hook quicker. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

scooter22

« Reply #20 on: Sep 01, 2008, 12:24 AM »
Set the hook quicker. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
I was but they were hitting the under side of the bridge on the yank! :P

scooter22

« Reply #21 on: Sep 01, 2008, 12:26 AM »
The problem I've experienced with Octopus hooks is,  if they're small enough for a bluegill to inhale, they'll suck them right into their stomach. With a bucktail, they take the bait but the jig head stays outside the mouth. If you crimp the barb, which I do in most cases, the fish is easily released without damage.

RG
Great idea. I'll try it. Thanks

scavengerj

« Reply #22 on: Sep 01, 2008, 08:04 PM »
Never have much luck with the circle hooks on panfish, trout (slimers) or flounder for that matter. A jig/bucktail w/ crimped barb works much better IMO. Or, as I do for the slimers, use whatever size hook you like. Just be sure to bring plenty of them. If they happen to swallow the hook, no big deal, just cut the line and let the fish go0
Life is not a guided tour, but a journey
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.