FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: sebago salmon  (Read 18313 times)

fishlessman

sebago salmon
« on: Jul 11, 2017, 09:30 AM »
what happened, 2 fish over 16, they may as well make 10 fish

seamonkey84

Re: sebago salmon
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2017, 09:41 AM »
Huh? If you're asking why they increased the limit from one, there are "too many small salmon around"
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

fishlessman

« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2017, 09:57 AM »
Huh? If you're asking why they increased the limit from one, there are "too many small salmon around"

been fishing this lake pretty hard for 15 years now, ive never seen it this bad for smalls.  yes theres too many small salmon, not many ok salmon, no large salmon

fishlessman

« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2017, 10:21 AM »
i should rephrase  that, 16 inches is now a big salmon in the lake

ragfly

« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2017, 11:07 AM »
Inland fisheries has really screwed up that lake...... 

lobsterman

« Reply #5 on: Jul 11, 2017, 11:48 AM »
its not even worth the aggravation go to western maine better fishing.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2017, 11:57 AM »
Please, everyone go to other lakes as Sebago isn't worth fishing.  ::)
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

gamefisher

« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2017, 12:11 PM »
I'd like to say I told you so but will leave that privilege for MG39. ;D

Turnbuckle

« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2017, 12:22 PM »
If you the reader were solely responsible for the lake's management, what would be your regulations on lake trout and salmon and why?
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

fishlessman

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2017, 12:53 PM »
If you the reader were solely responsible for the lake's management, what would be your regulations on lake trout and salmon and why?

im not sure why the salmon got so small so quickly, just a couple years, they look to be well fed little nerf balls.  fish were  bigger when the searun smelt were being stocked and the togue slot seems to have reduced the size of the togue fleet. as a side note, im seeing togue under 10 inches this year, ive never seen that before, it would be worth looking into the slot limit to see if its causing more small togue, from what ive seen, the togue slot to remove small togue and decrease the togue population is a newer relatively untested idea. maybe its not working. waiting to see what the smelt yoy class looks like on the finder, the last few years the size dwarfs what i used to see back when the searuns were stocked. how about we mandate killing all togue ;D

fishlessman

« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2017, 01:34 PM »
and really hope its not Thiamin deficiency from the alewive population stunting the growth rates, but it probably is

seamonkey84

« Reply #11 on: Jul 11, 2017, 02:03 PM »
I've only fished sebago a few times with not many fish caught, but I have seen the large salmon during spawning season, and they're usually over 24" and I've seen a few that were definitely over 30. Just catching those are far in between if there's so many little ones that feed aggressively.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

fishlessman

« Reply #12 on: Jul 11, 2017, 02:26 PM »
I've only fished sebago a few times with not many fish caught, but I have seen the large salmon during spawning season, and they're usually over 24" and I've seen a few that were definitely over 30. Just catching those are far in between if there's so many little ones that feed aggressively.

have caught plenty of big fish in sebago over the years, quality and numbers are extremely low this year and the smelt balls you can find in the morning before sunup are few and far between. the water did get warm early this year, earlier than most years, been 70 degrees down to 25/28 feet deep for a few weeks now which is mostly an august temp pattern but i dont think thats the problem and i dont think its a lake cycle this time around, somethings wrong, the bios seem to know it but no ones really talking about it. im not saying we should be catching 4 to about 8 pounders regularly like has been in the past, but catching a 3 pounder now is a trophy fish, a few really early this year but the last 6 or so weeks its been terrible. size was going down fast last year, its crashing this year

Turnbuckle

« Reply #13 on: Jul 11, 2017, 02:33 PM »
I don't have a lot of experience in the grand scheme of things, and didn't fish last season (gulp), but felt this year things were looking up for salmon. I can say 1/3 of my salmon trips have put a salmon between 20-23 inches in the boat. Have not seen many under 14 inches. Most in that 17-18 inch range which I seem to remember from years past(last 4 or so).

Outside salmon, I havent caught a decent togue all year. Might be my methods but all the ones I catch look to have come from a mold. 22-24 inches. Well fed. Infested with them. I have a rule with my girls that we head out, once they each catch a fish we go tubing or swimming. Sunday I dropped the riggers sat down, both rods went off, 2 twin 23 inchers in the net and I hauled it all in and put on my bathing suit. Other day I caught a couple 11-13 inchers. Don't think I ever have.

Might be my new finder, but I don't mark the bait like in years past.

I couldn't even guess as to what the regs should be but a 23-33 inch togue is a smelt eater and I can't believe they want to protect those.

fishlessman

« Reply #14 on: Jul 11, 2017, 02:51 PM »
I don't have a lot of experience in the grand scheme of things, and didn't fish last season (gulp), but felt this year things were looking up for salmon. I can say 1/3 of my salmon trips have put a salmon between 20-23 inches in the boat. Have not seen many under 14 inches. Most in that 17-18 inch range which I seem to remember from years past(last 4 or so).

Outside salmon, I havent caught a decent togue all year. Might be my methods but all the ones I catch look to have come from a mold. 22-24 inches. Well fed. Infested with them. I have a rule with my girls that we head out, once they each catch a fish we go tubing or swimming. Sunday I dropped the riggers sat down, both rods went off, 2 twin 23 inchers in the net and I hauled it all in and put on my bathing suit. Other day I caught a couple 11-13 inchers. Don't think I ever have.

Might be my new finder, but I don't mark the bait like in years past.

I couldn't even guess as to what the regs should be but a 23-33 inch togue is a smelt eater and I can't believe they want to protect those.

im pretty sure the 6 inch salmon ive been seeing are stuffing those 23 inch togue, those are some fat togue. these new high tech finders are not finding bait ;D except for that stuff down 125 feet they seem useless this year

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.