FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Kenai River vacation  (Read 4833 times)

gamefisher

Kenai River vacation
« on: Mar 13, 2006, 08:03 AM »
   Hi Guys - Going to post this over in the Alaska section but was curious if any of the Maine brotherhood has had the opportunity to spend time on the Kenai.  Got a great wife that is taking us there in mid August for my 40th bday!!  She has received literature on cabins, guide services, fishing and stuff but there are just to many!  Kind of need a place close to other attractions so she can take the kids to do stuff on the days I fish.  Would love some first hand suggestions and reccommmendations.  Will the river be crowded that time off year?  Would prefer a place away from the crowds if possible.  From what I've read it looks like that is the time of year for silvers and rainbows... can't wait!!  Thanks in advance.

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
Re: Kenai River vacation
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2006, 10:42 AM »
WOW!! does she have a sister??  :D  that sounds like a great trip GF hope you get into some trophy fish over there!! take lots of pics!!
Scotty 

gamefisher

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2006, 11:05 AM »
Thanks Scott, you're more than welcome if you can fit in my hockey bag.  Can't wait, hoping to get some good "locals" feedback on the Alaska page.

buddah

• Stick'em!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2006, 01:21 PM »
I spent 3 weeks there a couple of years ago.I went in mid june for kings,but never fished the kenai.We did fish the russian for reds and that was fantastic,fish after fish.We spent most of our time on the anchor and kasilof rivers for kings and did quite well.There are tons of regulations that change day to day so that determined where we fished.Without a float plane you will have crowds but theres plenty of fish to go around.We had 23 hours of daylight when we were there so we fished the night hours 11 pm on and that cut down on the crowds big time.I heard that salmon herder charters were the best on the kenai ,you might wan't to look him up.It's a huge river and is mostly fished with driftboats.The kasilof is not far away and is better for shore fishing.Timing is everything though.One thing is for sure you'll never foget the trip(or the flight out and back,it's brutally long)I'll post some pics when i get a chance.I also learned some great techniques on this page,we caught all our salmon like this.http://www.alaskafishinglogs.com/rudystip.htm

gamefisher

« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2006, 01:48 PM »
Thanks Buddah - that's just the type of quality info. I need.  I'm sure having a 2 and 5 year old in tow will make that flight go by real quick... ;)  We thought about lying about the age of my son to save on plane fare but then I remembered how fun it was to hold my daughter all the way to Seattle when she was 18 months.  Very fleeting thought.  We actually got tickets out of Logan for $379.

buddah

• Stick'em!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2006, 01:52 PM »
Geez for that price i might go again.My friends dad lives in homer so airfare is really our only expense.

sst4life

« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2006, 02:02 PM »
I spent some time on the Kenai 3 yrs ago and it was a heralding experience big, big, big Kings.  You will be there for about the end of the run for the kings but the Coho will be beginning and they are fun.  Are you looking basicly for guides for a day or are you looking into fishing camps are you also willing to go to the salt for Halibut.  If you could go in June that would be your best bet for the Sockeye are thick in the Kenai and to me are a great fighting fish and the best tasting of all the salmon. 
I play with my rod TWO HANDED !!!!!

gamefisher

« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2006, 02:38 PM »
  No, where its a family trip, I'm locked into the August dates.  Ideally, we will be able to find a cabin to rent on the river, I can go out with a guide for a day or two, pick up enough info. from them to go on my own as time allows.  Unfortunately, I will still have to do some family stuff  (I tried to get her to send me with some fishing buds, but it didn't fly to well ;D)  Sounds like the Kenai (due to its size) may not be the answer for that based on info. from Buddah.  Was thinking the river instead of the salt.  Thanks for the help. 

buddah

• Stick'em!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2006, 02:54 PM »
See if you can find a place in soldotna.It's right on the kenai ,but not far from smaller rivers like the kasilof,deep creek, ninilchick,and anchor.It's also built up pretty good to do other things other than fish.The other option would be to rent a r.v.Theres campgrounds at every one of those rivers with salmon fishing just steps away.I don't think you'll need a guide for silvers or reds(coho and sockeye)I was told the silvers are pretty agressive,and when we fished for reds we were getting them every other cast.The locals are pretty helpful once you get up there.I think the anchor river has a motel there if i remember right.Look up Anchor River Angler It's a tackle shop right on the river they should have plenty of info.

gamefisher

« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2006, 03:06 PM »
Buddah - great advice - that might be more of the thing to do (smaller rivers)- the RV idea has merit also - will explore.  Thanks for the info. sharing guys.

buddah

• Stick'em!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2006, 03:22 PM »
Here's the website to anchor angler. some great info    http://www.xyz.net/~angler/

sst4life

« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2006, 04:21 PM »
Like Buddah said the smaller rivers if you are going to bank angle.  The kenai has a lot of sections that are special regulations where you cannot fish from the bank.  There is also very limited bank space on the Kenai from what I remember the Kasilof is great for silvers from which I am told.  To bad you are not thinking about the salt there is nothing like a fight from a 150 lb halibut !!!!!!!!
I play with my rod TWO HANDED !!!!!

buddah

• Stick'em!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2006, 03:36 PM »
Allright,here is just a sampling of the fun you are going to have.

big kings fresh from the sea:

all the sockeye you care to catch in a day.(the limit's six)

the ocassional steelhead.

the occasional big steelhead. (skinny because of post spawn)

2 year old jack kings.

cable ferry rides to get across the kenai to the russian river. (just a couple fisherman on the other side)

awsome scenary while your fishing.

and great sunsets................at 3:30 am.Hurry up and get some sleep,sunrise is at 5:30 am.  ;D

gamefisher

« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2006, 05:45 AM »
Just to bump this back up, if this was four guys going on a straight fishing vacation, it would actually be quite reasonable.  I have found fishing packages for 7 nights lodging, 4-5 guided trips, for like $899.  They basically give you the lodging.  We have found a few places willing to work around the family nature of the visit.  Most promising right now are Marlow's and Alaska Lou's on the Kenai and afishunt charters down in Nillinchok (sp?)  If any of you have specific knowleage of these places, I would love some feedback... thanks.  Buddah - starting to look more away from the Kenai and the smaller areas like Nillinchok and Anchor River - looks unbelievable!  Sst4life - you've talked me into it... those halibut look too big not to give some attention... FISH ON!

gamefisher

« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2006, 11:08 AM »
Buddah, Sst4life, or anyone else - been thinking I would treat myself to a new setup for the trip.  Where its primarily coho time, I think I'm going with the Diawa BG - 15 reel spooled with something like 14 lb test?  Sound alright?  Any suggestions for a 7 1/2 - 8 ft. rod to matchup with it, reasonable price?    Want something half decent and durable.  From what I've read, they are fierce fighters.  Thanks in advance.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.