FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hull to Nahant opportunities  (Read 2772 times)

porkpiehat

Hull to Nahant opportunities
« on: Oct 13, 2017, 08:35 PM »
Trout gear is put away for the season and my boat normally is too but with the warm weather I thought I'd take the boat out into the harbor and fish tomorrow.

Only thing is I'm not used to salt fishing in the fall...not even sure what to target this time of year. I was thinking tautog but populations this far north are pretty low, yes? Any suggestions? My diving buddies say the water is warm as it has been all year and that tog are schooling, at least down in RI.

Much appreciated :)

stripernut

Re: Hull to Nahant opportunities
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2017, 08:53 PM »
Last week when Will and I where fishing Manchester to Beverly area, I watched the sounder whenever we were around a rock pile and only saw pollock (LOTS of pollock) and cunner, no tautog... That does not mean they are not there, but...

porkpiehat

« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2017, 09:01 PM »
I've only ever caught them on a speargun. Still researching rod-and-reel set up

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2017, 02:14 PM »
I use a Lexa 400 on a Musky rod and 40lb braid and have been very happy with the setup... You could even go a little lighter...

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2017, 02:52 PM »
Used to nail them on a 8ft musky innovations rod myself.  Then took the calcutta off and mated it to a trevala. 

porkpiehat

« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2017, 02:18 PM »
Went out in the harbor got a late start ended up being an all night foggy striper trip

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2017, 03:32 PM »
St. Croix Musky Rod and a Avet MX reel with either  50lb braid and a 3' leader of 40 lb mono or 40 lb test mono all the way. I actually have both set ups. Braid is better for vertical and mono for casting or shallow water.
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2017, 03:54 PM »
St. Croix Musky Rod and a Avet MX reel with either  50lb braid and a 3' leader of 40 lb mono or 40 lb test mono all the way. I actually have both set ups. Braid is better for vertical and mono for casting or shallow water.

Mono is better for casting?!?!?!? 
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2017, 06:22 AM »
For togs specifically, yes. Braid will cut on rocks when dragging a crab where as mono will withstand the abuse for a bit. If it were a casting competition then obviously braid is the winner but my post was specific to tatog set ups. Thats how I fish different structure and have no issues.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2017, 07:28 AM »
I use 65 pound braid to an albright or alberto and then a section of floro 5-6ft.  I fish breakwaters for them a lot and that gives me all the sensitivity and plenty of shock leader for the rocks.

stripernut

« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2017, 07:33 AM »
If I fished a lot of tall wrecks I to might fish all mono, but the vast majority of the time my flouro leader is more than long enough for tautog fishing and not only do I like the sensitivity but the lack of stretch too quickly pull the fish from the rocks with braid... Also at least for me every time I fish an outfit with just mono it feels like I am fighting the fish on a long rubber band and it takes much of the fun out of it...

porkpiehat

« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2017, 02:10 PM »
I have tomorrow off and will be taking my boat down to RI. Not sure of the actually destination making Block if conditions are right. If anyone else is going or wants to join let me know or PM

I trapped a bucket full of crabs fishing Southie last night. I'm guessing they can be bought down there if they don't make it?

stripernut

« Reply #12 on: Oct 19, 2017, 04:33 PM »
Best of luck, wish I could join you...

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Oct 20, 2017, 05:03 PM »
Good luck.  No issues with the crabs that I am aware of.

porkpiehat

« Reply #14 on: Oct 20, 2017, 06:36 PM »
Been a fun day here on sakannet point. Lost a lot you can't drift the same as for stripers. Several hits caught in the rocks. A few schoolies almost Made to the boat. Caught a scup. I should come into shore but I just found my headlamp and an extra beer :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.