FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fly Rod Brown Trout  (Read 5706 times)

seamonkey84

Re: Fly Rod Brown Trout
« Reply #15 on: Jun 29, 2019, 09:10 AM »
Aside from the usual aquatic hatches, make sure to have some large ant patterns in your box. The big queen ants should be flying soon (if I haven’t missed it already)

"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

lowaccord66

« Reply #16 on: Jun 29, 2019, 05:05 PM »
Thanks for the tip, ill definitely try it. That was the hardest hit I've had on the fly rod. Def hooked on streamers.

Night time...giant sculpin patterns...you'll never look at streamer fishing the same way again.  Especially fun in spots that get a ton of daytime pressure!

PIKE FISHERMAN

• Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based fishing.
« Reply #17 on: Jun 29, 2019, 08:04 PM »
Aside from the usual aquatic hatches, make sure to have some large ant patterns in your box. The big queen ants should be flying soon (if I haven’t missed it already)

I’ll add them to my collection. Thanks for the suggestion
Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

PIKE FISHERMAN

« Reply #18 on: Jun 29, 2019, 08:05 PM »
Night time...giant sculpin patterns...you'll never look at streamer fishing the same way again.  Especially fun in spots that get a ton of daytime pressure!
You talking dark night? Or dawn night??
Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: Jun 30, 2019, 10:18 AM »
You talking dark night? Or dawn night??

Dark night.  Now through the hottest part of the season and even into fall. 

PIKE FISHERMAN

« Reply #20 on: Jul 01, 2019, 07:27 AM »
Dark night.  Now through the hottest part of the season and even into fall.
I’ll definitely try it. I know a few spots where there is a ton of fish but are leader shy. 

lowaccord66

« Reply #21 on: Jul 02, 2019, 06:04 AM »
I've been after them.  Guys use mice around here so I am told.  There's tons of field mice but I have always felt a big sculpin had more of a chance of getting whacked because they are more readily available to the trout.

seamonkey84

« Reply #22 on: Jul 02, 2019, 07:47 PM »
I've been after them.  Guys use mice around here so I am told.  There's tons of field mice but I have always felt a big sculpin had more of a chance of getting whacked because they are more readily available to the trout.
You’d be surprised, I’ve caught some small fish with mice flies  :o

"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

lowaccord66

« Reply #23 on: Jul 02, 2019, 10:10 PM »
You’d be surprised, I’ve caught some small fish with mice flies  :o

Misunderstanding what my point is...which is your more likely to catch a large brown at night throwing a sculpin pattern than you are a mouse.  The sculpin are always there.  The mice cross occasionally but its a rare thing to even see one try at night.  Were taking larger patterns than what you show in your picture. 

seamonkey84

« Reply #24 on: Jul 03, 2019, 01:09 PM »
Oh yea, for sure the trout will more likely see a bait fish than a mouse.  the “master splinter” isn’t a very big profile fly on a size 2 hook, but that’s why I like it, plus very easy to tie. I’ve only seen one sculpin in a river I fish, but I have tied up some to match that ones size and color, but have yet to give them a good try.

PIKE FISHERMAN

« Reply #25 on: Jul 05, 2019, 08:08 AM »
Makes sense. To my knowledge, we don't have sculpin here in Maine, but people seem do good with holly bugger patterns.

westernmas

« Reply #26 on: Jul 05, 2019, 08:17 AM »

Jon, one guy who fishes south of where you are catches stockers on mice flies in the middle of the day.  He uses smaller ones that are prob like a size 6 bugger and catches double digits in the middle of the day.  Not sure where he's fishing but he does really well with smaller profile mice.  But I agree with the sculpins being more prevalent however that visual take during the day or the sound at night of top water just can't be matched.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

westernmas

« Reply #27 on: Jul 05, 2019, 08:19 AM »
You can also find some glow in the dark foam to mice patterns that allow you to see your fly and take at night.  Haven't personally used it but see guys using it on frog and mouse patterns out west.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #28 on: Jul 05, 2019, 11:27 AM »
You can also find some glow in the dark foam to mice patterns that allow you to see your fly and take at night.  Haven't personally used it but see guys using it on frog and mouse patterns out west.

Reminds me...they make glow sighter material too!

seamonkey84

« Reply #29 on: Jul 06, 2019, 06:43 AM »
Makes sense. To my knowledge, we don't have sculpin here in Maine, but people seem do good with holly bugger patterns.
We have sculpins, I’ve seen one once, but just that once lol. But since I know they’re there, I tied up a bunch of mini sculpins for that river. Just haven’t given them a chance.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.