FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Thank you Maine!  (Read 4119 times)

taxid

Re: Thank you Maine!
« Reply #15 on: Jun 24, 2019, 05:52 PM »
Maine used to stock 3 different strains of browns: Seeforellen, Sandwich, and New Gloucester (their own hybrid strain).  Not sure which ones they ended up sticking with but I think they were trying to phase out the New Gloucester strain due to genetic shortcomings.

Interesting!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #16 on: Jun 24, 2019, 05:59 PM »
I used to stock Spring spawning Rainbows in one of my farm ponds. But now I have to go to N.H. to get them and they do not allow it. cannot bring them across state line. Use to get them from North new Portland hatchery and they did reproduce some years and they got up to 10 lbs in 3 years wish the state would stock them.

That's too bad. Yeah rainbows grow fast and get big. I have a couple hundred steelhead rainbows in one of the floating cages in the pond (have to seperate them from the much larger free swimming trout in the pond). They are outgrowing the browns and brooks in another cage. The bows are 6 to 8 inches (hatched in January) but the browns and brooks hatched in December are at least two inches smaller. 

I was thinking of moving to Maine (still am) at some point but my concern is I won't be able to raise the bluegill, yellow perch, and crappie even indoors as was told your state is paranoid of exotic species. That said I did notice Cabelas in Augusta had bluegills and I think I saw some crappies too?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

woodchip1

« Reply #17 on: Jun 24, 2019, 06:12 PM »
I know of local farm ponds with Blue Gills and  another pan fish . I know they were there 70 years ago. not sure about now.

taxid

« Reply #18 on: Jun 24, 2019, 06:36 PM »
I read somewhere about your state coming in and rotenoning or draining a pond when they found out the owner had planted it with bluegills. It's been so long ago I can't remember the details.

I wouldn't have minded running across some bluegills vs. the redbreasts I caught on Minnehonk. It didn't appear the redbreasts got more than about 6 or 7 inches. Most were much smaller.

woodchip1

« Reply #19 on: Jun 24, 2019, 06:50 PM »
I,ve never seen one over 10"

seamonkey84

« Reply #20 on: Jun 24, 2019, 10:28 PM »
For gills in Maine, you need to go further south, York county is infested with them. Pumpkinseeds get decent sized too. Though my biggest for both is 9-9.5”.
I’ve only ever caught a few redbreasts, but this one was no slouch, bushy pike fly on size 2 hook

"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #21 on: Jun 25, 2019, 08:21 AM »
For gills in Maine, you need to go further south, York county is infested with them. Pumpkinseeds get decent sized too. Though my biggest for both is 9-9.5”.
I’ve only ever caught a few redbreasts, but this one was no slouch, bushy pike fly on size 2 hook

I kind of figured farther south on the bluegills but didn't want to be on a lake that was too developed. I have plenty of that back home.

I know it's none of my business, but even Minnehonk and nearby Flying Pond are getting developed albeit still less than back home. Flying Pond was quite dense with cabins on the west side and there was new building going on too. That's how it starts. We have a couple of lakes that are so dense with cottages now they were declared their own towns. I just hate to see that. Everybody wants to live on the lake. Ironically many of the lake dwellers here don't fish.

I guess I'm a purist. Once you get one dwelling on a lake it just isn't the same.

woodchip1

« Reply #22 on: Jun 25, 2019, 11:30 AM »
A lot of lakes in southern Maine  are owned by people from out of state and are lived in only in summer months ,When ice fishing its very quite and peaceful maybe 1 camp out of 100. like being in a very remote area.  a great way to spend a few hours a day.

seamonkey84

« Reply #23 on: Jun 25, 2019, 02:05 PM »
Yea, those association lakes become a pain. The one I frequent in the summer can get very irritating with seasonals and their jet skis. Most of them have no idea theres such thing as no wake zone m/headway speed only within 200ft of any shoreline or island.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #24 on: Jun 25, 2019, 07:36 PM »
A lot of lakes in southern Maine  are owned by people from out of state and are lived in only in summer months ,When ice fishing its very quite and peaceful maybe 1 camp out of 100. like being in a very remote area.  a great way to spend a few hours a day.

At one time the only people on our lakes here in Indiana were either from out of state or out of town. However over time many retired and made them permanent residents or commuted back and forth. One lake near me that is the biggest natural lake in the state (3000 acres) has wealthy folks come in, buy a property with a decent home in the $250,000 to $500,000 range and tear it down. Then build a million dollar or more home in its place. I hear Tom Cruise's parents live on that lake, but can't verify it.

I lived on one of the lakes here while building a home elsewhere. Nosiest d**n place I ever lived. Didn't care for it. I have a lot more privacy and fun on my four ponds.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.