FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fly Rod Brown Trout  (Read 5707 times)

PIKE FISHERMAN

• Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based fishing.
Fly Rod Brown Trout
« on: Jun 26, 2019, 05:35 PM »
First evening of fly fishing for the season. Virtually no hatches to be found, only 2 rises seen in the hour I fished. Started with an elk hair caddis, then a caddis pupa with no attention. Threw a spinner for 10 minutes only catching one small SM. Tied on a streamer, this brown crushed it in 3-4 casts. Hard to beat fish on the fly rod.

Link to the video if interested:
Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

MattyP123

Re: Fly Rod Brown Trout
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2019, 06:15 PM »
Cool video. Your casting with the wrong arm though

zwiggles

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2019, 10:48 AM »
Glad you put this out even with the bad audio. I totally enjoyed the video, and that footage of the jump was really cool!

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2019, 01:10 PM »
Nice video.  Love aggressive browns.  If I may suggest something, when you are stripping line back I'd suggest keeping the line under your finger on your left hand.  It will give you better line control in the event you get a fish that pulls out a lot of line quickly.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

PIKE FISHERMAN

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2019, 08:55 PM »
Cool video. Your casting with the wrong arm though
Haha thanks. I’m a strict lefty
Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

PIKE FISHERMAN

« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2019, 08:56 PM »
Glad you put this out even with the bad audio. I totally enjoyed the video, and that footage of the jump was really cool!
Glad you enjoyed it. I thought about not putting it up, but it was too cool of a catch not to. Thanks for watching

PIKE FISHERMAN

« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2019, 08:56 PM »
Nice video.  Love aggressive browns.  If I may suggest something, when you are stripping line back I'd suggest keeping the line under your finger on your left hand.  It will give you better line control in the event you get a fish that pulls out a lot of line quickly.

PIKE FISHERMAN

« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2019, 08:57 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll take any advise I can get. Pretty much self teaching as I go. I can see where that would give you better line control

icefisher47

« Reply #8 on: Jun 28, 2019, 01:35 AM »
Cool Video, Thank you for sharing.
Take a kid fishing

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 28, 2019, 08:25 AM »
Nice brown, Josh. 

Hatches have been weak and rises sparse so far on most of the waters I've been fishing.  There was one evening when fish weren't showing, but were willing to pop on top.  Otherwise, it has been a streamers game for the most part.  That will change shortly.

PIKE FISHERMAN

« Reply #10 on: Jun 28, 2019, 11:27 AM »
Nice brown, Josh. 

Hatches have been weak and rises sparse so far on most of the waters I've been fishing.  There was one evening when fish weren't showing, but were willing to pop on top.  Otherwise, it has been a streamers game for the most part.  That will change shortly.
Sounds about right. I’ve had prior seasons with a bunch of quality dry fly catches by now. That was my first streamer fish, which got me hooked. Going to spend some time and tied up a bunch 

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Jun 28, 2019, 01:08 PM »
Nice brown, Josh. 

We just started getting into all the fun stuff down here in CT...bwo, caddis, sulphurs, now my favorite Iso's. 

I've always done well with early stones when the bugs aren't hatching.  Frenchy or another hotspot type fly on the dropper and early stone on point.

westernmas

« Reply #12 on: Jun 28, 2019, 01:56 PM »
Sounds about right. I’ve had prior seasons with a bunch of quality dry fly catches by now. That was my first streamer fish, which got me hooked. Going to spend some time and tied up a bunch

Don't hesitate to cast upstream and strip a streamer back toward you.  It gives the streamer a little bit different action and can sometimes trigger strikes when stripping against the current isn't working.  The water pushing against the streamer can take away some of the movement of the fly.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

PIKE FISHERMAN

« Reply #13 on: Jun 28, 2019, 06:34 PM »
We just started getting into all the fun stuff down here in CT...bwo, caddis, sulphurs, now my favorite Iso's. 

I've always done well with early stones when the bugs aren't hatching.  Frenchy or another hotspot type fly on the dropper and early stone on point.
Seems like were way late with our hatches. I need to find a good stonefly pattern, our lakes are full of them

PIKE FISHERMAN

« Reply #14 on: Jun 28, 2019, 06:35 PM »
Don't hesitate to cast upstream and strip a streamer back toward you.  It gives the streamer a little bit different action and can sometimes trigger strikes when stripping against the current isn't working.  The water pushing against the streamer can take away some of the movement of the fly.
Thanks for the tip, ill definitely try it. That was the hardest hit I've had on the fly rod. Def hooked on streamers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.