FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: June.....Had to Grind Them Out  (Read 2474 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
June.....Had to Grind Them Out
« on: Jun 30, 2019, 03:20 PM »
June was a challenging month to say the least.  Flows were high much of the time and hatches were weak.  It was a record (and not a good one) for hours spent on waters that seemed fishless even if they looked great or were "go to" spots in the past.  It started to weird me out to cast in waters that seemed to have been rotenone-treated. :o

There were some definite highlights, however.  There were no laughers, but all tough days were rewarded with at least 1 fish.  Plus, with 13 different species coming to hand, the variety was sure there.

The month started out with a trip to the salt on Long Island Sound.  I made it a goal to flyfish 100% of the time and I brought along only an old beater 5-weight.  I ended up being real happy with the results.  Any time I can up with a species that I haven't caught before in 6 decades of fishing is a highlight.  Hickory shad were a  scrappy surprise, hitting hard and spending much of the time in the air.

I couldn't connect with any scup or fluke, but the big sea robins were ready to play.  The Medalist 1494 will give you an idea of of size of this guy, who gave a long fight when he took wing in the outgoing tide.

And the coastal sunsets were hard to beat.

Back in Maine, I took advantage of high flows to fish in some pretty small water to chase natives and small browns that had quickly moved a distance from their stocking points and colored up a bit in the tannic-stained waters.

One early high ground outing with my son revealed a lot of erosion and stream scour over the winter.

Fishing was slow, but the stealthy crouch my son is developing was nice to see (even if lower would be better ;D).

He was more than happy with a few natives and a small wild 'bow in the beautiful setting.

I spent just 1 afternoon chasing warm water fish in flowing water.  They weren't in their usual haunts, but I found bunch hanging in the debris that had built up in an eddy at the downstream side of an island.

As mentioned, there wasn't much to the June hatches.  There was one calm, cloudy evening that had enough insects on the water to have the fish looking up for an old work buddy and me.  We brought numerous brookies to hand with caddis patterns, but the browns made the trip 8)

July will see relatively little fishing time, but I'm guessing it will behave more like June normally does.  Perfect for fishing smarter if not harder. ;D

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
Re: June.....Had to Grind Them Out
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2019, 04:28 PM »
Great report and pics, Jim.

fish wayniac

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2019, 05:49 PM »
Jim, Great pictures and variety of fish. You had a good month of catching despite high water and not much bugs hatching. Awesome!

zwiggles

« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2019, 06:29 PM »
Bravo!

Stickbait

« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Great narrative as always. Its always a pleasure to read of your adventures on the water.
Great pics to boot.

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2019, 07:52 PM »
Great pics. Looks like you did very well. It was a tough month for us, lots of crappy weather turned the bite off.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2019, 07:59 PM »
Thanks for sharing! Beautiful pictures as always!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

PIKE FISHERMAN

• Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based fishing.
« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2019, 07:28 AM »
Heck of a report Jim. Not a bad June considering the conditions we had.
Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

franklin fisher

« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2019, 05:01 AM »
  Great story and pics.  Always a treat for us.

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Jul 02, 2019, 06:02 AM »
Great post thank you!

tkmoney_99

« Reply #10 on: Jul 02, 2019, 06:04 AM »
Always look forward to your posts Jim. You put your time in and are rightfully rewarded. Thanks for sharing.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #11 on: Jul 02, 2019, 08:05 AM »
Nice work Jim!
Wicked Wec

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #12 on: Jul 02, 2019, 10:59 AM »
Hickory Shad on a 5 wt. must've been a blast! They look pretty similar to American Shad? a smaller cousin i guess? Great pics & report as always, Jim.

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #13 on: Jul 03, 2019, 07:46 AM »
Yes, they are definitely related.  What's interesting is that from what I've read they run strongest down there after many of the stripers have left in November.  Has me thinking.....

Hickory Shad on a 5 wt. must've been a blast! They look pretty similar to American Shad? a smaller cousin i guess? Great pics & report as always, Jim.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #14 on: Jul 03, 2019, 11:04 AM »
I've read they run strongest down there after many of the stripers have left in November.  Has me thinking.....

interesting indeed.  American Shad runs are in full swing right now, I may be targeting them soon  8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.