FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Long Rod Chronicles  (Read 100494 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Long Rod Chronicles
« Reply #765 on: Sep 04, 2023, 05:57 PM »
Housatonic this morning early.  Very slow fishing.  Rumning clear and 650ish cfs.  One dink smallie and one decent one.  Next rainy day I bet they'll be fired up.

bogtrotter

« Reply #766 on: Sep 04, 2023, 08:19 PM »
Sorry to hear it . ..  but I guess even a stream like the Housatonic has an "off" day now and then.

Better luck next time.

lowaccord66

« Reply #767 on: Oct 16, 2023, 01:54 PM »
Housy yesterday afternoon - 900ish cfs, clearing and slow bite.  1 brown on a #8 pats and 3 smallies on the 6w.  Distinct lack of surface activity.  Few iso's here and there but not many.

Steve H.

« Reply #768 on: Oct 16, 2023, 03:04 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the Farmington this weekend!
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

lowaccord66

« Reply #769 on: Oct 17, 2023, 01:57 PM »
Wet and wild.  Thankfully they continue to dump water from the res so I dont expect a flow bump saturday.  Prime time pre-spawn plus low light could equal a giant brown. 

westernmas

« Reply #770 on: Oct 18, 2023, 10:25 AM »
Gave the millers a try last Saturday but me and a friend weren’t able to connect. It was running at almost 500 cfs which I believe is high although several parts of the river seemed quite shallow to me.

We stopped home, got some lunch and decided to try to shake the skunk at the chesterfield gorge. We each connected on fish w a couple of the rainbows being quite sizable.

AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #771 on: Oct 18, 2023, 11:17 AM »
Nice work Pat!  Glad your able to get out again.

westernmas

« Reply #772 on: Oct 18, 2023, 02:58 PM »
Nice work Pat!  Glad your able to get out again.

Thanks Jon.  Slowly but surely.  Hope to be 100% by steelhead.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #773 on: Oct 22, 2023, 05:54 AM »
Nice work fellas and great pic, Pat!
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #774 on: Oct 22, 2023, 06:00 PM »
Two days of long rod.  3 rivers.  Wicked bad conditions but had a good time.  Friday night flows were perfect, boy did that change.  A majority of the farmington was unfishable.  So went back to some childhood spots and managed a few trout despite a super heavy leaf hatch.  Then visited a still water spot with stockies to goof around.  It had stopped raining by then which was nice.

This morning was an early one.  Setup by first light, didnt matter.  The trout didnt cooperate.  Moved around a bit and hooked a big palmino that eventually smoked me and broke off.  Fast forward through some poor fishing to a solid breakfast.

Steve it was good to fish with you!  After your departure I hit a class 3 wild brown trout stream.  Clear water, some leaves and a skunk.  Tapped out by later afternoon. 

bogtrotter

« Reply #775 on: Oct 22, 2023, 06:22 PM »
Two days of long rod.  3 rivers.  Wicked bad conditions but had a good time.  Friday night flows were perfect, boy did that change.  A majority of the farmington was unfishable.  So went back to some childhood spots and managed a few trout despite a super heavy leaf hatch.  Then visited a still water spot with stockies to goof around.  It had stopped raining by then which was nice.

This morning was an early one.  Setup by first light, didnt matter.  The trout didnt cooperate.  Moved around a bit and hooked a big palmino that eventually smoked me and broke off.  Fast forward through some poor fishing to a solid breakfast.

Steve it was good to fish with you!  After your departure I hit a class 3 wild brown trout stream.  Clear water, some leaves and a skunk.  Tapped out by later afternoon.

I'm impressed you were able to catch anything at all on a stream, given the recent flows.

I'm also intrigued by your tangling with a palomino trout - - It's pretty cool you even have them down your way.

Steve H.

« Reply #776 on: Oct 23, 2023, 03:25 PM »
Steve it was good to fish with you!

Great trip, Jon, thanks again for showing me around!  More laughs than fish but that's how it goes sometimes.  Lets try again next spring.  (The caddis will be poppin.  ;D ;D ;D)
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

lowaccord66

« Reply #777 on: Oct 23, 2023, 03:57 PM »
I'm impressed you were able to catch anything at all on a stream, given the recent flows.

I'm also intrigued by your tangling with a palomino trout - - It's pretty cool you even have them down your way.

It was annoying.  I told steve I thought I was drifting next to a piece of wood with orange leaves on it, mid run in the sweet spot...nope...it was a trout and it made a last minute run towards a down tree and popped my tippet easily...we dont get many of them stocked thankfully.

lowaccord66

« Reply #778 on: Oct 23, 2023, 03:57 PM »
Great trip, Jon, thanks again for showing me around!  More laughs than fish but that's how it goes sometimes.  Lets try again next spring.  (The caddis will be poppin.  ;D ;D ;D)

Anytime, always fun to fish with someone who doesnt complain.  Conditions were the absolute worst possible.  But hey someones got to hold down the beach.

lowaccord66

« Reply #779 on: Oct 28, 2023, 09:25 AM »
Stay tuned...might be pulling the trigger on a trip to Argentina first 2 weeks in January.  (Pat wanna go?)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.