FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Setting up the boat to troll...  (Read 30941 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Setting up the boat to troll...
« Reply #195 on: Apr 14, 2018, 10:45 PM »
Got the boat wet today, very happy with how it fished and performed in general. Lake I was on is only about 40 ft max depth, so I didn't really get to see how the downriggers handled being mounted where they are. They sure work fine for 30 ft. I'm not really concerned about it though. I moved the kicker as close to the main as possible, and got the steering linkage hooked up. Works a charm! When the boom is angled back towards the stern I don't see any way the cable could foul the prop unless it was real snotty out and I was taking a beam sea. I'm sure I will encounter it at some point though and will have to be conscious of it.

Main motor works perfect, idles nice but 3.8mph slowest in still water. Kicker isn't too annoying for what it is but I think needs some adjustment. Would not idle constantly where I thought it should. Had to keep it throttled up and slowest troll about 2.5mph. Need to play with it, might be an air adjustment. May try dragging a bucket or two with the main next time I'm out... sure would be less walking to the throttle and back to the wheel.

The full windshield and Bimini top with windshield is such a game-changer! I can't wait till I get those side curtains. It was chilly out there today and I wish I had brought my heater. It probably would have worked pretty well even without the side curtains.

I dragged a lead core line and one downrigger setup with cowbells most of the day and no fish. Did not expect much from this lake anyway was more of a shakedown mission than anything. The only time I missed my other boat was when I was loading the boat back up on the trailer. This thing is a big boat, I've got to get used to loading it and loading the Starcraft will seem like child's play next time I use it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #196 on: Apr 14, 2018, 10:55 PM »
Good job Geoff.
And very good report.

Tilt the kicker up a little and it will lower the thrust and allow you to run it slightly higher rpm to go slower.
Just make sure it’s still drinking water.
Don’t wanna overheat.
Nice pix too.

One last suggestion.
Smile next time.

😎

👍

Jethro

« Reply #197 on: Apr 15, 2018, 07:33 AM »
How's this one Mac

joefishmore

« Reply #198 on: Apr 15, 2018, 08:12 AM »
Good to hear a nice report. What was the kicker you got ?

Jethro

« Reply #199 on: Apr 15, 2018, 08:34 AM »
Good to hear a nice report. What was the kicker you got ?

2006 mercury 6 horse.

Mac Attack

« Reply #200 on: Apr 15, 2018, 12:04 PM »
How's this one Mac

WAY better partner!!

taxid

« Reply #201 on: Apr 19, 2018, 05:53 PM »
Small world again Jethro! Your boat was made just up the road from me about 15 minutes away. I probably know some of the people that built it!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jethro

« Reply #202 on: Apr 20, 2018, 12:34 PM »
Small world again Jethro! Your boat was made just up the road from me about 15 minutes away. I probably know some of the people that built it!

No way! Awesome!

Jethro

« Reply #203 on: Apr 22, 2018, 08:19 PM »
Got a lot done this weekend!

Did my first carpet job on the nose deck, installed a horn and solved a short that was in my nav light. Carpet match came out pretty good I think, I hate carpet but it's cheap and I'll make it work for a few years before I can do something like vinyl. Also installed the quick release for the trolling motor. I will have more carpet work to do or the next few months but at least this is a start.

Reconfigured the linkage for my kicker steering, it is drilled into the mains cowl now. The previous version used two bars tied together to travel all the way over to the other side of the main. This version allows me to trim the main if I choose. I can also trim either motor independently.

Took your advice Mac, and built a small trolling bar which is detachable leaving just leaving aluminum angles on the boat. It's stronger than I thought it would be. I will probably stain the oak boards to protect the wood a little bit. Decided that 3 rigger mounts will be plenty, in fact most times I believe I'll probably only have two downriggers with me on board. This is what I came up with:

Also took care of some cosmetic stuff that was desperately needing done... got all my electrical working really good, I have two new batteries on board... I think I am ready to just go catch some fish! Wish me luck!

Mac Attack

« Reply #204 on: Apr 22, 2018, 08:30 PM »
Great work on everything Geoff.
I would worry about attaching that steering rod to the fiberglass cowl of the big motor however.  I would be worried it will crack and those cowls are not cheap.

Jethro

« Reply #205 on: Apr 22, 2018, 09:35 PM »
Great work on everything Geoff.
I would worry about attaching that steering rod to the fiberglass cowl of the big motor however.  I would be worried it will crack and those cowls are not cheap.

Yep, I know I'm taking a chance but determined it was worth the risk. Did not fell comfortable drilling into the bracket shoulder of the main itself. I bonded an aluminum plate for blocking on the backside of the cowl, I think I did the best I could for keeping the fiberglass in one piece.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #206 on: Apr 23, 2018, 05:43 AM »
Good progress and this has been a fun read.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

Mac Attack

« Reply #207 on: Apr 23, 2018, 08:34 AM »
Yep, I know I'm taking a chance but determined it was worth the risk. Did not fell comfortable drilling into the bracket shoulder of the main itself. I bonded an aluminum plate for blocking on the backside of the cowl, I think I did the best I could for keeping the fiberglass in one piece.

The backer was a question I was going to ask.
Still............

Good luck.

Jethro

« Reply #208 on: Apr 23, 2018, 08:57 AM »
The first version was not good. Used two of the bars and connected them. Was unable to trim either motor without binding and the motor would turn one way fine, but the other was super stiff. Really not smooth at all. So over the weekend I decided that risking the cowling was worth the risk. I epoxied a big piece of aluminum flatstock to the inside surface of the cowl.

GasBlaster

• Welcomes green fish !!
« Reply #209 on: Apr 23, 2018, 11:17 AM »
The first version was not good. Used two of the bars and connected them. Was unable to trim either motor without binding and the motor would turn one way fine, but the other was super stiff. Really not smooth at all. So over the weekend I decided that risking the cowling was worth the risk. I epoxied a big piece of aluminum flatstock to the inside surface of the cowl.

It looks like it the kicker was on the other side of the boat it would be ideal . It looks like you could mount the balls like you did in your first setup and run a short rod with no binding.  ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.