FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trolling Motors  (Read 1675 times)

pegasus

Trolling Motors
« on: Mar 24, 2006, 08:40 AM »
What is a good trolling motor to buy for a 16.9 Old Town canoe? I almost got one on E-bay last night for $60.00, but had to leave at the last minute and got out bid by three bucks. This was a Mini Kota with 27lbs thrust , 5 speeds forward and 3 speeds reverse. The reason I'm doing this is because most of the lake on MDI are 9.9 hp. and under and I have a 25 hp. Mercury.
Stop eating the bait and let's go fishing!

fshnfool

• Retired MFF Mod
Re: Trolling Motors
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2006, 08:49 AM »
I just bought a Minn Kota 30lb thrust at wallyworld for just under 100 bucks. got it for a 14' old town. they've got a 40lb thrust for 200 bucks and a 50lb thrust for 300 bucks. haven't had mine in the water yet, but there's an old town dealer across the street from my shop and he said the 30lb was more than enough for any canoe. 

pegasus

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2006, 08:58 AM »
Thanks, maybe that's what I'll do. The downfall is that I'll have to register my canoe, but it will be easier to get around instead of paddling all day.

fshnfool

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2006, 09:20 AM »
Thanks for reminding me pegasus......I gotta register my canoe.....duh.. ::)

gamefisher

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2006, 09:25 AM »
Pegasus - some of the little gas outboards are pretty sweet for a canoe.  In the long run, I think you might be happier.  Uncle's yesterday had a mid 80's Johnson 2.5 for $200 or best.  Even some newer 4 strokes, 2 - 3.3 in the $400 range.  Troll all season on a tank and no battery to deal with.  Just a thought.

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2006, 09:33 AM »
anything in the 30# range will make your canoe scoot right along. gas motors are sweet too for different reasons. along with the cost of your electric trolling motor youll want to factor in the cost of a good deep cycle marine battery. low battery power is prolly the biggest killer of trolling motors. a regular car battery is fine for a couple hours but for the long trip, or if ya dont wanna recharge everytime you use it, get a good battery. elctric  trolling motors are stealth!!! quieter than the smallest of gas motors. good luck and tell us what you decide!!
Scotty 

fshnfool

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2006, 09:44 AM »
I replaced the deep cycle battery that was on my 28' travel trailer, it was about the size of a car battery. I went with one about 3 times the size, alot more cold cranking amps, cause I wanted to be able to stay somewhere for a full week without worrying about losing juice. so the battery that I replaced is gonna be used with my troller....I looked at a couple small horsepower gas jobs, but decided to go w/ the troller, because my canoe is double ended and the troller was alot lighter to be hanging off the side.

pegasus

« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2006, 01:06 PM »
I have some deep cell gel pack batteries I saved when we replaced some at work. They are about the size of a lawnmower battery maybe a little bigger and hold their charge for a long time.

ifishhi

• fall togue on a 6wt.....what a fight!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2006, 02:05 PM »
hey pegasus i have a 9.9 and need a 25 wanna trade?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.