FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: sebago salmon  (Read 18316 times)

Eroy4

Re: sebago salmon
« Reply #15 on: Jul 11, 2017, 04:23 PM »
There's still plenty of large salmon in sebago, but there's does seem to be an overabundance of smaller fish. I think the state should  cut back a little on the stockings. I have been very impressed with the amount of juvenile salmon I've seen in some of the tributaries over the past few years. Overbundant populations of small salmon seem to problem in quite a few lakes in the state.

seamonkey84

« Reply #16 on: Jul 11, 2017, 06:20 PM »
Agreed, they should hold off on stocking, as I've read the stocked fish aren't usually sebago strain (if the true sebago strain is still around) anyway. Spread those salmon out in places that don't normally get as many, even if it's more of a put and take lake.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #17 on: Jul 11, 2017, 07:15 PM »
The old saying that "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all" is about to be violated.

Again, I can't resist saying something. I'm older than the run of the mill viewers on this site and can only repeat again that the real good salmon fishery in Sabago is history, until you start getting rid of those slot togue. If you've fished the lake more than at least 60 years, I'll take a back seat. Too bad some of you weren't around when the white fish and beautiful salmon were plentiful in the lake. Some of you now catch a decent salmon once in a while and a lot of small ones and say that because of the small ones, you can't catch the big ones.
Why is so hard to understand that fish between 23-33 inches are abundant egg layers? To say that those big togue are eating their own is plain baloney. I caught 15 & 16" togue in there two years ago and regulars like Fishlessman can attest to numbers of their reduced size showing up more and more. Just a few years ago before the slot change, a small togue was very unusual, probably because there wasn't so many egg layers. Those togue are feasting on smelts and alewives. Where did the alewives come from??? I'd like to see some photos of togue that are taken home to eat and once they are dressed, see all those small togue they're supposed to be eating in their belly.

It makes me sick to see a pristine lake like that ruined, because of some dummy!

Unfortunately, Sebago is now a great togue fishery.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

canoeist

« Reply #18 on: Jul 11, 2017, 10:01 PM »
Sebago is still a wonderful lake. The fact that are still native salmon going after all the years is amazing. There is still
Whitefish in there and it's not what it once was but it is a survivor after all it's been through sort of like the Indians of Maine. A lot of mistakes have been made but hopefully the love affair continues and people remain good stewards of the resource.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #19 on: Jul 11, 2017, 10:36 PM »
Sebago is still a wonderful lake. The fact that are still native salmon going after all the years is amazing. There is still
Whitefish in there and it's not what it once was but it is a survivor after all it's been through sort of like the Indians of Maine. A lot of mistakes have been made but hopefully the love affair continues and people remain good stewards of the resource.

Very well said

fishlessman

« Reply #20 on: Jul 12, 2017, 07:35 AM »
The old saying that "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all" is about to be violated.

Again, I can't resist saying something. I'm older than the run of the mill viewers on this site and can only repeat again that the real good salmon fishery in Sabago is history, until you start getting rid of those slot togue. If you've fished the lake more than at least 60 years, I'll take a back seat. Too bad some of you weren't around when the white fish and beautiful salmon were plentiful in the lake. Some of you now catch a decent salmon once in a while and a lot of small ones and say that because of the small ones, you can't catch the big ones.
Why is so hard to understand that fish between 23-33 inches are abundant egg layers? To say that those big togue are eating their own is plain baloney. I caught 15 & 16" togue in there two years ago and regulars like Fishlessman can attest to numbers of their reduced size showing up more and more. Just a few years ago before the slot change, a small togue was very unusual, probably because there wasn't so many egg layers. Those togue are feasting on smelts and alewives. Where did the alewives come from??? I'd like to see some photos of togue that are taken home to eat and once they are dressed, see all those small togue they're supposed to be eating in their belly.

It makes me sick to see a pristine lake like that ruined, because of some dummy!

Unfortunately, Sebago is now a great togue fishery.

ive never seen a small togue in the belly of a togue. have seen smelt,alewives, salmon, bass, whiteperch, suckers, but never a togue.  its bad enough with the short salmon that everyone wants to fish bass this weekend, not sure which fishing i hate less, bass or togue

BrookieSlayer99

• Trying to catch big bows and brookies!
« Reply #21 on: Jul 12, 2017, 12:59 PM »
I thought MIFW completely stopped stocking sebago with salmon?

Turnbuckle

« Reply #22 on: Jul 12, 2017, 02:42 PM »
I thought MIFW completely stopped stocking sebago with salmon?

I think it's 1200 8 inchers which to me is not a lot compared to lakes 1/5th the size that get more.

Last I read 70% of the population was wild.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

MGK

« Reply #23 on: Jul 12, 2017, 04:27 PM »
I have nothing useful to add to this conversation other then the fact that I fish it a few times each year and have been getting most of my togue deep and in he 23-25" range. A few over and a few under. Never salmon fished it but from what I saw on social media this year wasn't all that impressive. Most fish looked skinny to me. I will also say that in 4-5 trips this year I marked 0 bait and no fish in less then 100fow
It is better to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

seamonkey84

« Reply #24 on: Jul 12, 2017, 05:33 PM »
I think it's 1200 8 inchers which to me is not a lot compared to lakes 1/5th the size that get more.

Last I read 70% of the population was wild.

Wild doesn't mean the oringinal strain. Stocked fish that were breed parents from another lake/river can still spawn. I've read a few articles that suggested that we get some of the brood from the ones that were sent down to Argentina as they were from the original strain, but the state didn't want to import anything.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Turnbuckle

« Reply #25 on: Jul 12, 2017, 06:35 PM »
Wild doesn't mean the oringinal strain. Stocked fish that were breed parents from another lake/river can still spawn. I've read a few articles that suggested that we get some of the brood from the ones that were sent down to Argentina as they were from the original strain, but the state didn't want to import anything.

I understand they (stocked) fish can spawn, but the state maintains the position that there is very little cross breading and reproduction of stocked fish and true wild. For example, similar to other rivers if you stock a fish say in the Jordan river, the fish comes back to the Jordan river. It doesnt have the instinct to go to the crooked. The norm, not the rule But they maintain that when they say 70% are wild they are primarily crooked river reared fish. Maybe I'm
Misinterpretating the studies though.

At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

seamonkey84

« Reply #26 on: Jul 12, 2017, 08:43 PM »
I didn't find the original article, but here's a discussion about the strains. http://forum.flyfishinginmaine.org/viewtopic.php?t=344&p=3293

Also http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1577/T02-090

seamonkey84

« Reply #27 on: Jul 13, 2017, 04:41 AM »
Well hopefully I'll be seeing the quality for myself today. I'm heading out there with a friend in just a bit, hope I get to catch my first salmon in over a year

JDK

« Reply #28 on: Jul 13, 2017, 05:53 AM »
I have nothing useful to add to this conversation other then the fact that I fish it a few times each year and have been getting most of my togue deep and in he 23-25" range. A few over and a few under. Never salmon fished it but from what I saw on social media this year wasn't all that impressive. Most fish looked skinny to me. I will also say that in 4-5 trips this year I marked 0 bait and no fish in less then 100fow

Fake news.

# SAND

teampar

• "It is what it is"
« Reply #29 on: Jul 13, 2017, 06:53 AM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.