FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Help with transponder location  (Read 3653 times)

[email protected]

Help with transponder location
« on: May 23, 2017, 01:32 PM »
Hi all, I am new to the forum and new to using fish finders in general. Due to our lake level being low I wanted to add a depth finder to my 21’ StarCraft and the fish finder was a bonus that I hope to use to rekindle my love of fishing. Little did I know how sensitive locating the transponder would be until I Googled and Youtubed the process but after an hour or more I still could not find a hull design matching mine. I think I know suitable location based on my research but would appreciate some verification from those with experience before I start drilling some holes. To complicate the issue further I have a slip so when I put the boat in the water I would prefer to not remove it until fall which will make tweaking the transponder location difficult. Yeah I know, wishful thinking…. Thank you in advance for any assistance or advice you can provide.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Help with transponder location
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 02:16 PM »
No, that is probably not a good place to put the ducer. It's possible that there will be a lot of interference in that area when on plane due to the chine. Also make sure you are mounting on the correct side depending on which way your prop rotates.

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 02:38 PM »
It is exactly where it should be mounted as it's the only (relative) horizontal surface on the transom.
And the least likely spot for turbulence.
(Sorry Jethro)

If you were to mount it on the "V", you would have a portion of the transducer below the hull line and this would create more turbulence.
Unless of course if you mounted it on the same angle as the hull.
But that would shoot the beam off to the side and down, on a hypotenuse, causing bad (deeper than normal) readings.

And that side of the motor is the correct side with a standard right hand rotation propeller.  (Like Jethro said)

Good luck.
Mac

[email protected]

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 04:17 PM »
Okay, thanks guys.... hummm two totally different answers. Now I guess I know why I was confused in the first place..... and then I find these two recommendations......   :-\

maybe I'll flip a coin.   :D ;D

filetandrelease

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 11:11 AM »
There are many you tubes on this , check them out ,mine is set up just like the lowrance you tube , mine seems to work  ok

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.