FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Eagle and/or Jordon Pond at the Acadia National Park?  (Read 1668 times)

taxid

The wife and I might stay at an Airbnb near Acadia National Park the next time we visit Maine. Anybody have any thoughts on fishing Eagle Lake and Jordon Pond in the park, or some of the smaller bodies of water? Will probably have the kayak and the small boat and outboard this time. I see the species listed, but not seeing anything definitive as far as how good the fishing is. Obviously the park is a big tourist trap as I visited it a just a couple of weeks ago. However I typically go on vacation before school lets out which seems to make a difference.

I'm not asking for any fishing techniques, just wondering if they are worth fishing for good sized landlocks and brook trout. Some bodies of water are great for scenery but sometimes the fish just aren't' of any size.

I'm well versed on using a downrigger and lead core for coldwater fish, and casting for bass and pickerel etc. in shallower water in bodies of water more geared for warm water fish.

Thanks!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

CLAMFARMER

Re: Eagle and/or Jordon Pond at the Acadia National Park?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2019, 10:40 AM »
I’d choose Eagle.
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2019, 12:10 PM »
I’d choose Eagle.

Is that it?  ;D

Big fish?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2019, 07:22 PM »
Found some better information here:

https://www.maine.gov/ifw/docs/lake-survey-maps/hancock/eagle_lake.pdf

Didn't see it at first and figured since it was a federal park perhaps the Maine inland fisheries had not surveyed it. I was wrong.

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2019, 12:38 PM »
Is that it?  ;D

Big fish?

Easy access. Good population of good sized lakers. Lots of brookies stocked every year. Might be a good time to troll salmon at Long Pond too. I’d fish the lower 2 thirds there. Don’t fish down that way anymore as I mostly target crappy this time of year when I have tome to get out. Might be some stripers around soon. Haven’t seen any mackerel yet, but lots of other bait around!
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2019, 01:13 PM »
Thanks Clamfarmer.

So you raise clams obviously? What percentage of the clam market would you say is farm raised? I heard the clams were freshly harvested at the restaurants I went to in Maine recently, so that tells me to continually harvest them they must be farmed?

I can remember back in the late 1960's when the only time one could dig wild clams was in February at the beach campground we stayed at in Ugunquit Maine. We found that out when we were gleefully digging clams in June and someone came up and told us they were out of season. We quickly buried them just before a Game Warden or someone similar to that showed up and asked us, "Ya not digging' clams a ya? "Oh no officer we know better than that. We're looking for sea worms for bait."

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2019, 04:39 PM »
Hey.... I’m not farming clams anymore. May be getting out of growing oysters too. Just can’t handle everything my self, make a living and work on my house. When you come up shoot me a text. (Sending PM. ) I can point you at some places to dig a few. You will need a rec license though. Like $20. Can give you a bit more specific info on local fisheries too.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Jun 30, 2019, 07:07 PM »
Hey.... I’m not farming clams anymore. May be getting out of growing oysters too. Just can’t handle everything my self, make a living and work on my house. When you come up shoot me a text. (Sending PM. ) I can point you at some places to dig a few. You will need a rec license though. Like $20. Can give you a bit more specific info on local fisheries too.

Thanks although I am perfectly happy buying them at the restaurants already cooked. Just brought that story about about digging them in my childhood to show you we didn't know what we were doing. And was curious about how many are farm raised vs. wild harvested.

As far as texting I wouldn't know how to do it. This ol' fart is probably one of the last people on earth that doesn't have a cell phone! Had one briefly as a hand me down from the wife until I tipped the kayak last year on vacation. Note to self: put the electronics in a zip lock bag when you're on the water!

From one aquaculturist to another -- thank you.

BTW have thought of retiring to Maine and continuing to raise the small amount of trout, bass, yellow perch, and crappies that I hatch and raise to trophy size to sell whole to fellow taxidermists all over the country. Was told some of those species may be a big no no as they are exotic invasives. Even raising them indoors would not be allowed although I did see a Cabelas in Maine that had bluegill and crappie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.