FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: How do you catch carp?  (Read 6841 times)

Basspro23

• Bass. A word that turns serious fisherman on.
How do you catch carp?
« on: May 01, 2010, 10:27 AM »
How do you catch carp in lakes? There is a tournament for the lake im going to and it is catfish and carp only. Just curious on what baits to use. The carp are HUGE. Do i need stronger line than 10 lb?
Fishing is the sport of drowning worms.

stoph

Re: How do you catch carp?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 11:22 AM »
 If chumming is legal, chum with a whole can of sweetcorn and creamed corn.  Use small single hooks, like size 6-8 roe bag hooks with 2 peices of corn on and the hookpoint fully exposed. Don't cheap out on hooks, get decent ones like gamagatsus or whatever (trying to land 30lb+ fish on small hooks that are cheap and weak is gonna be a nightmare!) keep away from trebles for carp in my opinion.
 10lb line is fine, use the longest heaviest rod you own to have more leaverage on the fish, keep your drag loose to start with, and just keep the rod tip high and play the fish wisely, they will turn with gentle pressure (after the first run, for that just hold on and let em go!)
 Keep your bait right on bottom with an oz+ of lead and be patient, its like trying to catch cows, they are in no rush, it can be frustrating at times but oh  so rewarding!
 Make sure line will pull from your reel VERY easily, keep the bail open even. you don't wanna get your rod and reel pulled in!

Check the carp species section, theres some good info on there.

and good luck!

skidplate

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 01:11 PM »
The only thing I can add to that is, use a sliding egg sinker so the fish can swim away with it, and might try like, #10-#12 Gamagatsu circle octopus hooks.
There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it.
 Ron Paul

Basspro23

• Bass. A word that turns serious fisherman on.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 10:08 AM »
Great! Thank you so much! This should help ;D
Fishing is the sport of drowning worms.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 01:10 AM »
Another good bait to try are earthworms / nightcrawlers.
They should catch both cats and carp. ;)

WW

tsmith17

• A day of bad fishing is still a good day.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 01:35 AM »
Use a hair rig. Check out this site for different rigs.... Good Luck.

http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7202&hl=hair+rig

slipperybob

« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2010, 05:18 PM »
I usually go with 10 or 14 lb Fireline.  For braid, maybe 20 or 30 lb.  Hooks generally for river fishing I will use #2 or #1 and weights of 1/2 oz to 1 oz.  Lakes fishing for carp, something I haven't done, I suppose I will defer back down to smaller hooks in #6 or #8 and weights of 1/4 to 3/8 oz.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.