FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lyme disease vaccine available soon!  (Read 3505 times)

taxid

Lyme disease vaccine available soon!
« on: Jun 07, 2018, 01:12 PM »
I'm sure those of us that shore fish and others will be happy to hear this!

https://www.zmescience.com/medicine/lyme-disease-vaccine-28052018/
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

tomturkey

Re: Lyme disease vaccine available soon!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2018, 04:22 PM »
Why the H has it taken so long for the US to come up with a Lyme disease vaccine. Around 20 years or more ago a friend had taken his wife that was born in Germany to see family. He came home with Lyme disease. It took forever to get the diagnosis right over here that it was Lyme. He found out that they had vaccine for it in Germany at that time. That was a long time ago yet it took this long for the US to come up with a vaccine. Must be there in no big money to be made buy the crooked pharmaceutical companies by coming up with a vaccine for Lyme.

OOPs I just reread the article and see the vaccine was developed in France, kind of proving the money issue. It still will need to be approved to make it available here.

I have only seen/felt a deer tick one time where I live. I got woke up one night with one crawling in my hair. I thought I had squashed it but I lost hold of it so it dropped into the bedding. I got woke up again a while later by it back in my hair. This time I put it in a medicine bottle and took care of it in the morning. We do not have many ticks of any form around but most of the clothes I wear in the woods are treated with permaone.

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2018, 09:43 PM »
I could comment on something about the government kicking in major medical funding as in a socialized country as in France, but that would draw some ire from some folks here.  ;D

You're lucky you don't have many ticks. In some parts of the country they are absolutely lousy. Just standing in the grass or woods for a few seconds you will have several crawling up your leg. One such place is New England, although I had never even heard fo them when I lived their almost 50 years ago. But back then they sprayed with DDT like crazy!

As a taxidermist back when I did game heads I once took in a couple of whitetails from Wyoming and their fur was covered with dozens and dozens of ticks. Fortunately the capes were frozen before I got them and the ticks were dead.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

seamonkey84

« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2018, 10:19 PM »
It’s bad here in Maine. I highly recommend treating outdoor cloths and gear with the permethrin sprays. You pretty much need a suit top to bottom to make sure you don’t come out covered from just walking through some brush.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2018, 10:56 PM »
It’s bad here in Maine. I highly recommend treating outdoor cloths and gear with the permethrin sprays. You pretty much need a suit top to bottom to make sure you don’t come out covered from just walking through some brush.

That's the way it was in Mass last time I was there.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2018, 06:17 AM »
It has not been as bad here in RI but we do have a bunch. Worst places being on brush along the coast line.
Wicked Wec

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2018, 06:26 AM »
I bought a pack of tyvex coveralls and sprayed them with sawyers and wear them when mowing and weed wacking.
All my shoes and get sprayed offten....
Its not a guarantee but sure helps....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Spider1

« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2018, 07:45 AM »
I learned a trick a few years ago about how to lower the tick population in a small area, like a yard or field. Make tick bombs.

Take toilet paper tubes, cotton balls and permethrin. Spray the cotton balls with the permethrin and let them dry completely. Cut the cardboard toilet paper (or paper towel) tubes into 2" or 3" lengths and stuff a few treated cotton balls in each one and then place them in places around the yard or field where they will be protected from the elements but that would be frequented by mice. Mice are the #1 vector for ticks. The mice collect the cotton balls and line the nest which in effect treats the mice which will collect ticks like crazy which in turn kills the ticks.

Spider1

« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2018, 08:03 AM »
oh, and about vaccines, there was a vaccine about 20 years ago but it was found that it could cause Lyme arthritis in some of the patients and there wasn't an acceptance for the vaccine. It was discontinued in the early 2000's. This was all mentioned at the end of the article that taxid posted. I hope they have better luck with this vaccine.

https://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/articles/history-lyme-disease-vaccine

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Jun 08, 2018, 08:43 AM »
Spider1 how dangerous is this permethrin stuff? Sounds pretty potent.

Spider1

« Reply #10 on: Jun 08, 2018, 09:38 AM »
I checked it out. It isn't bad when it dries. You spray it on your clothes and let it dry, then your clothes are good for up to like 6 washings. A buddy of mine sprayed his hunting clothes. Then when we were out hunting he got a tick and dropped it on his clothes and the thing started writhing and curled up and died, it was very effective. It'll keep chiggers, gnats and mosquitos off too. The stuff you put on the back of your dogs neck to kill fleas and ticks is permethrin. It is supposed to be extremely bad for cats before it dries though. It'll get a cat sick so you gotta be careful where you use it and let it dry thoroughly.

tomturkey

« Reply #11 on: Jun 10, 2018, 08:16 AM »
I got tired of constantly buying cans of Sawyers. I got a tip from a guy on another site that Permethrin could be bought in a concentrated form at Tractor Supply. I also bought a couple of spray bottles to mix it in. I can not remember what the mixture rate is. The bottle of it is over at my camp so I will have to look when I get back over their. I have shared the mix that I have made up with a number of hunting buddies.

jperch

« Reply #12 on: Jun 10, 2018, 08:41 AM »
The recommended amount of Permethrin in your mixture for spraying clothing is .5%, that is 1/2 of 1%.  How you mix it will depend on how concentrated of a mixture you buy.  The literature that is included with the Permethrin will usually say how much to add for a quart, gallon, etc.  I have bought Permethrin at Tractor Supply and found it even cheaper at Amazon.  I spray that same mixture on the foundation of my house, it stops carpenter ants from wanting to get inside.  It will last for about 6 weeks.  As far as toxicity goes, it is supposedly very dangerous for all cats.  It is used to treat scabies and head lice in humans.  For reference, I believe the concentration used for scabies is 5%, ten times the concentration that we spray our clothing with.  I wear heavy rubber gloves when spraying and try to be careful to stay upwind.  I never saw a tick all of turkey season but got bit by a tick yesterday while playing with the dog on mowed grass.  Luckily it did not have time to fully penetrate my skin.
jperch

Spider1

« Reply #13 on: Jun 10, 2018, 12:43 PM »
Just because a tick bites you it doesn't mean it'll transfer Lyme. If a tick is carrying the virus, a tick will have to be attached for over 20 hours to transfer the virus.

jperch

« Reply #14 on: Jun 10, 2018, 03:21 PM »
Just because a tick bites you it doesn't mean it'll transfer Lyme. If a tick is carrying the virus, a tick will have to be attached for over 20 hours to transfer the virus.
Yes, that is what is often stated and probably true.  But there has been some recent articles that suggest that in some cases tick borne diseases can be transmitted more quickly than previously believed.  Also, not all ticks carry the Lyme bacteria.  I did get bit 15 or so years ago when cutting firewood, developed the bullseye rash and was treated with a course of doxycycline.  I did not have any serious complications luckily.  The smaller ticks are so small, they are the ones that worry me the most.  I am a huge fan of Permethrin!
jperch

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.